All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I cant believe you think of Havoc as one of the bigger unsigned names out there. 

One of the bigger unsigned names in the UK, yes. Take out anyone on an NXT UK deal, anyone signed with ROH, NJPW etc, and Havoc and Brookes are certainly amongst the biggest names on the scene. 

I'm more optimistic after this press conference than the last, though most of what it's presented has been politically interesting rather than being a major headline announcement. Kenny Omega being the big announcement is the least surprising surprise imaginable, as everyone's largely been assuming that he was going to be working there anyway.

At least after this show we have a semblance of a card shaping up - Omega vs. Jericho, Bucks vs. Lucha Bros, PAC vs. Page, a Dragon Gate 6-man tag, and a couple of potential women's matches has the making of a pretty strong show, though very much in the "indie dream match" vein of All-In that could well see the show being a bit over-egged, which is fine for a launch event, but I wonder how sustainable that model will be, and where they move from here. We know they can pull off an All-In, but can they maintain decent stories and angles long term, and hold fans' interest without the "dream match" crutch? 

For fans who have been buying into "RANDY ORTON TO AEW~!" and "half the WWE roster are being offered contracts, Vince is quaking in his boots" rumours, when is the bloom off the rose? If people are buying into this because they see it as a legitimate challenger to WWE, and threatening to take talent away from WWE, how many press conferences without John Cena rocking up in an AEW hoodie before they turn on it for not living up to expectations?

Politically, the AAA alliance is interesting. I'm assuming the impetus is largely on them being able to use Lucha Underground contracted talent on TV, but with some of the LU talent filing a class action suit against El Rey, where do AAA sit amidst that? Are they going to get drawn into a messy legal battle, and could this backfire on AEW? Just the general shambolic nature of AAA could prove an issue anyway. More interesting is that an alliance with AAA is pretty much a guarantee that they won't be working with NJPW. 

Bringing in Joshi names is a good way to bolster the women's division, though I wonder if they have worked out relationships with specific promotions, or are just bringing people in piecemeal. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's got to be badly reported hasn't it? Doesn't make sense on any level. Unless he said tag teams anyone gives a shit about on Raw and then he's got a point.

Would be rather elitist of them.

• Paid Members

A Tweet reply from a random when I made the point that fans hoping for all these big WWE names to jump to AEW will inevitably be disappointed;

Randy would be a fool of a business man if he didn't hear them out.I don't expect them to get Brock the Khans are not about to invest that kinda money in a hardcore part timer.

Case in point.

• Paid Members

I liked it. Much better than the last one. It had a similar vibe to that episode of Raw where they were snowed in. Maybe it's because of how much in-ring action we get nowadays, but it was a nice alternative to just have guys cut quick promos or shoot quick angles. Astonished no-one took a bump into the pool though.

Nothing truly surprising, but at least we're starting to see a card develop. The Lucha Brothers looked the business walking out in suits and masks and I thought Pac's promo was really good. I could've done without the fans and their shitty, awkward chants, but otherwise thumbs up.

Is Nyla Rose the first transgender woman to feature in a prominent organisation? She's the first I've heard of.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the conference and the card is shaping up rather nicely. If their regular TV output consists of a monthly press conference, with three weeks of taped matches around it and a blow off event, then I'll be happy.

PAC is a money promo, and Hangman was able to hang in there too. Also LOVE Best Friends mimicking the Outsiders with their outfits. 

Yeah can Conrad fuck off? You just know that idiot is going to be on commentary.

Anyway, Omega signing is not a huge shock, but I assume they're going to be building the company around him. Which they should.

Its a pity in a way as I would have loved to see him in WWE at some point, if only for the AJ/Bryan/Joe/Rey/Rollins possibilities. Ah well.

38 minutes ago, Louch said:

The young bucks said you don’t see tag teams main eventing, and that’s what they said they are bringing back

It is sad that the tag titles rarely get defended in a main event. I hope AEW can book their TV around having one of their title's defended each week as the main event of the show. The program should build to that match, highlighting a different division each week as well as sowing the seeds for the next few weeks title matches. The Champions can still appear on all the shows but they don't have to all be in featured matches.

It absolutely does my head in that WWE feel the need to have all their main titles defended on big shows and I hope AEW can avoid title matches for the sake of it that get lost in the shuffle.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, boytoy said:

It absolutely does my head in that WWE feel the need to have all their main titles defended on big shows

I know, the concept of prestigious titles being saved for prestigious events has been constantly proven to be a flawed idea.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I know, the concept of prestigious titles being saved for prestigious events has been constantly proven to be a flawed idea.

I assumed he meant ALL their main titles defended at EVERY ppv. In which case he's right, it definitely doesn't help the championships mean anything.

1 hour ago, Louch said:

The young bucks said you don’t see tag teams main eventing, and that’s what they said they are bringing back

It's great that the bookers are telling everyone they will be booking themselves in the main event.