All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

Problem is there's only a finite amount of talent in the industry. Especially ones that fans would follow to another company. Gone are the days of blind loyalty to one promotion over another. It's so easy to pick and choose what you watch now and so much crossover in talent outside of WWE. What can a new company really offer that others don't right now? I'm not sure.

Personally the most I've enjoyed anything outside of WWE in years was Lucha Underground because they did really try to be different.

21 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The intentions are good, but what TV network is going to put them on? You can have all the money in the world, but it means fuck all if there's nowhere to screen it for some significant money. Wrestling is a money pit without TV. TNA lost something, like, $30 million before they got on Fox Sports Net. I get you cant compare anyone to TNA's madness, but there was a sense a TV deal would come along if they waited long enough. Where's this one coming from?

Good if it happens, but if they think there's going to be blokes dressed up as cocks and women getting kicked in the face all that shite going on, then there's no way that'd fly on TV. If that's what they're selling, no network is buying that.

Exactly this. Needs to be a big network or cable channel to have any chance. None of this AXS shite. 

Da Meltz did crack me up when he said all those involved with this already know more about running a wrestling company than Dixie Carter, though. 

I just can't see room for a 2nd mainstream promotion in America, there just isn't the fan base for it anymore

To almost all those outside the wrestling bubble WWE is wrestling and that's that, no matter how much money is thrown at an upstart you can't buy WWEs near 40 year history of being WRESTLING to all the casual audience.

Yes WCW did muscle its way in and for a time was the top company but that was over 20 years ago and times have changed a heck of a lot since then and I can't see anyway a new company regardless of its backing can challenge WWE for any sort of longterm mainstream success

Sure the fans of the Indys will lap it up but no matter how much better the product actually is it still won't put a dent in thw WWE is Wrestling mindset to anyone outside of the hardcore fandom who allready watch alternative to WWE anyway and look how little relative success those companies have had in breaking into the Mainstream media.

Sure money will help with advertising etc but unless your getting The Rock to wrestle it's just names on a bit paper to most.

In a Ironic twist WWEs lack of star making over the last decade or so is actually playing a role in keeping them as the sole company of note

Who could any new start up company or any company for that matter get in who is going to generate any buzz?

There is No ONE, sure for us it would be shocking to see say a Seth Rollins defect but who outside of people like us is actually going to care? 

I think too long has passed now and the world is such a different place to 25 years ago when WCW challenged for any company to ever seriously challenge WWE as the no1 Pro Wrestling company.

No many can buy the Brand Loyalty that WWE has built up.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

Yes WCW did muscle its way in and for a time was the top company but that was over 20 years ago and times have changed a heck of a lot since then and I can't see anyway a new company regardless of its backing can challenge WWE for any sort of longterm mainstream success

WCW shouldn't even come into this conversation. They had a huge fanbase already established based on being the nationwide face of the NWA which was THE player up until barely more than ten years before the Monday Night War kicked off, and they had Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan. They were recovering from some awful years (as were the WWF) but the challenge they had making it into a two-horse race was nothing compared to what a startup faces trying to go big budget and get a piece of that pie today. Look how much time taken and money lost by TNA for over ten years to be considered number two by a country mile and widely regarded as Poundland WWE at best, a joke at worst for more than half of its lifespan. JCP/WCW was "the other place to work" for wrestlers to earn a living wage for years while the WWF was positioned as number one and before the competition started in earnest, it would take decades for a startup to get to the same position WCW was in 1995, if looked after by savvy people both with the book (rasslin angles) and the books (accounts) and a myriad of other things going their way by shrewd decisions, talent acquisitions and an arseload of luck.

I wish them all the best in this. It'll be hard no doubt, but a vibrant number 2 would be good all round. Guys like the Young Bucks do deserve a lot of credit for being incredibly ambitious and relentless in the way they have carved out a niche for themselves despite no real mainstream exposure. They will need all that relentless energy and more to establish this as a player.

