MMA is shite: Fury vs Wilder

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I donā€™t know. I can see him preferring the Joshua fight now. Furyā€™s the worst style for him and heā€™s only going to get sharper with another training camp. I think both Fury and Joshua are better thanĀ Wilder but, if youā€™re Wilder,Ā at least Joshua is a bit of an easier target to hit and a more conventional style to prep for. I really think the only reason Team Wilder accepted the Fury fight in the first place was because they thought he wouldnā€™t be ready and was takingĀ it too soon. Now theyā€™ll not only know that heā€™s back in top form, they also know he can take Wilderā€™s punch and get up. Heā€™s a nightmare for Wilder and on top of that, Joshua is the real payday. If Iā€™mĀ Wilder, why risk Fury cocking that up? I think he might fight AJ next, try to unify the belts and then rematch Fury once heā€™s made that big bank. Heā€™s losing to either man IMO, so he might as well cash out.Ā 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reported by BBC: The WBC have sanctioned a rematch and have relieved Wilder from his mandatory challenge to allow it.

The WBC has sanctioned a "direct rematch" between heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury.

Britain's Fury and American Wilder sharedĀ a controversial and thrilling draw in Los Angeles on Saturday.

Both fighters have said they want a rematch, whileĀ Fury is pushing for it to be in the UK.

The WBC said in a statement there was a "unanimous agreement" to sanction a rematch in a meeting of the board of governors.

"Wilder and Fury gave boxing one of the best fights in the heavyweight division in a long time, which has created tremendous popular demand for the fans to see a rematch," it said.

"The WBC is happy to confirm a direct rematch has been approved."

Wilder's mandatory challenger is Dominic Breazeale but this decision by the WBC clears the way for him to fight Fury again next without being stripped of his belt.

Although Fury was knocked down in the ninth and 12th rounds, many observers thought the 30-year-old Briton should have won the bout, which was scored 115-111 for Wilder, 114-112 for Fury and 113-113.

Fury's promoter Frank Warren said he and the British Boxing Board of Control would write to the WBC demanding another bout and asking for an explanation of the scoring, with Mexican judge Alejandro Rochin having awarded Wilder seven of the 12 rounds.

Fury said he had "never seen a worse decision in my life" and described it as a "gift" for his opponent.

In an Instagram post in response, Wilder, 33, said: "You saw the best Fury but you did not get the best Wilder and I still managed to get the job done."

Wilder alsoĀ questioned if referee Jack Reiss' count was too slowĀ in Fury's remarkable rise from the canvas in the 12th round,Ā which Reiss denied.

We may be in Vegas in May - analysis

BBC Radio 5 live boxing analyst Steve Bunce

Fury and Wilder both want the rematch but I'm not sure where it will be. Had Fury got the decision I am convinced the rematch, 100%, would be in May in this country.

I think there will already be an offer in from Las Vegas given how many Brits will go. Don't be surprised if we are going to Vegas in May.

Ā 

18 hours ago, David said:

I like Rogan, but the dude is so obviously one of those types who knows a little bit about everything, but not an awful lot about anything. He'll know enough about boxing to be able to interview Wilder, and the Joshua stuff he'll have got from watching interviews with Finkel and Wilder's team.

Well, kind of. There's nothing wrong with being one of those types. He's at his best when he takes a back seat to the guest and just lets them talk. He's had some great guys on his podcast - Jon Ronson, Louis Theroux, Derren Brown, Jake the fucking Snake. He can be guilty of slipping into alt-rightism, but I'll cut the guy some slack because he's just smart enough. I don't think he pretends to be an intellectual heavyweight, and he's always engaged and interested when someone posits a different point of view to his own.Ā "Really? That's fascinating..." He's a good egg.

He is, though, mates with that mongoloid Alex Jones, which is something he should probably check himself about.

A decent little write-up on the return of Fury by a psychiatristĀ non-boxing fan'

Ā 

As a psychiatrist whose job is to preserve healthy minds, it feels a little unusual to be championing a mental health advocate who punches people in the head for a job. But thatā€™s where I find myself withĀ Tyson Fury.

On Sunday, having set my alarm for silly oā€™clock in the morning, I got up, boiled the kettle and sat down to watch two grown men try toĀ knock each other into states of unconsciousness; the kind Iā€™d always been taught to avoid at medical school. Iā€™m not really a fan of boxing. Besides the risk of chronic traumatic encephalopathy induced by a head injury (ā€œpunch-drunk syndromeā€), Iā€™ve never understood how bloody violence is permissible in society so long as itā€™s within a ring?

I didnā€™t naturally warm to Fury either; the brash, outspoken fighter, who expressed archaic views on women and homosexuals and whoseĀ father was jailed in 2011 for gouging someoneā€™s eye out.

