MPDTT

All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

Brick by brick, the Elite and the Khans have done a great job.

Back in November, when we started this thread about mere trademarks being filed, none of us - me included - anticipated they would end up on TNT and ITV. Competition is a good thing for fans and talent and it will be very interesting to see where this goes from here. 

Can't wait to get out to Vegas next week! 

Less "soapy" turns me off, personally, but we knew it was going to be like that anyway. I gotta give them a hand tho, they're really going for this and I hope it does well.

One thing that does get me a little excited if this goes well, we could possibly see competition in the video game market at least.

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Less "soapy" turns me off, personally, but we knew it was going to be like that anyway. I gotta give them a hand tho, they're really going for this and I hope it does well.

One thing that does get me a little excited if this goes well, we could possibly see competition in the video game market at least.

They've already heavily hinted a game with by the Aki team who did Virtual Pro Wrestling/No Mercy. That's as big a reason as any, personally, for me to want this to succeed.

One of the reasons I'm actually a bit pessimistic about this is that it feels like I’m exactly the audience that this seems to be targeted at and to be frank a lot of stuff that feels that way bombs commercially!

Edited by BrodyGraham

I'm expecting Janela style match announcement videos far more exciting than the matches.

Fuck it, I'll give the PPV a shot. I've pretty much stopped watching wrestling altogether, but this and MLW has grabbed my attention.

2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yep. Constantly referring to themselves as more sport-orientated is easily the most alarming thing so far. Who the fuck wants that? I want a fun soap opera with interesting storylines, mixed with boss matches. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out but if nothing else at least it'll be something new and different, which has never felt more needed in this industry.

Is Jim Ross actually announcing? Whilst I'm certain he can be useful backstage, surely everyone is in agreement that he's long since past it at the desk?

I'm interested in the 'less soapy' approach. It doesn't need to mean 'fewer storylines', but just fewer storylines that take place during the show itself. If they use BTE, an AEW channel and wrestlers' own social media as a way to build up storylines and interactions, along with 3-4 promoted matches on a 1 hour TV show, that could be a really interesting way to go. They can still show packages, have commentators talk about the build-ups, etc, and they can still run angles... but not with an authority figure setting up the show at the start of the night. And if they cut down on that during the show itself, that could make for more simple TV.

Also, if wrestlers are doing more of their own storylines/characters, etc, that could mean the builds have more of a sketch-show feel than a drama feel, where they build stuff up in unconnected, different ways, but the TV show only uses what works for the show.

Either way, I'm interested in what they do - I was sold on All In, sold on Double or Nothing, and very up for what they do next. I'm also hoping that Jericho wandering back to NJPW means the NJPW partnership is officially back up and running sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If they use BTE, an AEW channel and wrestlers' own social media as a way to build up storylines and interactions,

That just sounds like hard work to me, having to actively search for things outside of the show to get the angles isn't for me. And yeah, I'm lazy, I want to be able to sit back and have it all fed to me within the 2(?) hours of TV.

Edited by Merzbow

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

That just sounds like hard work to me, having to actively search for things outside of the show to get the angles isn't for me.

grandad GIF

I'm joking, obviously - but think about how Becky Lynch's social media stuff got everyone more excited than most of what they did on TV. I've got BTE on my regular Monday watch-list, and it's usually 10-20 minutes long, so it's not like it's adding huge amounts. If you're not showing everyone every week and trying to run 3 hours of storylines, it's not like you're trying to make up that 3 hours of stuff every week elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Fuck it, I'll give the PPV a shot. I've pretty much stopped watching wrestling altogether, but this and MLW has grabbed my attention.

Just ordered it myself

Been moaning about the lack of a viable alternative for years, so I'm giving them a chance.

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

That just sounds like hard work to me, having to actively search for things outside of the show to get the angles isn't for me. And yeah, I'm lazy, I want to be able to sit back and have it all fed to me within the 2(?) hours of TV.

Yep. Even though I have access to WWE's many social media accounts any time of day, I usually take those tidbits as non-cannon at worst or minor world building at best. Ultimately, when we're talking about a weekly wrestling TV show, if it isn't referenced on the actual show then it doesn't count. 

Reading around online, Tony Khan's thing in the NFL seems to be sporting analytics so their sports-orientated approach could be stuff like examining the force of blows, speed/length of dives, how often certain teams tag in or out or the success rate of finishers. Maybe something like fastest win, similar to what UFC do? As long as it wasn't purely stuff like that and we still got storylines then I think that could be something cool. Might actually make these guys seem like larger than life athletes. Again, the more I think about it, the more I realise how much I'm craving anything different. Shoot it differently, present it differently, whatever. Just do something fresh.

EDIT: This is the type of thing I could imagine them doing with the analytics side of things. Certainly sells guys as superstar athletes. Quite fitting that the chap at the end of this describes Conor as, "Elite compared to the Elites."

Edited by Supremo

39 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

AEW really are the Liverpool FC of the wrestling industry.

They are doing all the right things and creating what we all expect will be an entertaining brand, and under normal circumstances we'd all love them for it. But fuck me, their fans aren't half annoying.

Not half as annoying as moany cunts on here, I dont use Twitter or browse Youtube comments so would have no idea of these fans if it wasn't for people on here waffling on about them. I could understand it if they all posted on here but they dont