It's Political Correctness Gone Mad!

Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, MungoChutney said:

A few years ago I complained to Roald Dahls publisher because the word slut appeared in the book I was reading to my son. They replied saying they wouldn't change it as when it was written slut simply meant dirty or unkempt woman. Well, that's alright then eh. 😕

I hope you signed off your email with "yours sincerely, an aggrieved reader and father from Glasgow" or something similar, to really let them know how cross you were about it. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to go full on and Tweet from my professional account and try to get the papers interested. Missus talked some sense into me unfortunately. 

I did actually email and say that I thought it was a stupid word in a kids book though and they replied giving the reason I said before. 

• Paid Members

The trouble is you used the wrong medium of communication Chutters. They know that any Tom, Dick, or Harriet (You have to put a woman in these days) can fire off an email when they are on the toilet going about their dirty business. Had you taken the time to write a letter to the publisher on some decent notepaper,  preferably in fountain pen you would have got a better response. Probably some free books, or book tokens. 

19 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

A few years ago I complained to Roald Dahls publisher because the word slut appeared in the book I was reading to my son. They replied saying they wouldn't change it as when it was written slut simply meant dirty or unkempt woman. Well, that's alright then eh. 😕

Historical context is important imo. Chances are if you are reading a book from another era, something is going to offend or upset you.

I would argue though that publishers should make an effort to inform readers of potentially upsetting content when it comes to older works. Especially if it's aimed at children.

I see where you are coming from, but imo it's important to keep classical works intact.

Perhaps an edited/updated version being released alongside the original would be a good compromise. Personally I'd stick with the original but parents would also have the option of a more modern society friendly edition.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

And Roald Dahl hated the jews.

“There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity”, he said. “I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason.”

On 12/15/2018 at 3:32 PM, Tommy! said:

“There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity”, he said.

There's nine seasons of Seinfeld that back this contention up, to be fair.

Archived