In 2015 Fury defeated Wladimir Klitschko toĀ take three world heavyweight titles, fulfilling his lifelong dream. But feeling no subsequent sense of purpose heĀ spiralled into madnessĀ ā€“ my area of expertise. ā€œWhen youā€™ve won all the world title belts thereā€™s nothing else after that,ā€ he said. He fell into depression which was closely followed by its good friend, addiction. He looked for salvation in alcohol, drugs and grimy strip clubs. ā€œIā€™ve been living like a rock star. But that ainā€™t a great thing.ā€ He received a drugs ban, and suicidal thoughts led him to nearly drive his Ferrari off a bridge at 190mph. ā€œI prayed for death on a daily basis,ā€ Fury said.

Itā€™s a harmful misconception that the mentally ill donā€™t recover. To many fans, Fury joined previous sporting heroes in a spiral of addiction and attempted recovery. Athletes return from pulled hamstrings and fractured metatarsals but mental scars take longer to heal, if at all, they said.

Yet 12 months later and Fury had shed 10 stone, along with his demons, and was taking on hard man heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder. Help had come in the form of a psychiatrist, a psychotherapist, family support, regular exercise, abstinence and renewed faith.

Before the fight a BBC journalist asked: why did you shave the beard off? ā€œNew look, new day, new dawn, new me.ā€ What would it mean to be the heavyweight champion of the world? ā€œNot a great deal.ā€ Itā€™d be nice to go home with the belt though? Fury said yes but itā€™s no different from a nice jacket, watch or car. ā€œIā€™m not going to make love to the belt, am I? The most important thing is going home to my family and enjoying Christmas.ā€

This insight, that the carrots we often chase in life arenā€™t the ones that nourish us, is one we donā€™t often expect to hear from 6ft 9in man-mountains. Wisdom on the emptiness of materialism is usually left to philosophers ā€“ not boxers.

As a smiling Fury danced around the ring in Los Angeles, a man no longer lost in a cloud of depression, I thought of the people who experience mental illness as a dark room with no door. The UK is neck-deep in a mental heath crisis. The mood is gloomy, but the Gypsy King embodied the recovery model in practice, to a global audience. This is what Iā€™d woken up for.

Then in the 12th round Fury was brutally floored with a Wilder hammer-blow. ā€œGet up, get up!ā€ I pleaded into my laptop, my cup of tea sloshing over the duvet. But he was out cold, eyes rolled back, the umpire counting him out: ā€œ3ā€¦ 4ā€¦ 5ā€¦ā€

I could hear the pessimistic words strangers tell me at parties ringing in my ears: ā€œPeople never really get better from mental illness.ā€ But Fury peeled himself off the canvas, regained his feet, and saw out a dramatic draw.

ā€œI ainā€™t a special human being,ā€ Fury said afterwards. ā€œIā€™m just a normal man. But with the right help and the right guidance,Ā anyone can turn their life around.ā€

The judges controversially scored the bout as a draw thereby robbing Fury of one of the great sporting comebacks. Not that he seemed to care. Post-fight he pledged toĀ donate his Ā£8m feeĀ to the homeless and declared: ā€œFor all the people out there with mental health problems, I did it for you guys.ā€

Because as they say; itā€™s not the winning, itā€™s the taking partially acknowledged myths and rewriting them that counts.

Ā 

Ā 

Agreed on the BT stuff. If Fury's team was pitched this kind of coverage before he signed with Warren then it makes more sense now that he went in this direction. He's went from being a laughing stock to a legit star in boxing, second only in the heavyweight division to Joshua, and even then I'd argue that it's razor close as to who's more well known today.

• Paid Members

sorry to drag the scoring back up, but i only found today that the judge who scored it a draw only scored the one knockdown round 10-9. If he'd scored it as most people automatically do as a 10-8 Wilder would have won a split decision. I think the internet would have melted down if he had.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

sorry to drag the scoring back up, but i only found today that the judge who scored it a draw only scored the one knockdown round 10-9. If he'd scored it as most people automatically do as a 10-8 Wilder would have won a split decision. I think the internet would have melted down if he had.

You mean one of those useless sods did something right? As I said earlier in the discussion, if boxer A is outboxing boxer B for most of the round, gets caught by a shot from boxer B and goes down, only to get back up and then increase the pressure and further outbox boxer B for the rest of the round then it should never be a 10-8.Ā 

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, i asked the question though, is that actually how its meant to be scored though? it just seems to be widely assumed that it is.Ā 

I think it's at the discretion of the judge in question. In 99% of fights when a guy gets dropped they spend the rest of the round hanging on, being defensive so a 10-8 makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh its rare to have the knocked down fighter get up win the rest of the round. If they do shouldnt it even be scored a 9-9? i dont fucking knowšŸ˜„

I'd have scored it a 9-9 if Fury had gotten up, dominated and then dropped Wilder as well. As it was, Fury deserves credit for boxing most of the round perfectly and for coming back so strong after the knock down, but Wilder deserves credit for knocking him down. A 10-9 sounds about right to me.

I thinkĀ šŸ¤”Ā šŸ˜

Archived