Vince has BritWres in his pocket.

IANdrewDiceClay

16 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

The territory system was archaic and fell by the wayside. New, non-NWA territory promotions will have formed. A strong number two also emerged in that period. The wrestling industry didn’t die when the territory system collapsed, and it won’t die if WWE buys out PROGRESS and ICW.

A strong number two? Oh, you mean WCW who lost money year after year until they got lucky with the nWo but within a couple of years were sold to McMahon for 2.5 million dollars? 

I'll give you an excerpt from @JNLister's Slamthology book, the article "The truth about smoke-filled halls" from July 2002 deals with McMahon's national expansion and the overall effect on wrestling.

In 1983 at least 250 men made a full-time living as professional wrestlers, and there were at least 15 different employers with whom you could make a living. Today the workforce reaches 100 at a stretch, and if you don't want to work for Vince McMahon, you'd better start praying for the 'next big thing'.

In terms of revenue and profit, wrestling may well be more successful now than in 1983; that is the very nature of a monopoly (both as a supplier to the audience and as an employer). But the facts are that fewer people pay to see pro wrestling, fewer people watch it, fewer people make a living from it, and the business as a weekly live entertainment  form has been wiped out

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
27 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

On the whole, my only issue with WWE’s interest in Indy scene is that they hold onto their wrestlers way too long. The should let more current guys go who can go repackage themselves like Cody. Let guys freshen up for a few years before bringing them back while keeping the smaller promotions going and generating more wrestlers. Guys like Ziggler and Sheamus would be worth way more after two years away.

The roster needs to stay fresh, half of them have been there forever.

You’re absolutely right, but that’s not in their ethos. The very same ethos that wants the option to close down ‘opposition’. They have no interest in guys (such as Cody) doing awesome elsewhere, because in WWE’s mind their viewers will watch the alternative. If you’re not WWE, you’re the opposition.

They are too power hungry and greedy to allow anyone else to make money. They see it as their money, that they are losing, to the opposition.

Sadly predictable news. As has been referenced by myself and others both on this post and previously, WWE has form with this type of behaviour.

WWE started out working with quite a few territories in the 80's before ultimately absorbing them into the main product. I imagine this will be the same with the promotions mentioned.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I always find it a bit weird that people seem to use "they want to make money" as an insult or a slight on WWE somehow. It's a really strange criticism about a business.

It’s not an insult. It’s a reason for their behaviour.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I always find it a bit weird that people seem to use "they want to make money" as an insult or a slight on WWE somehow. It's a really strange criticism about a business.

There's a difference between making money via business, and resorting to underhand means or profiteering to make money. The former is perfectly respectable, the latter is fair game for criticism.

• Paid Members

Its also not an issue of "BritWres will be dead soon." Its more that WWE essentially have the option to make them do whatever they like in the future, because they hold all the cards now. Progress, ICW and the like will only grow to a point WWE deems acceptable. Progress and ICW have done some unbelievable things without the backing of a major wrestling promotion. Running massive arenas was unthinkable a few years back. But they did it. But the unthinkable will remain unthinkable because you will only grow to the size that Vince and Paul want. Seeing them hand the keys over to Triple H and be told the level to which they are allowed to go to is somewhat of a shame. RevPro used to have a good working agreement with WWE, but as soon a Andy Q didnt get in bed with them, they're now off the WWE radar and getting no favours from them.

Again, I'm not even saying its a bad thing on WWE's behalf. This is what they should be doing if they dont want anyone to break the monopoly in their biggest markets. But for me, the "punk rock" Progress and the rebels ICW who used to crow about how DIY they were have sold out their original mantra. Which again is fine, but dont spend years judging everything and then fold like Superman on laundry day.

6 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

There is a reason WWE have the monopoly, and it’s because they do business well. Even right now when the product is stale, they know how to get as much money as possible for it. While I think letting talent go to freshen them up is a good idea, I know the obvious drawbacks. They spend years building people up and developing them, letting them go to bring them back later on could backfire massively. 

I think it would work, but I don’t own the biggest wrestling company ever. According to EWR I’d smash it though. 

9 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

But for me, the "punk rock" Progress and the rebels ICW who used to crow about how DIY they were have sold out their original mantra. Which again is fine, but dont spend years judging everything and then fold like Superman on laundry day.

At the end of the day, the people that run those companies are just wrestling fans, and like most wrestling fans they go all giggly and light-headed when someone like Triple H offers to stop by and pose for a few photos and shake their hand.

There's fuck all "punk rock" about wrestling. If the people running those shows were legit in their beliefs they'd be running underground MMA companies, where the fighters don't wear gloves, and the fights take place in those areas under overhead motorways surrounded by trashcan bonfires.

Now that's some punk rock shit right there. 

You know what, why can’t we just say well done! For years we’ve been screaming for a UK brand and now we have it people are saying the WWE are killing the UK scene by tying down THEIR stars.

Well done to all the guys who are earning more money, have a WWE contract and are bettering their life.

Secondly, I’ve no affiliation to either of these promotions it’s nice to see them get into big arenas and such like but if they are gone who really cares? There will be others and usually the one that stick their head above the parapet do slightly better than those before them. 

Lets just sit back and enjoy. 

43 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

David, have you ever met a punk or have you only seen them in films?

Unfortunately I'm at the age where I encountered the real deal from back in the day, not the faux trendies in leather jackets of today. 

• Paid Members

40 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

As much as I love going 'I told you so' I hope I don't have to in this case....

So do we, but not for the reasons you think.

I really feel it’s in the best interests of the scene to embrace it 

although Wwe are signing stars and possibly buying out companies, said companies will likely be replaced by a nxtuk touring brand featuring top stars from all areas of the UK under one brand.

those with affiliations outwith Wwe will continue to flourish as they will be able to offer things that others can’t due to the restrictions.

Everyone will do all right out of this, to be honest some of the restrictions are weighted towards smaller promotions  being run out of business, for example forking out extra for medical staff. But maybe some of these promotions have poorer business practices and - again perhaps in the interest of the scene - need to go away for good?

Archived