All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Louch said:

Why do you rally hope to gain from reading the comments sections of those stories though? They ain’t gonna be filled with the wise and wonderful of wrestling. It’s people who enjoy other people  pretending to fighting in their pants. You ain’t finding Mensa members in Facebook stories about it. If you are away hunting for that kinda content, it’s cause you want to hate it. Just cause none of us on here have any positive optimism left doenst mean no one can re wrestling. 

We're getting it right here with that MDPPPPPPP oddball.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Jimmy Havoc is an odd choice. He's bloody great in any indie setting but stands out like a sore thumb on a major stage. Also his whole character is a dangerous blood thirsty psychopath but he's not really particularly threatening because he's a small guy with no muscle who doesn't look genuinely threatening against most guys and doesn't really do anything that crazy or bloody compared to other deathmatch guys.

Basically his act is a great entrance but when it comes to bell time, I’m not sure what he offers tbh.

Agree 100% on Jimmy Havoc. Everything about him screams small time for me and I think everything about him is shite. He's fine for things like PROGRESS where they cater to a very specific audience. AEW isn't going to make waves in the industry by appealing to a niche indy fanbase it needs to have mainstream appeal. Imagine you're a casual wrestling fan and not the ubermark we all are. As you're fed up with WWE you decide to check out this AEW you've been hearing about to see a pleather clad poundshop version of Skrillex on your screen. 

• Paid Members

I've no problem with Havoc being there - he's not going to be main eventing, he's going to be having bonkers gimmick matches with the likes of Joey Janela, and he taps into a UK scene that's already got a microscope on it thanks to WWE. 

It's like saying "imagine tuning into WWE in 1998 and seeing The Headbangers" - he's not going to be the measuring stick by which the promotion is judged, is he?

• Paid Members

A guy like Havoc is a decent catch if you're (a) looking to put on the "something for everyone" circus and (b) aiming to do as much as possible that WWE don't/can't.

8 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Imagine you're a casual wrestling fan and not the ubermark we all are.

ROFLCOPTOR

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I've no problem with Havoc being there - he's not going to be main eventing, he's going to be having bonkers gimmick matches with the likes of Joey Janela, and he taps into a UK scene that's already got a microscope on it thanks to WWE. 

It's like saying "imagine tuning into WWE in 1998 and seeing The Headbangers" - he's not going to be the measuring stick by which the promotion is judged, is he?

I don't think that's the same...Headbangers at least were relatively big guys that fit into the attitude era and crossovers with stuff like Marilyn Manson and the music scene of the time. Havoc just looks shite all round. As someone else says there is absolutely nothing unique at all that he does where they couldn't have gotten someone else who does it better. When AEW can pretty much take anyone they want who isn't under a contract with WWE or ROH then Havoc to be is a really odd choice.

• Paid Members

Not everyone has to be a 'superstar' to fill out your roster. Despite my own comments about Havoc, he is an good asset for any company. He's a very creative guy who is well versed on the mic and someone who really wants to tell stories. He can slide into the midcard really well and he all ready has an established fan base to bring along with him.

Also, if AEW can bag the rights to AFI's 'I Hope You Suffer', then you have the ready made killer entrance, and sometimes that's all that matters to those "Show me the finish" casual types.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I don't think that's the same...Headbangers at least were relatively big guys that fit into the attitude era and crossovers with stuff like Marilyn Manson and the music scene of the time. Havoc just looks shite all round. As someone else says there is absolutely nothing unique at all that he does where they couldn't have gotten someone else who does it better. When AEW can pretty much take anyone they want who isn't under a contract with WWE or ROH then Havoc to be is a really odd choice.

If the Headbangers (a name I picked at random from the Attitude era midcard, admittedly) worked because they fit the Attitude Era, then we can't say that Jimmy Havoc won't fit in AEW, because we don't know what AEW looks like. In terms of being relatively big guys, they weren't by the standards of the WWF roster at the time, and Jimmy Havoc won't look undersized if he's sharing the ring with Joey Janela or the Young Bucks. 

In terms of fitting with the music scene at the time - Jimmy Havoc looks far more like people I've seen at countless gigs and rock clubs than either of the Headbangers did; they looked like what they were, two WWF midcarders put in Marilyn Manson shirts sent out to bop about to Jim Johnston music like a parody of what they were meant to represent. 

He's not the best worker, for whatever that's worth, but he's one of the bigger unsigned names on one of the hottest scenes in the world, I disagree that he looks shite - I think he has a decent, recognisable, marketable look, and stands out from the crowd. 

Again, not everyone AEW signs is going to be wrestling 60 minute main event matches against Kenny Omega. Not every signing is going to be Chris Jericho. Why not Jimmy Havoc?

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I've no problem with Havoc being there - he's not going to be main eventing, he's going to be having bonkers gimmick matches

That's the thing. He doesn't really have bonkers gimmick matches compared to loads of other people out there. If they're looking for someone to fill that gap they should have hired Nick Gage who is a believable violent nutcase and actually does have bonkers gimmick matches. He's a better promo and wrestler too.

Basically I just love Nick Gage.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

But if AEW are angling for a major TV deal, they need someone to have TV-friendly bonkers gimmick matches. Like how the WWF used to refer to Mankind's history of Japanese death matches to bolster his hardcore reputation in the WWF, and take some of that on by association, without ever having to book a barbed wire match or anything with explosions and whatnot themselves.

Havoc grants AEW that - the reputation of deathmatch wrestling, ready and willing to take some punishment, but palatable to put on TV.