All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

The big selling point to me is the whole anti wwe internet rebellion fans that will follow this to feel part of something. That's a small audience though and one that can soon disappear once they start bringing in wwe rejects and midcarders. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Yakashi said:

The big selling point to me is the whole anti wwe internet rebellion fans that will follow this to feel part of something.

Wish I'd bought Lynx shares.

54 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

RoH has been coasting for quite some time now and I think fans feel like they peaked in terms of popularity years ago. AEW is a fresh, new brand that has potential to do well right from the start with relatively big-name stars signed on right from the start. Now I'm not saying that they'll fare any better than RoH in the long run, I just think that's how most fans are feeling at the moment. 

I think the difference will be the money invested - in production, marketing, contracts...They will sink more into this than ROH ever did.

• Paid Members

For me, it comes down to one thing  - the roster they can assemble. If they can put together a true 'best of the indies' (by which I mean non-WWE) crew then I'm interested.

If they are restricted to a roster of people who aren't already attached to WWE, TNA, RoH, MLW, NJPW etc then I'm not so sure.

Actually, there's a second thing - not having Jim Ross on commentary.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Statto said:

For me, it comes down to one thing  - the roster they can assemble. If they can put together a true 'best of the indies' (by which I mean non-WWE) crew then I'm interested.

Then how is it different from any other indie?

13 minutes ago, Statto said:

If they are restricted to a roster of people who aren't already attached to WWE, TNA, RoH, MLW, NJPW etc then I'm not so sure.

Actually, there's a second thing - not having Jim Ross on commentary.

For me its less about the history of the roster and more about the product itself. I remember a great interview with Paul Heyman discussing ECW, when he talked about realising what he couldn't compete against WWF and WCW on, so focussed on the things they could do better. AEW absolutely must not try to be WWE light or it will fail - this is where TNA went wrong post 2010. They must create their own identity, their own style of product and target market. I hope it's less scripted and more improv, gives talent much more freedom in the ring, less child orientated and with much more focus on the quality of the in-ring product over all else. At the same time, offering excellent production values that don't make them look like an indie fed and with a marketing budget designed to create a huge and maximise exposure. I'd quite like JR on commentary.  

6 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

For me its less about the history of the roster and more about the product itself. I remember a great interview with Paul Heyman discussing ECW, when he talked about realising what he couldn't compete against WWF and WCW on, so focussed on the things they could do better. AEW absolutely must not try to be WWE light or it will fail - this is where TNA went wrong post 2010. They must create their own identity, their own style of product and target market. I hope it's less scripted and more improv, gives talent much more freedom in the ring, less child orientated and with much more focus on the quality of the in-ring product over all else. At the same time, offering excellent production values that don't make them look like an indie fed and with a marketing budget designed to create a huge and maximise exposure. I'd quite like JR on commentary.  

Nothing screams WWE lite or just WWE rejects than the 1st voice you hear being JRs

He is well past his prime and has been for over a decade now, he comes across as half bored when I've seen him recently and constantly makes mistakes and doesn't seem as up to scratch on the current scene as you'd want.

Hiring JR would be the 1st bad move in my book, well hiring him for an on screen role anyway will be

By all means bring him in as an advisor behind the scenes as his contacts might prove useful but keep him off the TV

• Paid Members

Whatever their roster, I pray that their shows are kept to three hours or less. All In would've been far more enjoyable if they cut all the fat. I hate the, "more is more," pattern that everyone goes for now. Even the most enjoyable shows end up becoming a chore to sit through. 

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

I think the difference will be the money invested - in production, marketing, contracts...They will sink more into this than ROH ever did.

How much was sank into TNA?  I honestly can't see successful businessmen being money marks.  They are successful because they are businessmen first and aren't going to be charmed by the latest snake oil salesman.  However, because they are successful businessmen, much like Sinclair, they know not to throw good money after bad and will limit expenditure and hold the purse strings.  Something Dixie didn't do while chasing rainbows.

39 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Completely disagree. Putting the in ring before every thing  else will only appeal to a small number if wrestling fans that will already be watching anyway. Wrestling companies need more than just in ring wrestling to be successful on TV. The rivalries, characters and storylines are far more important. 

Edited by Yakashi

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

How much was sank into TNA?  I honestly can't see successful businessmen being money marks.  They are successful because they are businessmen first and aren't going to be charmed by the latest snake oil salesman.  However, because they are successful businessmen, much like Sinclair, they know not to throw good money after bad and will limit expenditure and hold the purse strings.  Something Dixie didn't do while chasing rainbows.

Tony khan is a lifelong fan and an observer subscriber that writes letters in about house shows. Hes a successful businessman but he's also a fan. There's no way he would be in this if he wasn't. Too many people have failed already. I think he will sink more money in than a normal businessman would because he will be emotionally invested as well. 

That could be both good and bad depending on how they do of course. Could be the thing that makes them a success or could be an embarrassing failure for the family. 

6 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Tony khan is a lifelong fan and an observer subscriber that writes letters in about house shows. Hes a successful businessman but he's also a fan. There's no way he would be in this if he wasn't. Too many people have failed already. I think he will sink more money in than a normal businessman would because he will be emotionally invested as well. 

That could be both good and bad depending on how they do of course. Could be the thing that makes them a success or could be an embarrassing failure for the family. 

But it's Daddy Khan who is the boss, the billionaire, the self made man and handed his son the jobs.  Tony Khan isn't really that much a successful businessman, everything he has is because it was handed to him.  I said earlier how this will be a plaything for his son and even chump change to them is still big sums of money, but the way people are throwing around "Billionaire" are acting like it's an open chequebook.  This isn't going to be a Dixie Carter scenario, and Sinclair have an emotional attachment to television and are a successful business.

However, a moustache like Daddy Khan's need to be in front of the cameras as often as possible.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

The big selling point to me is the whole anti wwe internet rebellion fans that will follow this to feel part of something.

Don't they already follow ROH for this? And PWG?