All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

This is like playing EWR.  You know they'll end up on The Dish Network.

The cynicism comes from these past few years of TNA announcing terrible deal after terrible deal with each one taking them closer to ending up on those Nigerian channels where all the programs have names of films like "Deep Impact" but are actually some bloke on a toilet filming himself on a Nokia 8210.

9 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The cynicism comes from these past few years of TNA announcing terrible deal after terrible deal with each one taking them closer to ending up on those Nigerian channels where all the programs have names of films like "Deep Impact" but are actually some bloke on a toilet filming himself on a Nokia 8210.

I imagine this will be the AEW version of The Young Bucks interviewing Velveteen Dream

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Where the hell did you read that?

I haven't seen $100m per year mentioned anywhere. Only the talk that it was an 8 figure deal. My guess is the 8 figure talk means the total for the duration of the deal, and also means not a penny over $10,000,000. But who knows, it's very early days and lots of stuff coming out may not have much truth to it, and could change at anytime. Could be that somebody heard 8 figures, got it in their head that was $100m, then gossip started. 

I'd be fucking astounded if AEW got anywhere near $100m in total for the years of the deal. They'll be doing very well to get TNA Spike era cash at the start. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

In this media climate, they should be biting any network's hands off that offer a deal covering the show's production costs and a few million a year.

Other than Spike TV, no decent networks have taken a punt on non-WWE wrestling for the last 20 years, so I call cobblers on any talk of $100m contracts.

The XWF had bigger mainstream names than this lot and they couldn’t get a deal despite existing during a time when wrestling was much hotter.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The XWF had bigger mainstream names than this lot and they couldn’t get a deal despite existing during a time when wrestling was much hotter.

The XWF was a mess, though. It was just Jimmy Hart, Greg Valentine and Brian Knobs trying to sell a pilot of matches of people who were already under contract to WWF or dead. You've got more chance getting on TV now than you did back then.

• Paid Members

It's usually estimated that an episode of RAW/Smackdown costs close to $1m in production costs to film. That's $104m per year. If AEW have one show a week on a network that would expect high levels of production quality, and try to produce it in a way that is cheaper than WWE, they might come out anywhere between $26-$52m per year. AEW might get the lower end of that per year if they are lucky. I'd be surprised if they got the top end.

From what I've picked up in all the chatter out there, is that they want to go live, but I can't see why they would need to. It adds costs, yet with wrestling and MMA on television, it's been proven time and again that it doesn't also add viewers in any meaningful manner. 

Edited by WeeAl