All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

What about something more radical, like a Bellator style tournament system?  Some of the best WWE tv in recent years has been based around tournaments (Dusty Tag Classic, Mae Young Classic, Cruiserweight Classic etc).

You could have matches outside the tournaments, where wins don't REALLY matter, but have the path to a championship always be via tournament.  Seemed quite cool in the early days of Bellator.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, LCJ said:

I'm willing to bet that the likes of Man City have outspent Fulham by a considerable amount during the last few years. If they really have spent that much, then quite frankly they haven't used the money wisely.

Well yes, of course City have spent more. For a club of Fulham's size though, they spent mega club-equivalent money in the summer. But yeah you're probably right in that they didn't use the money wisely, as they're 2nd from bottom of the Premier League and 5 pts from safety at the moment.

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Well yes, of course City have spent more. For a club of Fulham's size though, they spent mega club-equivalent money in the summer. But yeah you're probably right in that they didn't use the money wisely, as they're 2nd from bottom of the Premier League and 5 pts from safety at the moment.

I think Fulham have a side that would breeze through the Championship but struggle in the Premier League. I can’t see them surviving but stranger things have happened. Might depend on how they address the situation in the transfer window.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Tamura said:

I'm confused by all this talk of rankings. AEW are hardly the size of 1980s or 1990s WCW or WWF, I'm sure you could write down their entire roster in decent sized writing on the back of a stamp.

Not sure that matters. Even if the deal ends up being closer to the "supershow" model than a fully fleshed out roster with main eventers down to JTTS, you can make wins and losses matter. Dragon Gate UK ran 2/3 shows a year with a small touring roster and still had a semblance of a ranking system by announcing the wins and losses of each guy before a match, with -2 IIRC putting you out of the company and +5 making you eligible to contend for the title. Which was really starting to work except the company stopped existing right as two guys reached +5. You don't need big numbers to establish a pecking order and further reasons to want to win other than your hand raised and a bigger purse.

• Paid Members

There's a semi-interesting listen on this weeks Jericho podcast as he gives his side of the story and some background on the whole AEW launch.

I almost switched off at the start though as he claimed there were 1000 people at the AEW rally and repeated the tall tale that his name alone drew an extra 15,000 ticket sales for the Tokyo Dome and 40,000 extra subscribers to the NJPW Network. He's good isn't he?

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, martyngnr said:

I almost switched off at the start though as he claimed there were 1000 people at the AEW rally and repeated the tall tale that his name alone drew an extra 15,000 ticket sales for the Tokyo Dome and 40,000 extra subscribers to the NJPW Network. He's good isn't he?

The number itself is a fallacy - he fits right in to Japan in that respect - but WK last year was the best attended Dome show in many years and a significant uplift on the year before. A big impact on this was the increased interest from Western fans, and in turn the promotion of Omega vs Jericho will have been a factor in that. More American and European fans attended that Kingdom than ever before. I was there myself and there were tons of foreigners all around me up in the heavens, those of us who flew out VERY near the day of the show and had to take whatever seats we could get, and with my own eyes I could see that the Alpha vs Omega t-shirt was a massive seller that week. Jericho is very much "still going is he?" or "I wondered what he was up to" if it's not WWE to a lot of fans but to a certain market he still moves the needle.

Agreed, he definitely did cause a huge splash last year at WK. People who had maybe a passing interest in other wrestling suddenly started getting excited about that match. Also in Japan it was big news as it was his first time there in years and it was a big novelty.

Jericho does love to blow his own trumpet, but I wouldn't bet against this being some kind of angle/persona he's playing up to.

All these WWE release request rumours are getting interesting.....but nobody should be gullible enough to think any would be granted - certainly without non-competes attached.

If Mike Bennet and Maria Kannellis asked for theirs, that's cheeky - didn't they come in, do fuck all, have maternity leave, go into rehab and only just return? I'm sure Vince loved that one!

• Paid Members

Apparently there's all kinds of stuff going on with that Mike Bennett thing. WWE didnt pay for his rehab by all accounts, he went independently. WWE didnt like him working his own angle on twitter mentioning how he was doing pills during his WWE tenure which lead to him going to rehab. And Maria was under the impression that she was going to get a role on Total Divas and the Bellas were like "fuck off." Their thing is less to do with what is going on currently and more that they are at odds with the company. Their tenure in WWE has been insane. I cant wait until we find out the full story on it.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

If Mike Bennet and Maria Kannellis asked for theirs, that's cheeky - didn't they come in, do fuck all, have maternity leave, go into rehab and only just return? I'm sure Vince loved that one!

And good on them if it's true. I'll always root for people sticking it to the big, bad corporations, if only because I'd never have the balls to do such a thing myself.

6 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is Mike actually any good? Has he been screwed over? Haven't seen anything outside of WWE.

He just seems to like arguing with people on Twitter by defending himself for not being on TV and making more money by doing so.