All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

There doesnt seem to be anyone employed by this promotion who isnt connected in someway to the people running it.

This is one of the things I'm finding amusing; there's an awful lot of "jobs for the boys" about it. 

More than once on Twitter I've been critical of AEW, and got replies from accounts with 0 followers, sometimes with no previous Tweets, rushing to defend them. It's just odd behaviour, if nothing else. 

• Paid Members

Let's see whether they can get a TV deal and start outdoing Impact Wrestling before we start thinking about the third coming of the Monday Night Wars. 

I think the plan has always been to announce the deal at Double or Nothing. I've thought that from the off and am surprised that it's not the common consensus.

I'm not hanging my hat on AEW like some, but I also reckon they've thought this out a lot more than they've been given credit for. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I'm not hanging my hat on AEW like some, but I also reckon they've thought this out a lot more than they've been given credit for. 

I think this is something we can agree on - there's clearly a business plan in place, and they seem to have realistic expectations as to what they can hope to achieve. It's not the actual AEW crew that I see talking about Vince running scared, and how they'll be signing John Cena and Randy Orton away from WWE and dominating the wrestling business, it's just a certain class of fan.

The problem is that those fans tend to be louder than AEW themselves are, so I see more of that rhetoric than I see of what AEW are actually doing, and - through no fault of the AEW crew - I'm put off the whole endeavor. 

Take the vocal fans out of the equation and we're left with a promotion with an interesting, diverse start-up roster, and some potentially very exciting working relationships with other promotions (the link with OWE is going to be the best thing about AEW, in my opinion).

• Paid Members

I think its Dave Meltzer's cheerleading that puts me off AEW so much.

Over the past few years I've come to realise that what Meltzer loves so much about modern wrestling ("Its never been better") and the obsession over workrate and 12 star matches involving blokes I've never heard of at the Tokyo Dome etc, is basically the polar opposite of what I want from my wrestling (basically 1992 WWF forever).

As a result, I've kind of made my own mind up that I won't like it even before they've put on their first show, which is a bit irrational I'll admit.  

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Louch said:

Why do you read meltzer then if you don’t enjoy his views? 

Seeing as he's one of only about four proper wrestling journalists who has actual contacts and actually breaks stories instead of rehashing someone else's work, you don't exactly have to subscribe to his newsletter to be aware of his output.

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

I think its Dave Meltzer's cheerleading that puts me off AEW so much.

Over the past few years I've come to realise that what Meltzer loves so much about modern wrestling ("Its never been better") and the obsession over workrate and 12 star matches involving blokes I've never heard of at the Tokyo Dome etc, is basically the polar opposite of what I want from my wrestling (basically 1992 WWF forever).

As a result, I've kind of made my own mind up that I won't like it even before they've put on their first show, which is a bit irrational I'll admit.  

Agreed.... that and Conrad Thompson's presence at their press conferences.

I've never really had any thoughts on Meltzer one way or the other but he recently mocked someone who said that AEW, at this point, with no TV deal announced, was essentially just a 't-shirt selling company' only to later defend The Young Bucks not being big names by going 'Yeah but they sold 400,000 t-shirts in Walmart'. 

It certainly seems, whether he is or not, that he is on the AEW payroll and that his supposed impartiality is actually anything but. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Let's see whether they can get a TV deal and start outdoing Impact Wrestling before we start thinking about the third coming of the Monday Night Wars. 

When was the 2nd Monday Night War? You can't count TNA's brief run on Monday nights. That wasn't a war, only one side was fighting, and they lost. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

When was the 2nd Monday Night War? You can't count TNA's brief run on Monday nights. That wasn't a war, only one side was fighting, and they lost. 

Yeah, I'd have called it the Monday Night Squashes myself

• Paid Members

Nothing says "new kid on the block" like the Dudleys 10 years past their best vs the Nasty Boys 20 years past their best.