All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

8 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Do you happen to know if it's the same Riho that was with Ice Ribbon, like 12 years ago? If memory serves, they were putting her in matches when she was 12 or 14, something ridiculous, anyway. Never heard of her since, but then again I haven't really followed Joshi since 2013 & barely at all in the past 5 years.

Yeah it's her.

Only really got back into Joshi in 2017 and on a English recap of a TJPW show (shame they stopped doing those) it was mentioned that she's been wrestling ages despite only being in her 20's, so I'm guessing that she's been consistently active.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Im sure I paid that for Rebellion 99, do you want them to charge 1.99 or something?

This gives me an unrelated thought. I wonder if wrestling shows would ever do what iTunes would do with albums - ie you pay £9.99 for the whole thing, or you can pay 99p per song for just the songs you want to have.

How much would it change the model if you charged £15 for the PPV, but if you only wanted to watch a few of the matches, you could pay £1.99 for each of those matches? 

Unrealistic, probably. But optimistically, it would be a quantifiable way of showing whose matches draw people, and an incentive to make every match a must-watch.

@hallicks - I think Rico lives in the Las Vegas area. Certainly used to. They’re missing a trick if they don’t bring him in - the man beat Ric Flair!

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

@hallicks - I think Rico lives in the Las Vegas area. Certainly used to. They’re missing a trick if they don’t bring him in - the man beat Ric Flair!

Wikipedia says he's 57! And apparently not in the best of health. Shame, I miss his beautiful chops. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, hallicks said:

Wikipedia says he's 57! And apparently not in the best of health. Shame, I miss his beautiful chops. 

He was old when he debuted in WWE. He'd already had a life. Those lambchops were beautiful. 

Meant to be one of the nice guys by all accounts as well, right? Rico was brilliant, in hindsight. Loved the sort of vicious camp manner he'd point 3-Minute Warning to the ring for their beat-downs. Perennial fixture on Heat as well when I decided upon attaining smarkdom in 2002-2003 that watching Heat and Velocity was a real torch to bear. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WeeAl said:

In a business, where the goal is to actually make money, you're much better off selling the extra 2,000 tickets and having a half empty arena, than you would be by turning customers away just to run a building that looks full. Providing, of course, that the rent isn't spectacularly different on the two buildings. 

They would be better off running Wembley if that's the plan. Much more scope to expand the configuration based on demand rather than the o2 where it's slightly more rigid (there are still multiple configurations, but Wembley provides multiple options)

EDIT - To be clear I'm not saying they SHOULD run Wembley, only if they were looking to go for an arena option at some stage that might be a better option. 

Edited by mim731

5 hours ago, WeeAl said:

In a business, where the goal is to actually make money, you're much better off selling the extra 2,000 tickets and having a half empty arena, than you would be by turning customers away just to run a building that looks full. Providing, of course, that the rent isn't spectacularly different on the two buildings. 

The different in rent between an 18,000 and 7000 seater arena will be significantly higher than the revenue generated by 2000 extra ticket sales. Also good business is to create a demand higher than availability.

Pretty much every major Christmas toy release over the last 20 years minimum and pretty much every major video game console release follows that same model. They intentionally make initial releases far less than the expected demand to create that buzz and rush to get it.

When there's a greater demand than supply it creates a huge buzz, people not being able to get something increases their desire to get it. People are talking about not being able to get it, those who got it are talking about how buzzing they are that they did and it makes things seem a very big deal.

If they run a 7k and had 9-10k wanting tickets they make a profit on that first show but also generate enough buzz fhat they then hopefully back up with a great show that they then announce a 10k venue for the next show to meet demand. Then progress from there.

For long term success its all about a slow, safe and steady build. Keep having win after win to have everyone talking about AEW in a positive light. Selling out shows in bigger and bigger arena's consecutively is brilliant business for what this is intended to be, a long term project. This isn't a one off thing.

Having a half empty arena for a potential first UK show would be disasterous.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Im sure I paid that for Rebellion 99, do you want them to charge 1.99 or something?

Don't be deliberately obtuse 🤔 You're comparing buying a Sky Box Office PPV from the biggest wrestling company in the world, during it's biggest boom period (ignoring the fact that even at the time people really, really didn't like paying that much for the UK only PPVS)

Keep in mind, since that point in the UK we've had free WWE pay per views, free TNA PPVs and WWE has totally changed the benchmark by offering their biggest PPV and a months worth of extra content for 9.99.

If the market leader is charging that then you can't really justify a mainstream company charging 50% more, in a market that is historically reluctant to pay and used to free content

• Paid Members

Somewhere on Something to Wrestle with they talk about arena configurations, Rumble 1997 in the Alamodome I think. In my understanding they could rent the O2 only keep the lower bowl or part of open. They costs would then come right down. It's better for them to hold a show in an arena where they hold shows 50% of year and are just looking for something to fill one of the few empty calendar dates. The O2 is arranged almost a year in advance so they tend to try and fill as many spots up as possible. For they empty slots they have much small configuration options. It can work to a companies advantage taking one of these over the smaller venues for a number of reasons. Primarily they have full time staffing in most of the key areas sorted with or without this booking. That being security, mercy sales, event staffing and concession staffing. Add on top the much broader marketing scope (listened on event flyers, the main website and arena's social media fields), they will have event expertise so will know how to price tickets and merchandise. They also have in-house screening and sound, and are one of the few venues in this Country naturally set up for filming wrestling / boxing (hence why WWE and Eddie Hearn only keep to a few arenas for their main televised stuff). This is why TNA hired arena's after that single tour using hall type buildings. They found it cost them extra money doing all the advertising, hiring out additional venues for the meet and greets. Despite Alex Shane cashing in setting up that initial tour, they found it much cheaper and TV friendly selling a low configuration arena, sell 7,000 initially raising up to 10-15k if needed. These venues can always be increased at a later stage, plus they will probably lower their cost if they have a night to fill. Close bowls, bring the ring forward, just cover the empty sections and darken the unoccupied seats. If filming try and predominantly sell the non floor seats opposite the hard cam. Hire a 4,000 hall and that's you limit. 

Yes but to me you're missing the point. A potential show here wouldn't be about making it a once off cash grab. It would be about presenting an image of an exciting new alternative wrestling company. There's much more value in progressively running bigger arena's over a series of shows and trying to build a loyal fanbase than their is running a show in a building to big for them at a huge cost with large area's tarped off masses of empty seats.

If you took some of the best ever ECW shows and stuck them into partially closed off arena's to get some extra ticket sales instead of more intimate arena's filled with passionate fans maybe they'd have made a little more money on those individual occasions but it would have massively taken away from the show.

• Paid Members

The source for this is me pulling stuff out of my arse, but I think 02's hiring set-up means it's pretty much only viable if you're going to come close to filling it, whereas Wembley can work even if you have a small-scale set-up. Might just be as simple as 02 being the top venue and always in demand, so Wembley having to be more flexible when taking bookings.

Also, Wembley looks better with a small-scale configuration. Progress was barely half-full but the way it was set up just looked like a sold-out arena.