Great performance, poor angle/storyline/segment

stefan

There are segments that are very bad, but at least they have some redeeming in value in form of a great performance by someone involved.

I can think of the following:

Eric Bischoff as priest in the Billy & Chuck wedding on Smackdown 2002. This storyline didn't really lead to much other than a forgettable Billy & Chuck vs 3 Minute Warning tag match as the RAW vs Smackdown feud was never really resolved. So in hindsight they put way to much time into this that could have been better used for something else, but Bischoff's performance is really brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhxhv_LrWk

Vince McMahon being fired by the board of directors on RAW in 2011. This angle was one big mess, but Vince does a great job here.

https://youtu.be/5ea8yAaZ31g?t=639

Other examples?

Christopher Lee once said that actors will inevitably be in something rubbish, the key is not to be rubbish in it.  Blindfold matches are usually cack, but Rick Martel was brilliant in the one with Jake The Snake.  His body language was perfect for a cowardly, shit scared bad guy.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, stefan said:

Eric Bischoff as priest in the Billy & Chuck wedding on Smackdown 2002. This storyline didn't really lead to much other than a forgettable Billy & Chuck vs 3 Minute Warning tag match as the RAW vs Smackdown feud was never really resolved. So in hindsight they put way to much time into this that could have been better used for something else, but Bischoff's performance is really brilliant.

That's just a great angle full stop. The bait and switch is a bit cheap but Bischoff is ace, 3MW are not useless for once, and don't break anyone's ribs, and Billy and Chuck were always entertaining.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Christopher Lee once said that actors will inevitably be in something rubbish, the key is not to be rubbish in it.  Blindfold matches are usually cack, but Rick Martel was brilliant in the one with Jake The Snake.  His body language was perfect for a cowardly, shit scared bad guy.

That's a brilliantly executed match. It's a naff concept but they worked it brilliantly. Martel is the star though. He takes some ridiculous bumps and the crowd, as into Jake as they are, are pissing their pants at Martel at times.

First one that came to my mind was Sgt Slaughter in that Warrior match at Rumble 1991. The title switch is an absolute disgrace and Slaughter is a horrendous choice for heel World Champion at that point but fair play to him for bumping like a mad man for Warrior.

• Paid Members

I always wished I'd seen Billy and Chuck's wedding blind. I went in already knowing the Bischoff twist. Of those who watched it live or not knowing ahead of time, was Bischoff's performance good enough to where you didn't know it was him?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I always wished I'd seen Billy and Chuck's wedding blind. I went in already knowing the Bischoff twist. Of those who watched it live or not knowing ahead of time, was Bischoff's performance good enough to where you didn't know it was him?

It had me fooled, I’ll admit.

15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I mentioned it in your thread about getting it right. Had no idea until a second or so after he said three minutes for a second time. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Dusty, his whole run.

They can say it wasnt a rib but we all know it was. Yet he played it like a pro and still got himself over no matter what they saddled him with

Saddling the multiple time NWA champion with the polka dots? Dusty made the most of it and it worked:

Archived