• Paid Members

They've trademarked "All Out"? I hope somebody gets a cricket gimmick.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I think one of the things that’s difficult is that the WWE’s strategy of divesting their core product from a range of satellite brands means that the slither of space that exists for a WWE competitor is, paradoxically, taken up in a large part by WWE-owned brands.

Is someone going to be able to come in and routinely draw better live attendances or merch sales than NXT, and use that to build a base to then grow beyond even that? Probably not.

And that NXT model is starting to spread globally, and slowly will envelope local scenes and eventually use them as feeder leagues to their WWE regional overlords.

They’re going to end up in a position where the core product is a Champions League-style premium product, with global brands feeding the beast.

It might be that with enough money there is a position free to challenge the WWE at the very top level in the short term (celebrity endorsements, stunt marketing will get you pretty far), but jumping there from a standing start is not sustainable. You can’t just jump to #2 status without building your brand, your business and consumer loyalty, as that’s what fortifies you against any external headwinds.

And the path to actually doing that has been effectively blocked, in large part by WWE themselves.

It’s genius, really.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Aside from the obvious difficulty that everyone is aware of, I think this is artistically different at the moment. There is still a lot of talent out there not under the WWE umbrella somewhere but it seems to be the same guys who are all over every non-WWE product that has any decent coverage.Aside from the horror of your Young Bucks', Joey Ryan's, Kenny Omega's, etc running around pretending to be pro-wrestlers, you get the Fenix's and Cody Rhodes' of the world, who while good, are just everywhere.

I can't be arsed to keep up to speed with Lucha Underground but I do really like what they do. That's difficult to pull off though and they're already doing it so that niche is taken. I'm not sure aht else there is. In an ideal world, I'd love a promotion with an old school southern feel. One hour of TV a week and quarterly big time shows. I don't see this being that though. I don't see it being anything other than a slightly better TNA or a poor man's WWe with a load o nudge, nudge, wink, wink bollocks.

I genuinely hope it's a success. Something needs to be.

• Paid Members

Without a laptop to hand to check on TEW and see who even could be a draw for an American promotion off the top of my head you're looking at the likes of James Storm, Bucks, Omega, Cody, Jericho being the biggest name draws for this.

It could really affect New Japan though Gaijin wise. If I was American and offered a shedload of cash to 'come back home' with NJPW and ROH contracts up yearly I'd jump at the chance. Jeff Cobb, Trent, Chucky T, even the English guys like Ospreay and ZSJ could get away with having less of a schedule for more security. Hell even some Impact guys like Brian Cage or Pentagon could make a huge splash.

Japan boomed off the closure of WCW to a degree saturating the American market over time meaning people went abroad. The UK won't be affected by this at all, it may even help push our scene that little bit more if there's less access to imports.

Part of me just wants Khan to thtow money at Batista until he agrees to be on the product. Between that and a big WWE steal they could build enough hype straight away for the brand.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Japan boomed off the closure of WCW to a degree saturating the American market over time meaning people went abroad.

Not sure what you're going for here but there's no real correlation. New Japan was sinking fast until they moved Tanahashi into the main event in 2006 and gates started recovering. WCW closing/American eyes on the product had naff all to do with it.

• Paid Members

Probably worded very wrong so apologies.

My main thing was the idea that having no big American competition meant people like Brock went there after burning bridges with h WWE originally, Bob Sapp and then through to Angle, AJ, Cody, Omega etc now. Without a big second company tying people down (TNA always looked to talent share) a lot more Gaijins went East to work. If a company owned by somebody with the wealth of Khan opens and wants to ensure everything is in order, even people like Juice Robinson with American and elsewhere exposure suddenly become useful in starting to build a brand. And if Japan loses a lot of its talent its going to require building more stars which outside of the Naitos and Okadas (who both themselves could be seen as commodities for Khan building a global brand) doesn't happen as much as it should.

Yeah I'm rambling nonsense. Apologies.

Edit: @Accident Prone I bloody love James Storm. No shame.

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

And if Japan loses a lot of its talent its going to require building more stars which outside of the Naitos and Okadas (who both themselves could be seen as commodities for Khan building a global brand)

This is getting daft now. Let's see them host a show before we speculate they could sign Okada.