Killing Time on a Journey

AdamTH17

I like taking a few swigs from the bottle of rum before engaging the person in the seat next to me in leisurely discourse. If they don't at first respond to my gentle but pointed eyebrow-raising, they soon tend to perk up when I wave my hand before their face and ask them about whether or not they are, in fact, in the. mood for a proper conversation about the rain we've been having!

• Paid Members

Download some podcasts, maybe a movie or two or a few episodes of something I'm watching.  Maybe some albums, take my 3DS and play some streets of rage,heck if I know there's somewhere I can charge it I may even take my PSP.

• Paid Members
On 12/5/2018 at 4:32 AM, UK Kat Von D said:

I usually just answer emails and draw. Once I did a status on Facebook saying “I will PayPal £20 to whoever posts the best meme within the next 2 hours.”

For two hours I was getting new funny memes that really helped pass the time. It became more of a challenge to be the best than actually get the money. The winner saved one of my profile pictures and wrote “when you pretend to give £20 away just to see memes.” I sent him the money and then he donated it to the Women’s Aid charity. Happy ending all round, a lot of laughs were had and a few people outed themselves for numerous unfavourable opinions

5B0A68E2-2A8E-48D9-8079-3F28D9B4376B.gif

Viz is a must for journeys. Nothing quite like laughing like a git whilst people give you funny looks.

Reddit, Galaxy of heroes and this hive of scum and villainy help keep time condensed.

I take a book then don't bother with it. Although factfulness is my current read and it's amazing. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Is it acceptable to pass the time on a train journey by eating 5 hot dogs from a Tupperware box like the tiny lady next to me on a train currently?

Bun or no bun? Sauce? Size? These are all important details. 

• Paid Members

Podcasts. Used to be when I would catch up on new music, but between not buying as much music any more, and my iPod battery being fucked and draining really quickly if I press any buttons, it's easier to just be able to stick one hour+ long podcast on. Usually Omnibus Project and Athletico Mince.

I'll tend to pick up a copy of Viz, Private Eye or Fortean Times at the airport to tide me over, and usually have a book or two on the go.

My phone is a piece of shit, and I've never really been one for mobile gaming, but I have to admit to a pang of jealousy when I glanced over to the bloke next to me on the plane on Monday and saw him playing R-Type.

• Paid Members

I’m never prepared, always end up spending a shit load of money at Smiths etc. Sandwich meal deal, a copy of Retro Gamer or similar, a notebook and a pen. Almost every time.

Obviously it just results in me listening to a podcast and then having to walk about with a bloody carrier bag when we get there.

• Paid Members

I will usually listen to a podcast staring out of the window, before getting out a book and listening to music. 

Or as others have said, I will just constantly refresh twitter and reddit until it's the end of the journey.

• Paid Members
On 12/13/2018 at 11:26 AM, BomberPat said:

I'll tend to pick up a copy of Viz, Private Eye or Fortean Times at the airport to tide me over, and usually have a book or two on the go.

7 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m never prepared, always end up spending a shit load of money at Smiths etc. Sandwich meal deal, a copy of Retro Gamer or similar, a notebook and a pen. Almost every time.

Have you lads tried the Readly app yet? It's like a Netflix for magazines and Viz, Fortean Times and Retro Gamer are all there, with tons of back issues and those big bookazines too. Loads of other stuff on there as well (Metal Hammer, Rock Sound, Total Film, Stuff, Games TM, Edge etc).  it's a staggering amount of content. Quite a good little bit of kit to have in your pocket and there's usually some good free trials going round (for example, I picked up a two month subscription for £2 back in November).

Archived