All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

I know Dave didn't have much credibility to begin with, but he's really embarrassed himself working as PR and fanboi for AEW the last while. Hope he actually is at least getting paid by them.

Edited by DCW

Just now, DCW said:

I know Dave didn't have much credibility to begin with,

With whom?

but he's really embarrassed himself working as PR and fanboi for AEW the last while.

Depends on what your opinion of Meltzer is.  I don't think so, but I don't take everything he says as gospel or hang on every word he says.  Ironic that those who despise Dave the most tend to be the ones who pay the most attention to him.  And anyway, how dare a wrestling journalist want a company to succeed and be a viable alternative to the WWE where wresters can then make a healthy and good living and where one company doesn't monopolize the industry.  Damn Dave for supporting them!

Edited by Magnum Milano

1 minute ago, Magnum Milano said:

With whom?

Depends on what your opinion of Meltzer is.  I don't think so, but I don't take everything he says as gospel or hang on every word he says.  Ironic that those who despise Dave the most tend to be the ones who pay the most attention to him.  And anyway, how dare a wrestling journalist want a company to succeed and be a viable alternative to the WWE where wresters can then make a healthy and good living and where one company doesn't monopolize the industry.  Damn Dave for supporting them!

There’s no issue with him wanting them to succeed/be an alternative and all that stuff, it’s the way that he seems to be acting like AEW are the second coming that’s getting on people’s nerves. Where the hell hes got this idea that ‘no shows held’ AEW are on a par with ‘established worldwide brand’ UFC in terms of demand for broadcast rights is anyone’s guess

Im still on the fence about the whole thing, I look at that roster and don’t see anyone that you can call a star other than a well past his prime Chris Jericho, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t them to be a success.

Dave just seems to have his blinkers on because after nearly 20 years of WWE dominating the landscape, somebody is actually in a position to potentially be a viable #2 promotion

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Dave just seems to have his blinkers on because after nearly 20 years of WWE dominating the landscape, somebody is actually in a position to potentially be a viable #2 promotion

It's like someone loon with loads of money going up against, I dunno, something as established as the number one brand like the NFL.  Sure you may be number 2, but you'll be closer to number 30 than you'll be to number 1.  And you'll be the Emperors new clothes for a while until the next one, and the next one, and the next one.

But the market is there for them and personally I like seeing the enthusiasm however hyperbolic or misguided it may be because it makes a welcome change from the cynicism of wrestling fandom.

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

But the market is there for them and personally I like seeing the enthusiasm however hyperbolic or misguided it may be because it makes a welcome change from the cynicism of wrestling fandom.

If you take that away though Keith, what are we left with? It's virtually all we have.

1 hour ago, Magnum Milano said:

And anyway, how dare a wrestling journalist want a company to succeed and be a viable alternative to the WWE where wresters can then make a healthy and good living and where one company doesn't monopolize the industry.  Damn Dave for supporting them!

If he was a real journalist, he'd feel bound by the concept of journalistic integrity and the professional code of ethics.  Objectivity and impartiality are a big part of that.  

Particularly considering his emphatic top spot in wrestling coverage, he shouldn't be crossing the line from reporting to actively participating and supporting.  It makes his coverage of AEW, and WWE by association, tainted.

See also: News, Fox.

Just now, Loki said:

If he was a real journalist, he'd feel bound by the concept of journalistic integrity and the professional code of ethics.  Objectivity and impartiality are a big part of that.  

Particularly considering his emphatic top spot in wrestling coverage, he shouldn't be crossing the line from reporting to actively participating and supporting.  It makes his coverage of AEW, and WWE by association, tainted.

See also: News, Fox.

"If he was a real journalist..."

Although he is, a quick check of Dave's bio would've confirmed that for you!  Where is Dave "actively participating" with/in AEW?  I've missed that so I would like to check it out.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

"If he was a real journalist..."

Frank Deford once said that Meltzer was the most accomplished reporter in sports journalism. That's some pretty good backing considering Deford had over half a century with Sports Illustrated. 

His gimmick for decades has been “WWE sux it should be more like Japan.” The Young Bucks named a finisher after him that they did in matches in Japan, and are starting a promotion starring Kenny Omega from NJPW. Dave is at least seventy-five notches too far along the spectrum to be able to be impartial in the face of that.

Edited by King Pitcos

1 hour ago, Magnum Milano said:

Although he is, a quick check of Dave's bio would've confirmed that for you!

Where is this bio and who wrote it?  Tommy Robinson calls himself a journalist too. 

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Where is this bio and who wrote it?  Tommy Robinson calls himself a journalist too. 

You're a smart man you don't need me to point you in the direction of Dave's journalistic credentials (refer to Ronnie's post for starters).

But with people now going on about Dave being "on the spectrum" this is fast taking the direction of the crap that do my best to avoid on Twitter.