Sign in to follow this  
MPDTT

All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

27 minutes ago, I like root beer said:

Now very much looking forward to Double or nothing. The ITV box office is a big deal. Will stay up for this. They are obviously going to run 02 arena very soon with Tony Khan having a part time residence and with the hype it's getting here.

The O2 arena would be a huge misstep to take for a first show, you don't run the biggest arena straight out of the gate

Not a chance right now would they sell out the O2 arena, better off starting at the Cooper Box (as New Japan are) and work up to the bigger venues, better to have 7,000 people wanting to get in to a 5,000 seat venue then 7,000 people easily fitting into 18,000 seat venue and seeing loads of empty spaces, 

11 minutes ago, I like root beer said:

Sky sports box office has charged that for more than 10 years for WWE

yeah but since the Network has launched peoples attitudes have changed towards how much they are willing to pay for a wrestling show also WWEs name on top of the bill makes it a lot easier to sell then charging £14.95 for an AEW show

I think at most £9.99 should of been the ceiling charged for Double or Nothing 

23 minutes ago, chokeout said:

£14.95 for a niche wrestling PPV on ITV. You'd think they'd set their price points more in line with a UK audience

If you're going to buy it, you're going to pay £15. Making it any cheaper isn't going to get any extra buys given you pretty much have to already know the show is on, who the guys are, and be willing to watch something that's likely ending around 5am.

Need to book the Fulham ground for a big show with the Bucks vs babyface Snow and Blackman in the main. Cottage Cheese!

2 hours ago, chokeout said:

£14.95 for a niche wrestling PPV on ITV. You'd think they'd set their price points more in line with a UK audience

Im sure I paid that for Rebellion 99, do you want them to charge 1.99 or something?

Edited by Kamaras-Tash

5 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

The O2 arena would be a huge misstep to take for a first show, you don't run the biggest arena straight out of the gate

Not a chance right now would they sell out the O2 arena, better off starting at the Cooper Box (as New Japan are) and work up to the bigger venues, better to have 7,000 people wanting to get in to a 5,000 seat venue then 7,000 people easily fitting into 18,000 seat venue and seeing loads of empty spaces, 

In a business, where the goal is to actually make money, you're much better off selling the extra 2,000 tickets and having a half empty arena, than you would be by turning customers away just to run a building that looks full. Providing, of course, that the rent isn't spectacularly different on the two buildings. 

8 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Do you happen to know if it's the same Riho that was with Ice Ribbon, like 12 years ago? If memory serves, they were putting her in matches when she was 12 or 14, something ridiculous, anyway. Never heard of her since, but then again I haven't really followed Joshi since 2013 & barely at all in the past 5 years.

Yeah it's her.

Only really got back into Joshi in 2017 and on a English recap of a TJPW show (shame they stopped doing those) it was mentioned that she's been wrestling ages despite only being in her 20's, so I'm guessing that she's been consistently active.

4 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Im sure I paid that for Rebellion 99, do you want them to charge 1.99 or something?

This gives me an unrelated thought. I wonder if wrestling shows would ever do what iTunes would do with albums - ie you pay £9.99 for the whole thing, or you can pay 99p per song for just the songs you want to have.

How much would it change the model if you charged £15 for the PPV, but if you only wanted to watch a few of the matches, you could pay £1.99 for each of those matches? 

Unrealistic, probably. But optimistically, it would be a quantifiable way of showing whose matches draw people, and an incentive to make every match a must-watch.

@hallicks - I think Rico lives in the Las Vegas area. Certainly used to. They’re missing a trick if they don’t bring him in - the man beat Ric Flair!

12 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Jack Evans 

Image result for fuck off gif

9 hours ago, hallicks said:

I briefly thought that was a typo of Rico. If they get Rico, I'll buy the PPV. Rico = money. 

Come on hallicks goddammit! 

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

@hallicks - I think Rico lives in the Las Vegas area. Certainly used to. They’re missing a trick if they don’t bring him in - the man beat Ric Flair!

Wikipedia says he's 57! And apparently not in the best of health. Shame, I miss his beautiful chops. 

1 minute ago, hallicks said:

Wikipedia says he's 57! And apparently not in the best of health. Shame, I miss his beautiful chops. 

He was old when he debuted in WWE. He'd already had a life. Those lambchops were beautiful. 

Meant to be one of the nice guys by all accounts as well, right? Rico was brilliant, in hindsight. Loved the sort of vicious camp manner he'd point 3-Minute Warning to the ring for their beat-downs. Perennial fixture on Heat as well when I decided upon attaining smarkdom in 2002-2003 that watching Heat and Velocity was a real torch to bear. 

3 hours ago, WeeAl said:

In a business, where the goal is to actually make money, you're much better off selling the extra 2,000 tickets and having a half empty arena, than you would be by turning customers away just to run a building that looks full. Providing, of course, that the rent isn't spectacularly different on the two buildings. 

They would be better off running Wembley if that's the plan. Much more scope to expand the configuration based on demand rather than the o2 where it's slightly more rigid (there are still multiple configurations, but Wembley provides multiple options)

EDIT - To be clear I'm not saying they SHOULD run Wembley, only if they were looking to go for an arena option at some stage that might be a better option. 

Edited by mim731

5 hours ago, WeeAl said:

The different in rent between an 18,000 and 7000 seater arena will be significantly higher than the revenue generated by 2000 extra ticket sales. Also good business is to create a demand higher than availability.

Pretty much every major Christmas toy release over the last 20 years minimum and pretty much every major video game console release follows that same model. They intentionally make initial releases far less than the expected demand to create that buzz and rush to get it.

When there's a greater demand than supply it creates a huge buzz, people not being able to get something increases their desire to get it. People are talking about not being able to get it, those who got it are talking about how buzzing they are that they did and it makes things seem a very big deal.

If they run a 7k and had 9-10k wanting tickets they make a profit on that first show but also generate enough buzz fhat they then hopefully back up with a great show that they then announce a 10k venue for the next show to meet demand. Then progress from there.

For long term success its all about a slow, safe and steady build. Keep having win after win to have everyone talking about AEW in a positive light. Selling out shows in bigger and bigger arena's consecutively is brilliant business for what this is intended to be, a long term project. This isn't a one off thing.

Having a half empty arena for a potential first UK show would be disasterous.

Edited by Jonny Vegas