All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

If I have one major hope for AEW it's that they stay as far away as possible from having an on screen authority figure! Will Khan be able to resists playing his on version of McMahon? We can only hope so!

Edited by Brudaker

• Awards Moderator
43 minutes ago, Factotum said:

What if Goldberg worked as a sort of GM type figure? or Enforcer? As long as Bill doesn't wrestle (maybe a build up to something further down the line...way...way down the line) then having him as part of the brand wouldn't be a bad thing.

Whether it's Goldberg or anyone else, if this new thing, whatever it ends up being, has any kind of "GM type figure" it's gone wrong. AEW more than anything else has to not fit in a WWE mould. The second you've got an onscreen authority character you're WWE-lite.

• Paid Members

Use Goldberg like ECW used 911 (Or at least how I remember them using him). Just have him come out and squash someone as a way to end a gimmick or angle. Down the line have someone destroy him to have a wrecker gimmick like they did with Taz. Its been long enough to be able to redo it.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Omega/Goldberg would be dreadful. Omega's stock-in-trade is 20 minute+ "epics", Goldberg's first match back had to be cut short to a sub-1 minute squash because he's over 50 and got hurt training, and it was still arguably the best match he's ever had. 

That's precisely why I think Omega could have a fun match with him. He's talked for a while about seeing wrestling differently, he loves schlocky stuff (his crappy Wrestle Kingdom entrance, the "There's no escape" thing, the nickname "the cleaner"), he works in own sports entertainment stuff and what could be more video game beat 'em up like than a match with Goldberg? He seems to love putting matches together too and Goldberg is a wonderful character, both for his limitations and his strengths to build a match around. Plus we've seen him have his matches with Okada, a Goldberg match would be a great opportunity for him to show something more. 

Plus to me wrestling is often it's most interesting when styles collide. And the fact that Goldberg had a great match, short as it was (and the brevity helped make it great), with Lesnar. How many of those does Lesnar tend to have nowadays? A lot of that, to me, was how unique Goldberg is now. A card full of the homogenized back and forth matches having Omega vs Goldberg as it's main or semi main is a lot more interesting than a card of the same shit without it. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Louch said:

omega wrestled a child. He could get something fun from Goldberg....can’t see Goldbergs ego letting omega win tho 

The only reason Goldberg at this point would consider going to do ANY work whatsoever for a startup fed would be if the money was right, and if the money was right, he'd do what he's fucking told.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Kenny Omega is the last person I would turn to if I wanted something other than homogenised back and forth matches.

But that's what's expected of him in NJPW. Wrestling Goldberg in whatever this promotion is an entirely different thing. 

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

The only reason Goldberg at this point would consider going to do ANY work whatsoever for a startup fed would be if the money was right, and if the money was right, he'd do what he's fucking told.

If Goldberg wants a payday, WWE will always have him back, and they'll outbid any other promotion in the world.  Goldberg is a non-starter, just as he always was for TNA.

Much as I loathe him, CM Punk would be a much better "big name" for AEW.  Rabid fanbase, iconic 00s wrestler, fits in with their other wrestlers, WWE don't want him.  Why not have a "shoot" tournament that he can come in and win with his UFC skills, ala Brawl For All?  Stoke his ego and he'll sign up I reckon.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

IWWE don't want him.  

I don't know, if WWE thought they could bring him back without breaking the bank, I suspect they would. With Reigns out for the foreseeable they could use the star power.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I don't know, if WWE thought they could bring him back without breaking the bank, I suspect they would. With Reigns out for the foreseeable they could use the star power.

EDIT - ignore, you meant Punk, not Goldberg.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I don't know if he's worth the trouble to them. If they go to him with an offer that isn't acceptable, they know it'll be all over the place within minutes that he's turned them down because that's the game he plays. If he went to them, I think it'd be a different story.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

If he went to them, I think it'd be a different story.

And to play devil's advocate, I don't think his ego would let him. I'd say he's out of "the family" until the Hall Of Fame comes knocking, one day.

I don't know if he's worth the trouble to them.

Vince would have him back in a heartbeat. Vince has proven time and time again he gives no shits what you did (unless you're Randy Savage) if you can help business.

Saying that, I don't think Punk would go back to WWE. The AEW thing would be much more of an interest to him I imagine.