All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46853221 Tony Khan tells Fulham fan to go to hell on Twitter. His heel GM promo game is good. 

Wow. That bodes well for when AEW gets publicly criticised and he's constantly getting @'ed about booking decisions etc. He's another Road Dogg in the making. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Wow. That bodes well for when AEW gets publicly criticised and he's constantly getting @'ed about booking decisions etc. He's another Road Dogg in the making. 

It's interesting how so many people are proclaiming AEW to be some kind of game changer or new beginning for wrestling while already that's looking like an extremely ill-advised suggestion considering the money man behind it is going to be booking it and probably an on-screen character. Sounds a bit.... no, it couldn't be.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

I have never been a fan of Jericho. His in ring work bores me to tears, his character work as the suit wearing heel was good. 

And even then he was pretty much a word for word verbatim B&M Bargains Nick Bockwinkel. 

Edited by PowerButchi

On 1/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, BigJackTaylor said:

Which is why they should have been all about been completely different from the very start.

*Weight classes 

*Weigh ins 

Actual weight classes would be far too limiting I think, but there's definitely some mileage in weigh-ins.

When a wrestler is announced before a match they tend to mention his weight, don't they? They have to find that weight out from somewhere, so why not do an actual weigh-in for PPV's the night before? It adds an extra level of hype, as we've seen in the UFC over the years...

0079626a-a01f-40cb-a241-5b8de66b6614-ori

b8f53047-e347-4fb6-92d5-11a2cbb397ce-ori

830095cc-9ba9-4b28-9d48-5b2508e1760c-ori

It's an extra event for fans to attend the night before the show, and as long as it's not done to death there's scope for weigh-in brawls and guys losing control, which obviously would lead to them "being fined" like 20% of their purse and so on.

Edited by David

Wrestling needs to go back to it's roots as cartoony rather than heading in the direction of being more legitimate. No idea why fans want that. 

Why would you want a product everyone knows isn't real to be legit? That it's not legit and you can do so much more with it because of that is the reason we all fell in love in the first place. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Actual weight classes would be far too limiting I think, but there's definitely some mileage in weigh-ins.

When a wrestler is announced before a match they tend to mention his weight, don't they? They have to find that weight out from somewhere, so why not do an actual weigh-in for PPV's the night before? It adds an extra level of hype, as we've seen in the UFC over the years...

0079626a-a01f-40cb-a241-5b8de66b6614-ori

b8f53047-e347-4fb6-92d5-11a2cbb397ce-ori

830095cc-9ba9-4b28-9d48-5b2508e1760c-ori

It's an extra event for fans to attend the night before the show, and as long as it's not done to death there's scope for weigh-in brawls and guys losing control, which obviously would lead to them "being fined" like 20% of their purse and so on.

Agreed

I would also base fueds on faction conflict. Say you have the bullet club. That faction will have a manager/spokesperson who deals with the governing body to put matches together kinda like a Bob Arum or Eddie Hearn. 

Win and loss records would be a decent idea to explore too although I'm not sure how you could implement that with how pro wrestling is presented. Maybe allow talent to work elsewhere and kayfabe call them the amateurs or summat. 

14 minutes ago, FUM said:

Wrestling needs to go back to it's roots as cartoony rather than heading in the direction of being more legitimate. No idea why fans want that. 

Why would you want a product everyone knows isn't real to be legit?

Because Dave Meltzer is the best worker the business has ever seen.

35 minutes ago, FUM said:

Why would you want a product everyone knows isn't real to be legit? That it's not legit and you can do so much more with it because of that is the reason we all fell in love in the first place. 

Is there anything more cartoony than two men in their pants squaring off on a stage surrounded by "police officers" though? It's like a promo, it adds excitement to the upcoming event, doesn't it? That final face-off and the apparent conclusion of all the pre-match carry on. Weights have been taken, all that's left is to fight!

• Paid Members

Wrestling is always at it's best when it's not overly po-faced. Dear Butch's Lawler thread has a couple of videos that show exactly what wrestling should be, which is why Lawler is a master at his craft, getting that balance spot on. It's a bit like a good Marvel film, where they throw in some joke or some madness to cut up the serious stuff because it's all a bit daft, like wrestling. Never go full DC, is my point.

For me, the very best talent could always make you laugh, intentional or not.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I think there's a market for "shoot" pro wrestling, but on the Josh Barnett level rather than WWE.  People who want legit looking fighting will watch MMA.  And if there WAS a way to present that to the larger public, The Elite are definitely not the guys to do it!

So I hope AEW lean in to the sports entertainment aspect of it.  That's the market that WWE have proven is continually regenerating and a money spinner.

I genuinely hope this company works out.  The more long-term income streams that pro wrestlers have, the better it is for the business.  TNA/Impact has provided a whole generation of wrestlers with a long-term employer and produced some legit top line stars.  If AEW can approach their success, then I would hope we'd all be supportive, as wrestling fans.