Dynamite Kid Passed Away

The Four Horsemen

27 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Like many, you've got to separate the worker from the person because the person makes you despise the industry that enables him.

As a pro-wrestler, he was talented, innovative, influential and truly brilliant.

As a person, I honestly think life handed him its own commupence with the state he ended up in. He probably wished every day that he'd been nicer to people on the way up.

Your first statement is quite complicated to unpick: we've got people, workers, and industries at some kind of odds with each other. I don't think the worker can be completely separated from the person in this case, to which you seem to be alluding. Tom Billington was very much the Dynamite Kid. Other wrestlers have forged a clear separation of character and performer, but he wasn't one of them. He wasn't some fun loving guy off camera. He went out of his way to be a cunt and hurt people. And so what if this makes people despise the industry? It's a shit industry. The more people that despise it the better. 

He was talented and risk-taking in the same sense as the guys at Enron were. Now we know they were just unpleasant cunts who had a long-term negative effect on their chosen field, and it has nothing to do with mystical concepts of karma. He was the Chris Benoit of the 80s. Good thing he got crippled before he killed someone. This is a man who held a shotgun to his wife's head, UKFF feminists. It doesn't matter how "innovative" his matches were. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mick Foley tells stories where Dynamite Kid would purposely break rookies legs and laugh about it after..

It's a weird death to digest, he was such a legend in the ring but for the past 30 years he paid the price for such a careless life, to think he was in a wheelchair by mid 30s really makes you realise how much this guy abused his body.

It must have been hard being a man who once toured the world and then being stuck in a wheelchair in a flat in Wigan whilst all those you once rode with still are 'living the dream' in America.

1 hour ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Your first statement is quite complicated to unpick: we've got people, workers, and industries at some kind of odds with each other. I don't think the worker can be completely separated from the person in this case, to which you seem to be alluding. Tom Billington was very much the Dynamite Kid. Other wrestlers have forged a clear separation of character and performer, but he wasn't one of them. He wasn't some fun loving guy off camera. He went out of his way to be a cunt and hurt people. And so what if this makes people despise the industry? It's a shit industry. The more people that despise it the better. 

He was talented and risk-taking in the same sense as the guys at Enron were. Now we know they were just unpleasant cunts who had a long-term negative effect on their chosen field, and it has nothing to do with mystical concepts of karma. He was the Chris Benoit of the 80s. Good thing he got crippled before he killed someone. This is a man who held a shotgun to his wife's head, UKFF feminists. It doesn't matter how "innovative" his matches were. 

You can admire the talent and skill but not the person. They can be mutually exclusive (alas the Benoit situation is to far) 

Yes DK had character flaws and his behaviour is documented as terrible but I don't need to consider a guys marriage when I watch him wrestle.

I dont like Floyd mayweather as a person but admire his skill, dedication and achievement and enjoy watching him. 

It doesnt mean I'm like them or condone their actions. 

Same way I enjoy watching Dennis waterman on tv. Yes he was a cunt to his wives but that didn't stop me enjoying Minder. 

5 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

You can admire the talent and skill but not the person. They can be mutually exclusive (alas the Benoit situation is to far) 

Yes DK had character flaws and his behaviour is documented as terrible but I don't need to consider a guys marriage when I watch him wrestle.

I dont like Floyd mayweather as a person but admire his skill, dedication and achievement and enjoy watching him. 

Well, I actually you think you DO need to at least consider a person's personal life when you also think about their art/talent/whatever: That is fundamental to your enjoyment of their performance. You can consider Hitler a great public orator, but... otherwise wrestling fans like us are just begging the questiion.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

I didn't have to sign up. I had a one month ban following a spat with Spurs Riot. Now it's over, and I'm challenging one of your posts. Is that too much to bear?

No intention of debating with a troll. Find a different forum.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

You can consider Hitler a great public orator, but... 

Actually, I think that example might bolster the argument against your point. Nobody decent is in any doubt about what Hitler was, so it's perfectly fine to mention that he was a great orator, because we know that whoever is mentioning it already has that caveat in place.

12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Actually, I think that example might bolster the argument against your point. Nobody decent is in any doubt about what Hitler was, so it's perfectly fine to mention that he was a great orator, because we know that whoever is mentioning it already has that caveat in place.

And nobody "decent" should be in any doubt what a terrible human being the Dynamite kid was, so let's stop attempting misplaced empathy. Oh, I'm sorry: I'm "gutted" - I was just watching one of his matches this afternoon!

• Paid Members
Just now, Brewster McCloud said:

And nobody "decent" should be in any doubt what a terrible human being the Dynamite kid was, so let's stop attempting misplaced empathy. Oh, I'm sorry: I'm "gutted - I was just watching one of his matches this afternoon!"

I get that, and I agree, but I thought you made your point in counter to someone who was simply expressing admiration for his abilities as a wrestler, while acknowledging his horrendousness as a human being.

28 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I get that, and I agree, but I thought you made your point in counter to someone who was simply expressing admiration for his abilities as a wrestler, while acknowledging his horrendousness as a human being.

28 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Archived