All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

15 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Steph has nearly 3 million twitter followers, almost more than Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair's put together. Yeah, I'm sure her promotion means nothing...

Yeah, that would be relevant if WWE as a brand didn’t have over ten million twitter followers. 

Steph being involved with it really does mean nothing and adds nothing to the product. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Yeah, that would be relevant if WWE as a brand didn’t have over ten million twitter followers. 

Steph being involved with it really does mean nothing and adds nothing to the product. 

You could say she hasn't added to the story lines necessarily (though let's not forget she was an integral part of Ronda's first excellent WWE angle) to say she hasn't helped with the branding and the success is utter tosh. 

Edited by gmoney

I wonder if Steph will ever have an Internet face turn. The only way I can see it happening is if Kevin Dunn has a daughter who takes over his job, and they fabricate some bullshit feud between them.

Fair fucks to her, though. Since she's been the Chief Brand Officer, they've seen the TV deals skyrocket, they've become increasingly palatable to mainstream advertisers/partners, and they've managed to present the top women as on par with the men. And nobody had to paint handprints on their tits to do it this time.

7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

He booked himself to win the NWA Title in the most hyped match of the first show he ever booked. 

Cody was under contract to ROH so wasn’t a way he could hold the nwa title long term and do the shows they make their money from. Nwa got the rub from all in, and all in got a moment from it. It was a deal that helped both parties 

13 minutes ago, Louch said:

Cody was under contract to ROH so wasn’t a way he could hold the nwa title long term and do the shows they make their money from. Nwa got the rub from all in, and all in got a moment from it. It was a deal that helped both parties 

What difference did it make to the NWAs business? Did they get a TV deal? Sell lots more merch? Increase attendance to their shows? Sell PPVs? If the answer is a few more people in the wrestling bubble talked about Cody winning a belt but didn't actually spend any money then no, they didn't get anything from it. 

2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

I wonder if Steph will ever have an Internet face turn. The only way I can see it happening is if Kevin Dunn has a daughter who takes over his job, and they fabricate some bullshit feud between them.

Fair fucks to her, though. Since she's been the Chief Brand Officer, they've seen the TV deals skyrocket, they've become increasingly palatable to mainstream advertisers/partners, and they've managed to present the top women as on par with the men. And nobody had to paint handprints on their tits to do it this time.

She could easily have an Internet face turn. I’ve already said most people don’t mind the McMahons when they are being a decent part of the program. The match with Ronda was great, but how often is Steph actually entertaining for the amount of TV time she has had? 

In terms of TV storyline it makes sense she’d be in charge of the women, because she is also a woman I guess. We can’t pretend that she was the one behind the Women’s Revolution just because she showed up on TV and announced it. WWE have aired footage of HHH being the one who told Banks and Bayley they would be main eventing Takeover in an Ironwoman match. We all know it was in NXT, which is also presented as his project. 

With videos like that the fans know Steph wasn’t the driving force behind Women’s wrestling being elevated. When they just called a bunch of wrestlers up and chucked them in stables it was shit. I’d also argue that Becky became one of the most over faces in the company without Steph being there to cut her legs off at every opportunity.

She could be doing a great job at being Chief Brand Officer, but why the fuck would any fans care about that really? 

7 hours ago, Yakashi said:

What difference did it make to the NWAs business? Did they get a TV deal? Sell lots more merch? Increase attendance to their shows? Sell PPVs? If the answer is a few more people in the wrestling bubble talked about Cody winning a belt but didn't actually spend any money then no, they didn't get anything from it. 

Yeah it's a sham. Look at the lofty heights other champs took the belt to in the last 10 years. Who can forget the merch flying off the shelf during Brent Albrights classic stint. Or the many PPVs sold under Rob Conways double reign as champ.

If even "a few more people in the wrestling bubble" were talking about it, its better par than the rest of the title holders. And as others have said too, I hardly think Cody just booked himself to win the belt without approval and plans from those in charge of the NWA. Surely the NWA have a responsibility to latch on to publicity from having their belt being defended in a headline match in front of 10000 fans.

But no, it's Cody's fault, things would have been far better just keeping the belt on Magnus during that time. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Factotum said:

And then lost it very quickly.It made sense for him to win that match given how it was booked and what the event was.

"It made sense given how it booked" isn't a particularly solid argument when he booked it.

16 hours ago, LEGIT said:

You're a really good poster but, honestly, why is that a problem? 

Honestly, I don't think it is. Sometimes you book yourself strongly because you can rely on yourself. Sometimes the guy with the book is genuinely the best choice. And there was a ready-made storyline for Cody winning his dad's own belt.

My point, though, is that people are claiming "Cody and the Bucks won't just book this to put themselves over" when our only frame of reference is the one show where, yes, that's exactly what they did.

• Paid Members

There's a story here claiming an exclusive on the schedule: https://wrestletalk.com/news/exclusive-aew-multi-show-schedule-revealed/

Story is monthly shows till September and then launching TV in October. The big problem which raises questions about the entire story is that it says they are doing the Royal Albert Hall in August. 124 years of the Proms would certainly suggest otherwise.

10 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Their subscriber numbers to their YouTube went up, it seen an increase in awareness of their brand in its current state and project. I have been highly critical on here of the NWA project and it’s lack of apparent income streams against costs so don’t disagree agree with they didn’t get the things you listed. But they did get the things they are, and wrongly I believe, concentrating on at this stage 

• Paid Members

Jericho and Omega have both said they intend to continue working with NJPW, so there's likely something in it, though whether it's a working relationship or just on a case-by-case basis, who knows?

The AAA relationship is the most interesting in that regard. I suspect it's as much a workaround to use Lucha Underground contracted talent on TV (whenever AEW's amazing TV deal surfaces) as it is a way for them to have access to anyone else, but politically, siding with AAA means not working with CMLL, which could have implications for any working relationship with NJPW.

While things have loosened up in this regard in the last 18 months or so (particularly around the likes of Fenix and Pentagon), AAA and CMLL are both extremely strict about not letting their contracted talent work against each other. A Wrestlemania weekend show last year was supposed to have Lucha Bros vs. Golden Lovers, and one side of the equation insisted it couldn't happen, as they didn't want AAA contracted talent working against NJPW contracted talent due to NJPW's partnership with CMLL. To me, an alliance with AAA is a pretty clear indicator that they're not working directly with New Japan.