MPDTT

All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

I've said it before, but one of the most important things for me is that they keep their shows to a normal, consumable length. I'm sick and tired of even the best shows feeling like a marathon to get through. All In, for example, was easily an hour to ninety minutes too long. Fatigue set in like a motherfucker during Okada vs. Scurll.

Also, Goldberg.

Edited by Supremo

16 hours ago, Supremo said:

This is a fun hype video.

The more I think about it, the more Pac stands out as their best acquisition by a condierable margin. He'd been gone so long that I'd forgotten how great his run as Cruiserweight champion was. That promo he cut on Adam Page brought it all back. The lad's the full package. I'd make him champion and have guys like Omega and (hopefully) Ibushi chase him.

Can't say it made me hyped for AEW, but it did make me want to watch Infinity War for the eighth time! I think real hype could be a bit of a struggle in reaching new people until they've got a few shows under their belt - they need footage of all their AEW stars from AEW shows. But to make the hype look big time, those need to be big looking shows, for which you need adequate hype ... etc etc. (I know that video's just a fan one so I'm not necessarily talking about that hype particularly)

Agree with you on Pac. If AEW is able to position him as the star he could be, and to show off the character work he had on 205 along with the athleticism we know he's got in a higher profile role, I'm there for it.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

35 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I disagree to a point, the NWA belt has been next to nothing for years and years, people were at least interested/ talking about it when Cody won it. 

But no one was really talking about it afterwards. There was no big deal made of Cody dropping it back to Aldis six weeks later. And no one has really talked about Aldis or the NWA since then. It's just been living in it's own bubble, just like it was before the All In hoopla.

Edited by Accident Prone

25 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

But no one was really talking about it afterwards. There was no big deal made of Cody dropping it back to Aldis six weeks later. And no one has really talked about Aldis or the NWA since then. It's just been living in it's own bubble, just like it was before the All In hoopla.

And that’s my point, for all they did it building up as a big match, the belt was no better off for Cody having won it. Granted, he might not have been able to do a whole lot with a 6 week title reign, but then what was the point. Aldis, the NWA belt and the NWA promotion we’re no better off as a result, but Cody gets to say he was World Champion like his dad was, and all he had to do was book himself to win it.

If anything, Aldis besting the former 2x Intercontinental Champion, 6x Tag Team Champion and ROH World Champion would have elevated him and the title. But no, Cody wins, crosses off something from bucket-list, drops it back straight again and everything went back to how it was and it might aswell have never even happened

Edited by WyattSheepMask

i am quite interested to see how the MGM Grand looks on the night, ive only ever seen it in a boxing/ufc setting.

1 minute ago, Michael_3165 said:

How are people in the UK going to watch these shows? I assume it will be a pay deal as they haven't got a deal with Sky etc?

they haven't announced anything yet

17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i am quite interested to see how the MGM Grand looks on the night, ive only ever seen it in a boxing/ufc setting.

I believe WCW used to do Halloween Havoc there during their peak years.

23 minutes ago, AVM said:

I believe WCW used to do Halloween Havoc there during their peak years.

Thats correct. MGM Grand was the home of Halloween Havoc from 1996 - 2000. I always loved the set up.

8BCugRpS-600x338.jpg

Havoc_19991024_0006.0.jpg

Considering Ring of Honor own the All In show, it shows how much influence they had on the event, in terms of producing it, timing it out, agenting etc. This Double or Nothing show is really their first event. No ROH or Impact staff will be involved in the show. They better have their ducks in a row, because putting on a show of that standard without the right people can look pretty shit, no matter how many people are in the building. Live TV is unpredictable at the best of times.

Wasn't the first fortnightly TNA show a technical nightmare?  And they had a ton of guys who'd been working on WCW shows 12 months before.

There'll be some kind of backlash to the production no matter how good it looks. People are so used to the top end production of the WWE that anything beneath usually comes off looking cheap. The WWE really are at the top end of the spectrum production wise. 

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

And that’s my point, for all they did it building up as a big match, the belt was no better off for Cody having won it. Granted, he might not have been able to do a whole lot with a 6 week title reign, but then what was the point. Aldis, the NWA belt and the NWA promotion we’re no better off as a result, but Cody gets to say he was World Champion like his dad was, and all he had to do was book himself to win it.

If anything, Aldis besting the former 2x Intercontinental Champion, 6x Tag Team Champion and ROH World Champion would have elevated him and the title. But no, Cody wins, crosses off something from bucket-list, drops it back straight again and everything went back to how it was and it might aswell have never even happened

You're talking about a belt that's been held by Rob Conway (twice) and other just about nobodies in recent history.

I'm no Cody fan boy, but people were talking about the NWA belt more than they had in years when he was challenging for it. He was more than decent champ, and that's not even much of a compliment, the belt is about dead bar it's history. 

As for not elevating the belt enough? What do you expect? Again, the belt has meant near fuck all for years. It was all about the chase and the win. Fans were interested in it. Fans bought it. Onto the next thing. That's wrestling and storytelling. 

3 hours ago, LEGIT said:

You're talking about a belt that's been held by Rob Conway (twice) and other just about nobodies in recent history.

I'm no Cody fan boy, but people were talking about the NWA belt more than they had in years when he was challenging for it. He was more than decent champ, and that's not even much of a compliment, the belt is about dead bar it's history. 

As for not elevating the belt enough? What do you expect? Again, the belt has meant near fuck all for years. It was all about the chase and the win. Fans were interested in it. Fans bought it. Onto the next thing. That's wrestling and storytelling. 

Which surely makes it the prime candidate to have its profile raised a bit, no? And putting it on a guy with “loads of momentum” since leaving big bad Vince and whose “changing/revolutionising  the business” would be the one to do that with. For all the good it did, they might aswell have kept the belt on Aldis as they got the people invested in that match but not the rematch

But Cody got what he wanted out of it, and that’s why I’m Skeptical about the whole thing. Does he want to change things, or are he and his mates just stroking their own egos

When Cody won the belt i'm sure the intention was for him to keep it a lot longer. The Elite hadn't at that point announced anything in the pipeline and all was good between him, them, ROH and NJPW. It wasn't until after Cody's first defense against Willie Mack on a ROH show that it came out they were all doing their own thing. But as far as Corgan was concerned, putting that belt on Cody was a no brainer just for the history factor alone.