All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Whilst I can understand wanting to make a more professional sports-style product, I think anyone doing so needs to be careful as to which elements they take. Press conferences and weigh-ins, for example: pressers make sense for World titles, but I really don't think weigh-ins are a good idea. You'd have to have weigh-ins for every match, and it's important to bear in mind that wrestlers "fight" much, much more frequently than boxers or MMA fighters actually fight, and wrestling events are much more frequent in general than MMA or boxing ones. Imagine having weigh-ins, even just for the main events of TV shows, every single week? Would get old really quickly.

Let's assume you'd just have them for PPV - you'd have to establish early on that all other weigh-ins are behind closed doors, I guess.

Like you say, With weigh ins you can smoke and mirrors it and for the weekly shows you can just put the weight in the wrestlers graphic. 

It's about making it different to the competition. Look at the first cruiserweight tournament. There was a different feel and that's why it was a success. It wasn't that they were all doing flips and flops. 

Same thing with the press conferences. One a month before the big MGM event would be special.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, BigJackTaylor said:

Like you say, With weigh ins you can smoke and mirrors it and for the weekly shows you can just put the weight in the wrestlers graphic. 

It's about making it different to the competition. Look at the first cruiserweight tournament. There was a different feel and that's why it was a success. It wasn't that they were all doing flips and flops. 

Same thing with the press conferences. One a month before the big MGM event would be special.

I absolutely agree that differentiating it from WWE's product should be the way to go, and a more sports-style presentation would certainly go some way towards doing that. But there needs to be some selectiveness, and it seems to me that it would be best to adopt those things that add to the narrative but don't risk highlighting the worked nature of wrestling. Weigh-ins would be one of those, not just because of the sheer frequency with which the promotion would have to do them, but also because weight limits don't really matter in most wrestling companies - cruisers/light heavies have often competed with legit heavies in the past. Put it this way: we've seen CM Punk have feuds and matches with Brock Lesnar, but nobody in their right mind would have ever entertained the idea that Punk could ever compete with him in MMA before his appearances in the UFC.

One thing I would definitely have is punditry and a sports room. I remember it as one of the WWF's better presentation methods in the early 90s; was great how they used it to bring back Mr. Perfect to team with Savage within one episode - that was a masterly bit of work. But I'd like to see retired wrestlers and managers who can talk doing punditry, mentioning things like technique, ability, physical comparisons, etc. - it'd all be bollocks, but it would contribute to giving the product a different feel.

Hell, maybe even get a ref to do that ref punditry, commenting on whether or not they'd agree with controversial ref decisions, like BT Sport do with Howard Webb for the football.

9 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Looks like if UK Kat Von D joined the Legion Of Doom. 

I’ve literally already done that outfit and it looked way better than Jericho.

On today’s grasping at straws: Rancid are playing the same weekend in Vegas that the AEW show is on. Only ups the chances that CM Punk will play a part, even if it’s just a signing again. 

• Paid Members

Punditry, or some kind of in-studio framing device, is how I would approach wrestling on TV if I had the opportunity. On one hand it can be used to present a more real sports-like approach (I'm thinking of the "Bracketology" hype shows that WWE have done for the Cruiserweight Classic and Mae Young Classic combined with the pre-show panels and something like Talking Smack), but it also can be used for goofy, Tuesday Night Titans style comedy, Piper's Pit style talk show segments, or just setting up all kinds of angles.

Anything that takes you away from the presentation looking like the WWE and, more importantly, like the WWE has looked for decades. It doesn't need to be the WWE style "open with pyro, commentators welcome you to the show from a ringside announce table", but that's what everyone who gets on TV does. 

4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Punditry, or some kind of in-studio framing device, is how I would approach wrestling on TV if I had the opportunity. On one hand it can be used to present a more real sports-like approach (I'm thinking of the "Bracketology" hype shows that WWE have done for the Cruiserweight Classic and Mae Young Classic combined with the pre-show panels and something like Talking Smack), but it also can be used for goofy, Tuesday Night Titans style comedy, Piper's Pit style talk show segments, or just setting up all kinds of angles.

Anything that takes you away from the presentation looking like the WWE and, more importantly, like the WWE has looked for decades. It doesn't need to be the WWE style "open with pyro, commentators welcome you to the show from a ringside announce table", but that's what everyone who gets on TV does. 

Yup. Agree 100%

With regards to weight classes it's about having a discipline to see it through. 

The one big issue if you went pseudo sport would be a lack of gimmick matches and how fans would take to just not having any. 

Edited by BigJackTaylor

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

On today’s grasping at straws: Rancid are playing the same weekend in Vegas that the AEW show is on. Only ups the chances that CM Punk will play a part, even if it’s just a signing again. 

Somebody somewhere is 100% convinced that Punk asked the Bucks to try and schedule the show that weekend on purpose.

• Paid Members

I love the idea that Punk is so cheap that the only reason he's not returned to wrestling so far is that it's never coincided with when he's already popping into town.

That and the idea that AEW would have CM Punk contracted, and would choose to cut that announcement for time, but leave in Joey Janela.

28 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Somebody somewhere is 100% convinced that Punk asked the Bucks to try and schedule the show that weekend on purpose.

As beautiful as that would be, unfortunately I think it will only really increase the possibility of him doing a meet and greet during the day like he did at the last show. It probably is a pure coincidence, or maybe the Bucks are way smarter than any of us could imagine. Book the first show on his doorstep, then book the second show where his favourite band and mates will be. Even if they are only doing it to increase speculation that Punk will show up that would still be genius. It’s the ultimate tease without even actually teasing anything. 

A Rancid gig is probably the only thing that could convince Punk that a weekend in Vegas will be fun. I only realised because I’m already going to the festival which Rancid are headlining. I’ll probably get tickets for the show, but if there are bands I want to see I’ll probably flog the AEW tickets on the door (unless they have some big announcements.)

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I only realised because I’m already going to the festival which Rancid are headlining. I’ll probably get tickets for the show, but if there are bands I want to see I’ll probably flog the AEW tickets on the door (unless they have some big announcements.)

You being there should bump up demand alone.

58 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That and the idea that AEW would have CM Punk contracted, and would choose to cut that announcement for time, but leave in Joey Janela.

To be fair, I imagine Punk would have his own separate announcement from everyone else anyway. Makes a lot more sense than putting him in the same announcement as Joey Janela.

Edit: Sorry bout the double post, but it’s CM Punk speculation so I think we can all understand me getting excited for no reason.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Tony Khan was on X-Pac's podcast yesterday, and he sounds pretty clued up. Says he wants wrestling to be more serious, and have things matter more. Which is interesting considering how long this lot have championed "its only wrestling" and everything is a joke. I wonder if that attitude goes out the window now there's real money on the table.

• Paid Members

Cody did a real sports serious build trying to make me believe the NWA title and Magnus meant something so if anyone knows it's all just for a laugh, it's him.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

TNA had a crack at something like that when they did that massive World Title tournament with the round robin group stage at the beginning - IIRC it was the first time they’d taped about a thousand weeks in advance.

Matthews & Pope presented from (green screen) studio, they did some matches joined-in-progress, a handful in highlight form, inlaid round-table discussions with the competitors picture-in-picture over some matches etc.

It was a real breath of fresh air while it lasted.