All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

As one of these mythical 'lapsed fans', I can confirm that Chris Jericho's saggy tits aren't going to make me invest any time in this. 

I'm not particularly interested in this kind of product either, and if I was I'd already be watching ROH and New Japan.

But as someone who gets as much, if not more, out of reading about wrestling than actually watching it these days, you can't dispute that we're heading into interesting times in terms of the business aspect.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I'm not particularly interested in this kind of product either, and if I was I'd already be watching ROH and New Japan.

Cody and his mob have had me more interested in the last two months than ROH have managed in the last 8 years combined. Workrate perverts that just can't get into New Japan for some reason * should just watch NXT.

* That reason is called racism.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I haven't checked for myself, but it looks like they might have removed Jericho from the show opening already.

36DA079F-3D3A-4F53-95E6-626773F18163.jpeg

And they've added in Rob Halford? An upgrade in every way. 

• Paid Members

He looks awful now compared to his old self. It's not aging as it seems to have come on over the past 2 years old so, plus there's others his age that look so much better. I heard it's for story line purposes, it's almost like he now just thinks fuck it. This version of Jericho is not going to bring in many lapsed viewers. On the BBC today Khan said that he's going to have rosta full of top level talent. For the first few years I don't know how they will achieve that. WWE is now tying up most of their talent and have signed most of the best indie talent out there for their two NXT versions. It will take a few years of waiting for any fed up talent to be able to get free from their contractual obligations. The WWE won't be having any culls this near or next, only with talent they can't see any value whatsoever in. They are in a worse spot than TNA were when they first formed. They could snap up the WCW and ECW talent WWE didn't want. Plus with OVW as their only developmental source WWE weren't agressive when going for the top end of indie talent along with the lack of exposure that they offered to them then. These days Takeovers are in 10k+ capacity buildings, you have the PC, the Network, social media exposure (picture with HHH upon signing adds the casual WWE followers) and a much larger budget. There's very few Joes and AJ's out there alongside the occasional Steiners and Nash. That was with a Poundshop startup.

You have Cody, Ibushi, The New Buck, Omega + the rest of RoH. There's also Jericho, Osprey and Goldberg out there. There's not much to work with there. Bar Jericho, Punk and Goldberg (if they could even get him), then the recognisable talent is thin. The last most saw of Cody was as a midlevel Stardust four years ago. Pushing him as a top level talent just won't work on a promotion trying to compete directly with WWE. Only indie darlings see him in that category which makes a about 5% of the audience and they need to make this a success.

I hope it works. But it will take a while before any of the top level WWE stars contracts expire and then they have to pull them over. WWE learned from WCW so the contracts are filled with protection on WWE's side and once WWE gets an sniff they are leaving they will be jobbed out to kill as much name value as they can.

They should have done this a few years back as TNA was failing, plenty of talent quickly came on the market.

To make this is a success they need a few on the level of Cena, AJ or Bryan, possibly Rollins. It would be hard to see that happening. 

I want someone to come in a give WWE a good kick, as they've been hugely complacent in the past 17 years. They have such a monopoly creating a top end TV and marketing setup, I fear may not be enough. 

I genuinely hope I'm wrong. I want to get back to enjoy week to week wrestling instead of just dipping in and out of PPV's like I have these past ten years, when I realised TNA was dead in the water.

• Paid Members

What they need is an eye for how to compete with WWE as a TV/PPV product, because almost all wrestling promotions will fail at the first hurdle of following WWE's lead in how you package wrestling for TV, which always puts them in the position of being seen as a WWE wannabe. All-In didn't convince me that The Elite have any interest in reinventing the wheel in that respect. I have a pet theory that wrestling boom periods come with changes in production/presentation as much as anything, though.

The other thing they need, and more importantly anyone with a financial stake in this needs, is patience. Everyone treating this as a potential threat to WWE is setting themselves up to fail. They can't come out swinging for Vince from the get-go. they need to build themselves up until they've earned that spot in the eyes of the viewing public - and it's only the minority within the wrestling bubble who see Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks, let alone the likes of MJF and Joey Janela, as being anywhere near the level of WWE's top stars to Joe Public.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Obviously CM Punk and Goldberg are the names you keep low-key while announcing to the world that you've got MJF and Billy Gunn.

To be fair, Michael J Fox is a huge signing and a bigger name than either of them. 

There's plenty of talent they could bring in.    How about Ryback?  Or James Storm? MVP?  Chris Masters?  Having a few guys with tv exposure would help with the TV show even if only for the short term. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Bohan said:

This MJF could do with a Hoverboard but instead only comes packaged with a shit Burberry scarf!

If KUSHIDA is coming in, the hoverboard is spoken for.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

There's plenty of talent they could bring in.    How about Ryback?  Or James Storm? MVP?  Chris Masters?  Having a few guys with tv exposure would help with the TV show even if only for the short term. 

SOLD. There's your "business changed forever" right there.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Chris Masters?  Christ!