MMA is shite: Fury vs Wilder

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i aint so sure about cracking, i just think Wilder's really playing up on this split personality thing hes trying to put across about becoming The Bronze Bomber. He was getting in a few reporters faces yesterday, i think he knows what hes doing. Cracking gimmick.

I've seen a few pundits and suchlike say that for years Wilder was an unknown, just going in there and winning fights, but this is different. He knows that if he wins this he's up for a huge payday that will set him up for life. That's pressure.

In order to get there though, he has to get past a guy who is, if we're honest, the perfect prototype for beating someone like Wilder. He can claim that Klitschko didn't throw any punches and other nonsense, but the point he keeps avoiding is why he didn't throw many punches.

It wasn't because he just decided, after almost 70 professional fights, that he didn't want to try to win. He couldn't get his punches off. His game plan wasn't effective because Fury fought in such a manner as to make that happen.

Fury's an idiot, except when it comes to boxing. He's got this weird knack for knowing how to not only fight, but actually box. At his size he's really got no right to be as agile and skilled as he is. 

If someone as intelligent as Klitschko couldn't figure out how to beat Fury then this walloper who can hardly string a sentence together without using misplaced words has next to no chance. Wilder has a boxing IQ of next to zero.

He's a puncher, that's all he has. Break it right down and he's a wild brawler with a hard punch. I'll choose a skilled technical boxer over a guy like that 99 times out of 100.

It just comes down to if this is the 1 time out of 100 that a wild brawler can land a clean shot on a technical boxer. I give Wilder 3 rounds to get the job done. If he doesn't at least drop Fury in that timeframe he's going to be experiencing a bigger man leaning on him, holding him, stalling and making him tired for the first time in his career.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I keep changing my mind on this. It’s such a weird fight when you factor in both mens’ odd styles plus the questions on Fury. But I keep coming back the the same thing and I just can’t see Fury avoiding a bomb for 12 rounds. He’s by far the better boxer for me. Skill for skill he’s superior IMO, plus he moves better and he can mix it up. But he’s going to catch one at some point and I’m not sure he withstands it. He’s tough as fuck but tough only takes you so far. When you get switched off you’re switched off. People keep saying he’s got off the canvas before and won and that’s true but Pajkic and Cunningham weren’t the kind of punchers that Wilder is. His one shot power is freaky and even if he stuns you but doesn’t knock you straight out, he’s good at swarming and finishing the job off. I won’t be shocked if Fury wins. It’s one of the those fights. He’s good enough that I could definitely see him outboxing Wilder to a lopsided decision. Wilder has never faced anyone like Fury who’s so big and moves and boxes like he does. But there’s something in my gut telling me Wilder lands big at some point and closes the show. 

I don’t really care that much who wins, to be honest. I find Wilder much more likeable personally but I can’t help admire what Fury’s achieved already with his comeback. Just being back in the ring from where he was a year or so ago is a huge accomplishment. Either way, I’m not massively arsed who wins. I just hope it sets up the massive Joshua fight either way for sometime next year. 

What’s the score with this fight actually? Is there a rematch clause for Wilder or Fury, or both ways? 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

What’s the score with this fight actually? Is there a rematch clause for Wilder or Fury, or both ways? 

That was the talk a few months back. Rematch is in the future of both men.

I agree, wand. I just have not a clue who to pick. Their road to victory has been made clear, but we need to see on the night how either man can implement it. I agree with Fury's old man, in that he definitely should have had a couple more fights under him before he took this; someone should have had a proper word with him about that. It's commendable (or daft) Fury fancies his chances against a beast like Wilder with only two fights against your Uncle Dave and Steve from the bookies.

Plenty of experts that have a clue reckon Fury boxes the face off AJ and Wilder, but that's with the * of the Fury that became the man.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it does seem like Fury might’ve took the fight a bit too soon. He could’ve done with a couple more Uber drivers to practice on. If Fury had never retired and been active all the way through since the Klitschko win I’d be fancying his chances a lot more. But there’s enough doubt there now that I’m really uncertain. 

I can see why Fury took the fight now though. Even if it wasn’t the absolute ideal time to do so. With the Joshua-Wilder talks breaking down it was the perfect time to swoop in while Wilder’s name was a hot topic and bag a big payday against a man who basically has a punchers chance. Granted Wilder’s ‘punchers chance’ is better than pretty much anyone’s but you can see Fury’s logic in fancying that. And if he didn’t jump on it now, who knows when he’d have got it? If AJ vs Wilder somehow got made for April they’d be locked into rematch clauses and shit and Fury would be on the sidelines and having to take a fight with a Whyte or whoever while it sorted itself out. It’s a gamble worth taking IMO, undeniable risk but the rewards are huge. A win here sets him up for monster paydays in a Wilder rematch and the Joshua fight. And if he has a rematch clause then even with a loss he gets another crack and it’ll be spun as ‘Fury took the fight too soon, this time he’ll be 100%’ etc. 

2 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

I cant remember a boxing match where such various outcomes seem possible.

Do you think there's that many possible outcomes though? Really?

For me it'll be a case of Wilder doing what he does and catching Fury, putting him down, Fury gets back up, Wilder catches him again and the ref steps in to stop it, or it'll be Wilder getting outboxed and losing a lopsided easy decision to the better boxer.

I'd say it's probably about 70/30 in favour of Fury, simply because in most cases an actual boxer will manage to outbox someone with heavy hands.

Wilder is being built up as some unstoppable machine because he's from the US. To me, he's no different from a Dillian Whyte or a Dereck Chisora, with better reach. If he'd spent the majority of his career in the UK I think he'd have been found out before now as the limited fighter he is. The US heavyweight scene has been a joke for years now.

Is Fury is half the fighter he was against Klitschko he'll box circles round Wilder. 

• Paid Members

What's Fury's ability like as regards countering? Usually that's something high-level boxers can do, and it can be a hell of an equaliser against a big puncher, using their own power and momentum against them.

Wilder could be another Jeff Lacy for all we know. Fury could make him look silly for 12, Fury could KO him, he doesnt seem to have a granite chin. Those stick legs are not a solid foundation either. 

Wilder could spark Fury at anytime. 

It could be a bit of a war or a 12 round snooze fest. I wpuldnt be suprised at any of the above tbh

3 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Wilder could be another Jeff Lacy for all we know. Fury could make him look silly for 12, Fury could KO him, he doesnt seem to have a granite chin. Those stick legs are not a solid foundation either. 

Wilder could spark Fury at anytime. 

It could be a bit of a war or a 12 round snooze fest. I wpuldnt be suprised at any of the above tbh

Yeah, some good points actually, well taken. I also think the size may be a factor, as we all know Fury is no stranger to making it work for him, leaning on fighters, making them tired and shit like that.

Anyone else finding the Freddie Roach/Fury love in a bit strange? Freddie trying to stay relevant perhaps?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/tyson-fury-vs-deontay-wilder-fight-date-what-time-latest-press-conference-sky-training-a8660056.html

The closer it gets the more I am talking myself into Fury shithousing him for 12 rounds and taking a decision.

Archived