MPDTT

All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

Just now, David said:

Yeah, but we're discussing this analysis and punditry from a sporting standpoint, remember? The OP mentioned MOTD, which is the point I was addressing. I don't think such an approach would work.

True, but we're still discussing the sporting standpoint of analysis and punditry through a pro-wrestling filter. That's the thing people shouldn't lose sight of, I think. They've said they're looking at a "more" sporting-based approach, not a "completely" sporting-based one. The nature of pro-wrestling is such that the toothpaste can't be shoved back in the tube.

Besides, Cody and Co. have already set the tone themselves, and it's not exactly ESPN. Would look weird if they tried to do that after everything they've done to build up All In and Double or Nothing.

10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

And that's another thing: I really hope they don't have a bloody authority figure, and if they absolutely insist on it, that it only be like Jack Tunney, only showing up to make the odd announcement when it's really called for.

Well, now he is out of a job, only one man should be brought in

lnc4vuM.jpg

Max Beesley Sr

I hope Triple H is laughing in his face at the Performance Center whilst thinking, “I wonder if Vince still has the DX tank?”

Imagine the disappointment if AEW turns out to be a well run but boring company that just pumps out product (like ROH) and not a clusterfuck like WCW or TNA. No-one wants that.

Going back to the Hebner thing, is AEW aimed at the uber fan and the lapsed fan?  I'm the latter, I've no idea who half the people they announce are but I sure know who Hebner is.  If I tune in to a new show and see familiar faces as well as emerging ones I've never seen before, I'm going to be more likely to watch again.

I hate the idea of washed up guys like Jr and Hebner being involved on screen. Hideous idea. Let new guys take stage. Most of these types aren't in WWE for a reason be irrelevance or poor showings in recent years. JR is a classic example. 

Use the original commentary crew for sure. They were gold. 

17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Going back to the Hebner thing, is AEW aimed at the uber fan and the lapsed fan?  I'm the latter, I've no idea who half the people they announce are but I sure know who Hebner is.  If I tune in to a new show and see familiar faces as well as emerging ones I've never seen before, I'm going to be more likely to watch again.

This is it for me. While I'd also tune in got the chaotic clusterfuck that Rick described, I'm planning to catch this mainly off the back of them booking Cody vs Dustin.

If Earl's there in a largely ceremonial role, great. If he's actually refereeing regularly - dude's 70 years old. I can't picture him working well alongside the kind of super-indie fast-paced matches you'll get from the likes of the Lucha Bros, Kenny Omega or the Young Bucks. Particularly when they already have one of, if not the best, referee in the world in Bryce Remsburg.

Thing is, what's the chances they bring in Hebner just to be a rank & file official? Why go to the trouble? Either he's going to be mainly a backstage hand (which would be fine), or we're going to see him involved in angles, aren't we? The evil ref gimmick, some shit like that.

I must be honest, I'm really looking forward to this. I'm hoping this statistical analysis thing will push their matches to be less "spot-festy" and instead go back to when wresters would make sure that every move was done for a kayfabe reason, and not because it just looks good... 

I'm in a house with three kids who are all in the midst of their WWE mega-fandom, so between the Network and DoN PPV costs etc, I can see me spending more on wrestlng than I have done in years...

A part of me thought maybe they could do the whole referee pundit thing that BT Sport does with the football, i.e. whether or not a decision was a foul, etc., but then realised he'd be constantly highlighting some of the worst things about wrestling logic.

Edited by Carbomb

47 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm the same. Seeing Glaciers name mentioned for the battle royal got my interest. 

It's a fine line. People like myself and presumably you would get more interested seeing Sean Mooney pop up for an interview than seeing certain 5*matches. I too hope they can find a balance of good cameos and emerging talent that brings in all types of fan.

Overall with AEW, I'm looking forward to watching it play out. At this stage I don't care if its soapy, serious, comedy, sporty or whatever. I just want something a bit fresher and more engaging than what I've seen from WWE the past while.

This year was my first year not even bothering watching Mania. After forcing myself to watch the last few Manias and supershows I gave up this year, mainly due to the runtime. It's just cumbersome. Anything, even if AEW does have it's flaws, is welcomed by me now, just to get me back interested in wrestling.