All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Fantastic article, @Liam O'Rourke!

I wonder, since Jericho showed up to the rally looking like he'd at least had a wash and bought a new suit, will he leave the chubby brawler character in Japan and bring a more traditional version of Y2J to America?

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed his work in Japan, but I don't think this is what people expect when they hear Chris Jericho has signed with that new wrestling company.

image.png.028b4293bdcb6abfb45fc0e7bb812fc0.png

It's mad that New Japan did that Triple Threat Match with Cody late last year rather than waste the big Kenny Omega vs. Kota Ibushi singles match, and now it's looking likely that it'll be AEW who end up doing that match instead. That could easily main event the biggest AEW show.

Also, has anyone seen former UFC fighter Tom Lawlor wrestle? Is he any good. He feels like he'd be a good fit.

Edited by Supremo

7 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

It doesn't. There are plenty of successful promotions that don't have a weekly TV show. But they're small-time.

Don't get me wrong. TV is massively important. UFC have TV rights and so do the major Boxing promotions. But wrestling seem to have this fascination with this live tv soap opera concept.

Why not a 1 hour or 90 min show that builds to the monthly big event.

I dunno. I guess I would go more sports than entertainment if I was to start a new promotion. Be as far away from  wwe as possible. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

"All In" and "Double Or Nothing" are both gambling terms, so there is a consistency with them.  Although I think it'll end up not being "Triple Crown", but more "£500, on the nose, on Sad Ken"

Visually impaired, little and large tag team called Big Blind/Little Blind. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

Some interesting remarks on Kevin Kelly's Twitter today.

Likening this to Turner buying out Crockett is up there with fantasy booking Goldberg v Punk for Sad Ken Has Been Shot.

• Moderators

Kevin "Bang Average" Kelly there. I can understand people getting excited about the possibility of Kenny Omega but being excited about a mid 90s 4th string WWF announcer joining is scraping the barrel a bit.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Kevin "Bang Average" Kelly there. I can understand people getting excited about the possibility of Kenny Omega but being excited about a mid 90s 4th string WWF announcer joining is scraping the barrel a bit.

I agree he's hardly worth getting excited about but I've always thought that Kevin Kelly was a pretty good announcer, solid hand shall we say. What little I've heard of him over recent years has done nothing to change that tbh.

• Paid Members

Tony (first name terms) was meant to be the announcer at All In, but he had to do his baseball on the Sunday so couldnt go. Hopefully they put him under contract. He's the best out there by a mile at the minute.

Apparently, for all their crowing about health insurance and equal rights, there's going to be NO WELLNESS POLICY! I mean fucking lol! I get it, the amount of pain killers these indy guys are on, I can see why, but still. All that shite about changing the business, and they're not going to have drug testing? That's both careless and smart I suppose. All those wrestlers desperate to get on the shit will be attracted to them now.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

They should have had a UFC style press conference with all the talent sitting there and bouncing off each other.

I'd have a backdrop of the logos, sponsors and the date and location of the MGM Event.

I'd get Michael Buffer in to be MC for the big events as he doesn't have HBO anymore.

I'd get Ryback and Big Dave in ASAP. That's a cracking world heavyweight title match to start with.

Tbh I would have waited until TV was confirmed and all of the major talent was signed before doing anything.

Make it look legit and important not naff and small time.

Edited by BigJackTaylor

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BigJackTaylor said:

They should have had a UFC style press conference with all the talent sitting there and bouncing off each other.

I'd have a backdrop of the logos, sponsors and the date and location of the MGM Event.

I'd get Michael Buffer in to be MC for the big events as he doesn't have HBO anymore.

I'd get Ryback and Big Dave in ASAP. That's a cracking world heavyweight title match to start with.

Tbh I would have waited until TV was confirmed and all of the major talent was signed before doing anything.

Make it look legit and important not naff and small time.

It's irrelevent. The people who watched it were watching anyway. The people who liked it were liking it anyway. the people who are moaning were moaning anyway.

The people who determine whether it's another solid indy or a mainstream wrestling company don't know it exists yet and won't until it has TV and starts advertising. Everything else is a tease.

• Paid Members

Whilst I can understand wanting to make a more professional sports-style product, I think anyone doing so needs to be careful as to which elements they take. Press conferences and weigh-ins, for example: pressers make sense for World titles, but I really don't think weigh-ins are a good idea. You'd have to have weigh-ins for every match, and it's important to bear in mind that wrestlers "fight" much, much more frequently than boxers or MMA fighters actually fight, and wrestling events are much more frequent in general than MMA or boxing ones. Imagine having weigh-ins, even just for the main events of TV shows, every single week? Would get old really quickly.

Let's assume you'd just have them for PPV - you'd have to establish early on that all other weigh-ins are behind closed doors, I guess.