All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

4 hours ago, MPDTT said:

I don't like WWE, I don't watch WWE, I don't have a WWE network subscription. I'm a HonorClub subscriber and a NJPW World subscriber... All In was the show of the year as far as I'm concerned.

giphy.gif

@Devon Malcolm, you're spot on.  My guess is there are people who despise WWE so much that they don't want to watch their product, even when their favourite performers are on the bill.  What an alternative product could bring that's new is beyond me, there is already so many things different on offer as it is.  That's why they get excited at the thought of the latest alphabet soup promotion coming along so they can be the winner of fighting over scraps from the WWE table.

It's not even bush league.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

@Devon Malcolm, you're spot on.  My guess is there are people who despise WWE so much that they don't want to watch their product, even when their favourite performers are on the bill.  What an alternative product could bring that's new is beyond me, there is already so many things different on offer as it is.  That's why they get excited at the thought of the latest alphabet soup promotion coming along so they can be the winner of fighting over scraps from the WWE table.

Nah.

There is a market between your ROH's and your alphabetti spaghetti indies and WWE. There always has been. I get the comments on the sort of "fans" who'll turn their nose up at this if it becomes more than a glorified indy but that's where the market is. For a promotion with some national exposure who offer a product that is more old school than WWE and is probably more adult - not from a tits and arse perspective (fuck you, Russo).

It needs some recognisable names and recurring characters which you don't get with indies and it needs money to attract TV interest and sponsors.

I think there are loads of people who'd watch it. The key is exposure though. Getting beyond the finite group who watch ROH or NXT is important though. There are literally millions of lapsed fans. Your neckbeards, those lapsed fans and whatever you can pick up from WWE are your market.

And of course, there are WWE fans who would watch it.  My point is it will be nothing new and a shrewd businessman like Khan won't be throwing millions at it to get something like a 10% market share.  Peoples hatred of all things Vince is clouding perspective in my opinion, they WANT to break up the hold he has on wrestling so much they'll put all their faith in any old snake oil salesman or money mark.

Competition is wonderful, but even if this gets bankrolled like fans hope it does, it'll be a youtube show vs Game Of Thrones.  There are plenty of youtube shows already.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And of course, there are WWE fans who would watch it.  My point is it will be nothing new and a shrewd businessman like Khan won't be throwing millions at it to get something like a 10% market share.  Peoples hatred of all things Vince is clouding perspective in my opinion, they WANT to break up the hold he has on wrestling so much they'll put all their faith in any old snake oil salesman or money mark.

Competition is wonderful, but even if this gets bankrolled like fans hope it does, it'll be a youtube show vs Game Of Thrones.  There are plenty of youtube shows already.

That's a fair point but what other industry are there literally millions of people who no longer watch/follow the biggest example of that industry? It'd be like Vince launching the XFL IF the NFL had lost millions and millions of viewers over the last decade or two.

Plus, it's an industry that traditionally peaks and troughs. Something always sparks the next peak and who is to know what that is? Don't get me wrong, I don't think this will be anything more than MLW, unfortunately, but I can see an opportunity if someone with big balls and a big wallet did it right.

31 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's a fair point but what other industry are there literally millions of people who no longer watch/follow the biggest example of that industry?

NASCAR is the first one off the top of my head, attendances have dropped for that. 

As bad as it sounds, a lot of people have stopped watching because they've "Grown out of it".  Wrestling may be cyclical, although I tend to think that gets used as an excuse for too many things, but maybe it's a case of entertainment moves on?  What are Panini album sales like these days?  When we were kids (Yeah I know it was a very long time ago) we all had sticker albums, BMXs, skateboards etc but tastes have changed, kids don't get them in the numbers they once did.  I think it's the same as wrestling.  There isn't so much a lapsed fanbase, more a fanbase that hasn't been replaced this time around.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There are already numerous alternative products to WWE, credible or otherwise. What are ROH and CZW and the like if not alternatives? And what is the 'different target audience'? It strikes me, whenever I see NXT or a WWE PPV or the Raw after Wrestlemania, that said 'different target audience' is sat at a WWE event waiting for the wrestlers they've been following around on the indies to appear at a WWE event. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. These people who are clamoring for an 'alternative' don't actually want an alternative; all they want is WWE booked like their own EWR promotion. The thought of watching anything that hasn't got the same names and/or production value as Vince's mega show isn't going to appease them because they're full of faux-outrage. Just like people who moan about a supposed lack of 'proper music' these days, but when you direct them to bands and artists who aren't in the Top 40 they suddenly lose interest.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

People want TNA circa 2005 before Russo booked it to hell, or a well booked indy with top grade production values. It's a shame these people don't just watch NXT. All In felt a big deal but TakeOver happens every couple of months and doesn't need 12 months build or hype. But you still get workrate and movez!1

41 minutes ago, air_raid said:

People want TNA circa 2005 before Russo booked it to hell, or a well booked indy with top grade production values. It's a shame these people don't just watch NXT. All In felt a big deal but TakeOver happens every couple of months and doesn't need 12 months build or hype. But you still get workrate and movez!1

Whilst true, some people don't want to give WWE any of their cash and fair play to them for sticking to that.  

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Whilst true, some people don't want to give WWE any of their cash and fair play to them for sticking to that. 

Oh, I wasn't even thinking about any of these moan artists actually paying cash money to Watch Wrestling.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 1:39 PM, Keith Houchen said:

giphy.gif

What is Bush League? Is it an Americanism? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

It would seem that this is looking more and more likely......given their ROH departure and the content of this weeks Being the Elite.

2pdifj.jpg