All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

I don't actually think they'll start doing TV for quite a while but they've picked a hell of a time to start challenging WWE for quality when you've got shows as good as recent Smackdown's to compete with. 'Tuesday Night Dynamite' wasn't it?

• Awards Moderator

People are suggesting this shouldn’t be WWE-lite but are then talking about things normalised in WWE (or rather by mainstream wrestling) like commentary. I want this to try things that are totally new. Don’t have commentators, have the matches air but you stream them on Twitch or YouTube or something where you’ve got people commenting over them like they do with video games. I’d fucking hate that but it’s nothing like the standardised announce team sat at a table format and you’d be at least trying to appeal to the audience that doesn’t sit down in front of the TV anymore for entertainment.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

On 1/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, MPDTT said:

Its the type of TV deal that matters. Specifically - 2 hours live in primetime on a major US Cable network, that will support your product through effective advertising, opportunities for cross promotion and so forth.......

5 hours ago, MPDTT said:

I hope it's less scripted and more improv, gives talent much more freedom in the ring, less child orientated and with much more focus on the quality of the in-ring product over all else. At the same time, offering excellent production values that don't make them look like an indie fed and with a marketing budget designed to create a huge and maximise exposure.

I can just imagine a two hour live show where the wrestlers are free to improvise and not bother with things like scripts, the producer will probably drop dead of a heart attack during the show. How are you planning to schedule ad breaks when there's zero to little script and people are busy improvising? And you expect excellent production values while that's happening? You do realise that for lots of important shots the cameramen don't just happen to be in that position by accident, that they know ahead of time they know what's going to happen? Even if you aren't broadcasting live, what you're suggesting is still going to be a nightmare to tape. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Supremo said:

Whatever their roster, I pray that their shows are kept to three hours or less. All In would've been far more enjoyable if they cut all the fat. I hate the, "more is more," pattern that everyone goes for now. Even the most enjoyable shows end up becoming a chore to sit through. 

Absolutely this. The world is absorbing content in smaller chunks these days yet wrestling gets longer and longer and longer. You're not short-changing people by producing two hours of red-hot action instead of 4 hours of mediocre up and down TV. Unfortunately because WWE do it, everyone does. Everyone wants to be different but is so influenced by them.

You want a good one hour of TV and two hour specials, maybe two and a half if you've got the product to fill it. Don't spread yourself thin, don't think that WWE is the norm, don't take any notice of WCW 20+ years ago.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Then how is it different from any other indie?

What I meant was for me, they need to sign an all-star roster, i.e. pick up people who are currently with Impact, people who are currently with RoH, etc etc.

The implication being that those people then stop working for Impact, RoH etc etc.

• Paid Members

No commentary? OK, then. One hour wrestling clip show that constantly cuts to Ant and Dec peeking from Gorilla giggling at botches, looking shocked after top-rope moves etc. Surprised ITV didn’t try that format with Wor… W.O.S.

• Paid Members

Wrestling events on PPV running long isn’t necessarily WWE’s fault. It’s pretty commonplace now across MMA and boxing for instance, which in most cases can last even longer depending on how the various contests pan out. 

The biggest issues WWE have when it comes to PPV events are the sheer volume of them (which automatically dimishes them apart from unique entities like the Rumble and Wrestlemania) and the pacing of the marathon shows. I don’t recall many people whinging about the length of Wrestlemania 30 when Daniel Bryan won the world title for instance, but it was quite easy to become jaded at the prospect of waiting four hours for another Lesnar/Reigns slugfest. Horses for courses but to me that wasn’t a must-see storyline that excited the testes enough to make it an unmissable event. 

TV on the other hand is a different matter - three hours for a weekly show definitely feels like too much and it’s been a long-running issue with Raw. Smackdown and NXT have consistently proven it’s possible to produce compelling shows within a shorter timeframe than Raw, and in addition they’ve been able to successfully rotate talent AND still manage to get all their marketing/promotional/wanky corporate VTs into the broadcasts. 

The length for me isn’t so much an issue with AEW - but what I’m keen to see is how they push the boat in terms of format. There was a superb thread here a few months back about changing up the modern day WWE programming format and it would be interesting to see if any similar ideas came to fruition here. I don’t think you necessarily need to bin off commentary altogether but there’s no harm in trying different things. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

14 hours ago, Tamura said:

I can just imagine a two hour live show where the wrestlers are free to improvise and not bother with things like scripts, the producer will probably drop dead of a heart attack during the show. How are you planning to schedule ad breaks when there's zero to little script and people are busy improvising? And you expect excellent production values while that's happening? You do realise that for lots of important shots the cameramen don't just happen to be in that position by accident, that they know ahead of time they know what's going to happen? Even if you aren't broadcasting live, what you're suggesting is still going to be a nightmare to tape. 

Thats a bit extreme.I didn't literally mean get rid of the booking and the agents......I think it's pretty well known that the wrestlers had much more control over creativity in their promos and input into their character in WWE in the past and I think the loss of that has taken something away to the detriment of the product. AEW needs to offer something different and one way I believe they can do that is by giving the talent more input and control in getting both them and their angles over. Let the wrestlers cut a promo from the heart instead of a writer.

16 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Thats a bit extreme.I didn't literally mean get rid of the booking and the agents......I think it's pretty well known that the wrestlers had much more control over creativity in their promos and input into their character in WWE in the past and I think the loss of that has taken something away to the detriment of the product. AEW needs to offer something different and one way I believe they can do that is by giving the talent more input and control in getting both them and their angles over. Let the wrestlers cut a promo from the heart instead of a writer.

Just a coincidence, but after writing that I stumbled across this tweet from JR:

• Paid Members
On 1/5/2019 at 10:53 AM, Louch said:

I was just curious, not bothered. Just seems to be the new Impact on here for some of there being a desire for it to die off

For all the piss and vinegar that's thrown at WWE, a large section of the general fanbase does seem to suffer from some kind of Stockholm syndrome and act like they're being forced to watch the product every week. I haven't watched WWE regularly for years, but the sheer amount of negativity suggests that many others shouldn't be bothering either if they don't get anything out of it. 

Yet, there's also an element of the wrestling fanbase that seem to want other companies to fail if its felt they're getting remotely close to having an effect on the WWE's monopoly-like dominance. I don't understand it personally. The WWE is hardly 'a little engine that could' that need such minions.