All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

23 minutes ago, AVM said:

I believe WCW used to do Halloween Havoc there during their peak years.

Thats correct. MGM Grand was the home of Halloween Havoc from 1996 - 2000. I always loved the set up.

8BCugRpS-600x338.jpg

Havoc_19991024_0006.0.jpg

• Paid Members

Considering Ring of Honor own the All In show, it shows how much influence they had on the event, in terms of producing it, timing it out, agenting etc. This Double or Nothing show is really their first event. No ROH or Impact staff will be involved in the show. They better have their ducks in a row, because putting on a show of that standard without the right people can look pretty shit, no matter how many people are in the building. Live TV is unpredictable at the best of times.

• Paid Members

There'll be some kind of backlash to the production no matter how good it looks. People are so used to the top end production of the WWE that anything beneath usually comes off looking cheap. The WWE really are at the top end of the spectrum production wise. 

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

And that’s my point, for all they did it building up as a big match, the belt was no better off for Cody having won it. Granted, he might not have been able to do a whole lot with a 6 week title reign, but then what was the point. Aldis, the NWA belt and the NWA promotion we’re no better off as a result, but Cody gets to say he was World Champion like his dad was, and all he had to do was book himself to win it.

If anything, Aldis besting the former 2x Intercontinental Champion, 6x Tag Team Champion and ROH World Champion would have elevated him and the title. But no, Cody wins, crosses off something from bucket-list, drops it back straight again and everything went back to how it was and it might aswell have never even happened

You're talking about a belt that's been held by Rob Conway (twice) and other just about nobodies in recent history.

I'm no Cody fan boy, but people were talking about the NWA belt more than they had in years when he was challenging for it. He was more than decent champ, and that's not even much of a compliment, the belt is about dead bar it's history. 

As for not elevating the belt enough? What do you expect? Again, the belt has meant near fuck all for years. It was all about the chase and the win. Fans were interested in it. Fans bought it. Onto the next thing. That's wrestling and storytelling. 

3 hours ago, LEGIT said:

You're talking about a belt that's been held by Rob Conway (twice) and other just about nobodies in recent history.

I'm no Cody fan boy, but people were talking about the NWA belt more than they had in years when he was challenging for it. He was more than decent champ, and that's not even much of a compliment, the belt is about dead bar it's history. 

As for not elevating the belt enough? What do you expect? Again, the belt has meant near fuck all for years. It was all about the chase and the win. Fans were interested in it. Fans bought it. Onto the next thing. That's wrestling and storytelling. 

Which surely makes it the prime candidate to have its profile raised a bit, no? And putting it on a guy with “loads of momentum” since leaving big bad Vince and whose “changing/revolutionising  the business” would be the one to do that with. For all the good it did, they might aswell have kept the belt on Aldis as they got the people invested in that match but not the rematch

But Cody got what he wanted out of it, and that’s why I’m Skeptical about the whole thing. Does he want to change things, or are he and his mates just stroking their own egos

When Cody won the belt i'm sure the intention was for him to keep it a lot longer. The Elite hadn't at that point announced anything in the pipeline and all was good between him, them, ROH and NJPW. It wasn't until after Cody's first defense against Willie Mack on a ROH show that it came out they were all doing their own thing. But as far as Corgan was concerned, putting that belt on Cody was a no brainer just for the history factor alone.

I would just like to point out that there is currently a series of complaints on Twitter from fans about AEW having $30 'cheap seat' tickets for the Double or Nothing show... because that price is TOO LOW!

Yes, wrestling fans are kicking off because a company is charging too little for tickets to their events.

Ah, 2019...

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

There'll be some kind of backlash to the production no matter how good it looks. People are so used to the top end production of the WWE that anything beneath usually comes off looking cheap. The WWE really are at the top end of the spectrum production wise. 

To be honest, and I may be alone in this, but I feel like WWE has reached a point where it's overproduced. The spectacle is nice, but there's so many pointless bells and whistles that it detracts from the product. Hopefully AEW find a sweet spot.

29 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I would just like to point out that there is currently a series of complaints on Twitter from fans about AEW having $30 'cheap seat' tickets for the Double or Nothing show... because that price is TOO LOW!

Yes, wrestling fans are kicking off because a company is charging too little for tickets to their events.

Ah, 2019...

This reflects well on AEW though - sounds like they could have jacked up the prices but chose not to and do a solid to their fledgling fanbase. Did you want them to change their minds and charge them $300 and receive complaints that would have brought?

58 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Which surely makes it the prime candidate to have its profile raised a bit, no? And putting it on a guy with “loads of momentum” since leaving big bad Vince and whose “changing/revolutionising  the business” would be the  one to do that with. 

Point is, he was more worthy a champ than they've had in years (not saying much), and the title got elevated more than it had in years, even if it was in the short term. Got defended in front of 10000 fans, as the feel good factor of a show, after loads of hype packages. Not bad for a belt that's meant almost nothing for decades.

they might aswell have kept the belt on Aldis

Oh yes, that would have made the period far more interesting for the belt and fans

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, AVM said:

To be honest, and I may be alone in this, but I feel like WWE has reached a point where it's overproduced. The spectacle is nice, but there's so many pointless bells and whistles that it detracts from the product. Hopefully AEW find a sweet spot.

I don't think you're alone. I find crap production off putting but WWE does  feel too shiny. Though it's not their biggest problem.

I've not really seen any criticism of All in from that POV and this stuff looked good but as Ian says, that was a lot to do with others. They're on their own here.