All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, JNLister said:

The source for this is me pulling stuff out of my arse, but I think 02's hiring set-up means it's pretty much only viable if you're going to come close to filling it, whereas Wembley can work even if you have a small-scale set-up. Might just be as simple as 02 being the top venue and always in demand, so Wembley having to be more flexible when taking bookings.

theres plenty of boxing shows in the o2 that come nowhere near close to filling it. I dont think they do much to modify the arena other than curtain off the top layer.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

If you took some of the best ever ECW shows and stuck them into partially closed off arena's to get some extra ticket sales instead of more intimate arena's filled with passionate fans maybe they'd have made a little more money on those individual occasions but it would have massively taken away from the show.

Let's not confuse ECW with a business model anyone should seek inspiration from.

5 hours ago, chokeout said:

If the market leader is charging that then you can't really justify a mainstream company charging 50% more, in a market that is historically reluctant to pay and used to free content

It’s not a mainstream company. It’s a niche company at a time when hardcore fans are spending more than ever. £9.99 isn’t going to sell the show to the casual viewer, and any existing fan who isn’t up for paying the £14.99 clearly isn’t that bothered about changing the business and ending Evil Vince’s monopoly.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

It’s not a mainstream company. It’s a niche company at a time when hardcore fans are spending more than ever. £9.99 isn’t going to sell the show to the casual viewer, and any existing fan who isn’t up for paying the £14.99 clearly isn’t that bothered about changing the business and ending Evil Vince’s monopoly.

I meant ITV

AEW is as far from mainstream as you can get but you would think that as a company ITV would want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, including lapsed fans or just the curious, not just existing hardcore fans.

Edited by chokeout

7 hours ago, chokeout said:

I meant ITV

AEW is as far from mainstream as you can get but you would think that as a company ITV would want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, including lapsed fans or just the curious, not just existing hardcore fans.

They can’t hang their hats on people channel-hopping at 1am and going “oh go on then, i don’t like wrestling/haven’t watched it for years but I’ll get this, it’s only a tenner.”

This is ITV monetising (and evaluating) the current audience for AEW, rather than pretending that a million buys will come if it’s at a price that you personally like.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

They can’t hang their hats on people channel-hopping at 1am and going “oh go on then, i don’t like wrestling/haven’t watched it for years but I’ll get this, it’s only a tenner.”

This is ITV monetising (and evaluating) the current audience for AEW, rather than pretending that a million buys will come if it’s at a price that you personally like.

Jesus Pictos. What's with the passive aggressiveness? I've not said anything like that

I just had a read through the first 5 or so pages of this thread......fun to see what we got right and what we got wrong.

With everything that's come since, has your view on the project changed since it was first rumoured?

Really pleased they seem to be making a go of it, hope they have success and I get the feeling they've got their feet pretty firmly on the ground so I reckon they have a good shot at grabbing that super-indy or 2nd promotion slot.

Same cannot be said for their "fans" though.  Some idiot on Reddit is posting threads of the "greatest AEW finishers" - the best finishers of wrestlers from a company that's not even run a single show yet.  All the clips are from other hard-working promotions of course.  I fully anticipate their crowds being some of the smarkiest in history.

14 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

The people behind the promotion seem to be doing a good job, so I'll give them a chance and order the PPV. A chunk of the fanbase are dickheads.

That's where I'm at right now.

Part & parcel of the majority of things these days unfortunately. Having said that, the crowd at All In didn’t seem to be out to get themselves over, so it could just be that they’ve got a bunch of mutants who like to make a noise online. I’ve recently started to use relevant parts Reddit to promote my podcast, but holy fuck what an absolute ceasepool that can be once you dig in to it. 

They certainly seem to be saying the right things and I am willing to give this show and the regular TV show a try whenever it launches, but there’s still a niggling feeling that this is still a bit of a vanity project for Cody, the Bucks and their mates. Maybe that’s just me being cynical, but I certainly willing to give this a shot unlike with a promotion like Impact who completely burnt their bridge with me and no amount of “oh but it’s really good now” will bring me back.

Will this change the business and be a competitor to WWE like so many think it will be? Probably not, and nor should it be trying to be, but hopefully it can be a good alternative

Edited by WyattSheepMask

7 hours ago, Loki said:

Really pleased they seem to be making a go of it, hope they have success and I get the feeling they've got their feet pretty firmly on the ground so I reckon they have a good shot at grabbing that super-indy or 2nd promotion slot.

Same cannot be said for their "fans" though.  Some idiot on Reddit is posting threads of the "greatest AEW finishers" - the best finishers of wrestlers from a company that's not even run a single show yet.  All the clips are from other hard-working promotions of course.  I fully anticipate their crowds being some of the smarkiest in history.

Know what you mean. Hopefully won't be as worse as ROH Pricks.