All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

It's usually estimated that an episode of RAW/Smackdown costs close to $1m in production costs to film. That's $104m per year. If AEW have one show a week on a network that would expect high levels of production quality, and try to produce it in a way that is cheaper than WWE, they might come out anywhere between $26-$52m per year. AEW might get the lower end of that per year if they are lucky. I'd be surprised if they got the top end.

It would be madness to go 'live' every week in my view. The casual viewers (if they attract them in numbers) aren't going to bother checking out spoilers online and the hardcore fans are going to be into this enough for that not to bother them anyway.

• Paid Members

WWE runs in different locations each week, which I’d imagine isn’t the cheapest of operations to pull off when it comes to shippinng all of their equipment around and one of the main contributing factors of the large costs. It’s possible AEW could save some coin initially by running less cities/towns etc in the interim, at least for TV purposes. 

• Paid Members

I hope they're taping a few weeks in a good venue for telly. Doing it live every week seems like madness considering they're just starting and they don't know how consistently they can draw good houses.

TNA really went down hill fast with their stupid decision to leave the Impact Zone and go live every week to arenas they barely done any business in. I know AEW can be smarter than TNA and get more appropriate venues, but for telly reasons it would probably look better for them to get a good house and tape a month or so.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

I'm seriously considering flying out to Vegas for Starrcast II and Double or Nothing. MGM Grand and Vegas more generally are like my spiritual home.....

Gar Ynys Mon from here went to Vegas to see the last big wrestling start up. That went well.

Anyway, we all know about Chris Jericho's gunt he's rocking these days, what's that hair line about now though? That's blatantly not his. A hairdo on the same shocking level as Sting's WWE Pigeon WIngs (copyright Ian)

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Weezenal said:

I thought TV stations wanted more live shows people feel they must watch live..

I can't speak for the US broadcasters, but over here they 100% looking for more live programming. With Netflix, Prime and the rise of On Demand television, linear TV is not as strong as it once was.

As such, networks now want "appointment to view" television, which is why Channel 4 spent so much on Bake Off (it's not live, but the danger of spoilers is the same as if it were the next day in the office, for example). Live programming offers something different that, for now at least, non-linear broadcasters have only dabbled with.

The landscape will change in the coming years, but currently it's a big part of the strategy broadcasters in the UK are implementing and I have to imagine the US is similar. This should go some way to explaining the big TV deals for WWE but also the potentially big fee available for an AEW, should they have the right package for a network.

• Paid Members

Chris Jericho likening his level of star in 2019 being aligned to a startup, to being anywhere near the level of the one and only Hulk Hogan going to WCW after ten years loyalty to the industry leader to present (first and foremost) the option of the dream match with the one and only Ric fucking Flair to a pay per view audience is the most powerful string yet to the bow of "God, please let this fail miserably." Tosser.

10 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Where's it been proven being live doesn't add viewers? I thought TV stations wanted more live shows people feel they must watch live..

TV stations for sure want more live programming, things they think are DVR proof. However, wrestling TV ratings historically have never made any difference based on being live or taped.

I'm in agreement with a lot of folks - I don't see being live every week being viable, because I don't see how they can draw a strong live crowd that will look major league every week, at least at first. AEW is huge to the existing die-hards, the fly-in crowd, and I expect Double or Nothing will do well, but that's isolated. Maybe there will be a massive media pitch that could get some more eyes on it, but it almost feels like an ECW TV style presentation might work best - tape a bunch of awesome matches in front of a packed crowd in a big venue every six weeks, then use them for TV and fill the rest up with the punditry, character work and promos all built around the matches and building the next show.

I think what excites me most is the prospect of a TV show that is fundamentally designed to get me excited for something - whether it be a match or a show, something to get hyped about. WWE is so rich they don't have to hard sell anything, and they rarely do.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Chris Jericho likening his level of star in 2019 being aligned to a startup, to being anywhere near the level of the one and only Hulk Hogan going to WCW after ten years loyalty to the industry leader to present (first and foremost) the option of the dream match with the one and only Ric fucking Flair to a pay per view audience is the most powerful string yet to the bow of "God, please let this fail miserably." Tosser.

Let's be fair. Talking shite is the only thing he's on Hogan's level at.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

He did beat Stone Cold and The Rock in the same night you know.

Just waiting for him to claim that he slammed Khali over his head at Wrestlemania or something now.

Only 3 months before Khali('s career) died.