All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Brudaker said:

And lord knows no one can go on to do good things after having a crap gimmick. Just ask all these guys:

Leviathan 
The Prototype
Jean-Paul Levesque
Oz
Isaac Yankem
The Ring Master

They all had success in WWE after those gimmicks though, not the latest fly by night.  Building it around Cody Rhodes is like building a football team around Paul Telfer, or a soap around one of the legion who played Ben Mitchell.  Perfectly good and a steady hand, but come on, WWE is where it's at and that's how you'll be known if you're known at all.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Brudaker said:

And lord knows no one can go on to do good things after having a crap gimmick. Just ask all these guys:

Leviathan 
The Prototype
Jean-Paul Levesque
Oz
Isaac Yankem
The Ring Master

Doesn't work. Half those guys were waiting for the right gimmick, half of them were always talented enough to become stars once they were allowed to be themselves. Cody had about six goes at being presented by the machine (as opposed to WCW or OVW) including wacky gimmicks like the moustache, Dashing, and the paper bags AND being himself. Stardust was another "lets try this and see if he's a star" but by that point, it's the last roll.

If they don’t get Omega, it’ll be David Moyes United with Cody as Fellaini 🙃

I still don’t see it being aimed to be wwe, or wwe competition. The tagline has been for ages how it’s time to “change the world”. I still expect it to be closer to being the elite than Raw. Lots of skits and angles with shows recorded just to show off talents moves like old 80s wrestling shows, as that’s the mix of Cody and the Bucks visions of wrestling. With the build to the arena shows around the US and then the world where you get the proper matches. Hopefully the proper questions get asked at the event Tuesday than it just being fluff and arse kissing

I totally take the point about those guys succeeding in WWE where Cody didn't and obviously Cody isn't at that level but he has proven that he does have a fan base, more importantly one willing to put money into what he's doing. Not even just as part of the Elite..

Looking back at All in his match with Aldis was the big story hook for the show, and Christ knows that wasn't because of the National Treasure. Also, where that match ended up in the card might be an indication that Cody isn't the main focus of the actual show. Which would make sense if he has other responsibilities as Executive Producer.

He's come a long way since Stardust is all I'm saying.

I think it's more likely we see Jericho and Omega as the main event to kick it off. 

Edited by Brudaker

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, air_raid said:

Doesn't work. Half those guys were waiting for the right gimmick, half of them were always talented enough to become stars once they were allowed to be themselves. Cody had about six goes at being presented by the machine (as opposed to WCW or OVW) including wacky gimmicks like the moustache, Dashing, and the paper bags AND being himself. Stardust was another "lets try this and see if he's a star" but by that point, it's the last roll.

Agreed - Cody had loads of chances to get to the next level in WWE. In a time when half the roster got left off WrestleMania, he was getting featured matches against big names like Orton, Mysterio and (yes) Big Show. Not to mention a feud against D-X where he didn't just get squashed and put in a box back to OVW. Eyes were on him but for whatever reason he just didn't quite get there. On the other hand, he has got an extra aura around him now that he didn't have then - how much of that is just internet hype is arguable but he feels like more of a big deal than any time since probably Legacy.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

They need Omega for this. He is THE star.

His NJPW contract goes to the end of January I believe. It'll be interesting to see what he does. Smart money is on him going to AEW, but you have to think this is has last chance to go to WWE given his age and style. You would think WWE will come in big for him as well, given the new start up. All in all Kenny Omega should be pretty happy with life at the moment.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Factotum said:

They need Omega for this. He is THE star.

His NJPW contract goes to the end of January I believe. It'll be interesting to see what he does. Smart money is on him going to AEW, but you have to think this is has last chance to go to WWE given his age and style. You would think WWE will come in big for him as well, given the new start up. All in all Kenny Omega should be pretty happy with life at the moment.

I don't think AEW's survival is totally dependant on them signing Omega. Obviously it would be a huge advantage for them but the buzz presently is about the promotion in general rather than focussing too much on any individuals. Ultimately what's going to make or break them initially is how much Kahn is willing to invest in his new pet project. They obviously need big names to get off to a good start and you'd think he'd be more inclined to work with alongside them, but Omega alone won't make or break things for AEW in it's embryonic stages if he chose WWE instead. 

If everyone is on 7 figures this is gonna be a very expensive venture from get go. There’s almost no room to build slowly, it’s going to need decent tv deal straight away. 

And they will need actual marquee names.  Speculation for people like Goldberg has started for obvious reasons. 

• Paid Members

They're after Jericho and Goldberg, which are the obvious pair. You'd probably be looking at someone like Jeff Hardy when his deal expires, too. Looking at AJ Styles age, will he be willing to leave WWE for a lighter schedule and a high downside guarantee? People used to rag of TNA for years, but signing the likes of Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, RVD etc. was what was needed. These TV executives love big names. You're much more inclined to score a big TV deal with names than if you aren't.

20 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

They're after Jericho and Goldberg, which are the obvious pair. You'd probably be looking at someone like Jeff Hardy when his deal expires, too. Looking at AJ Styles age, will he be willing to leave WWE for a lighter schedule and a high downside guarantee? People used to rag of TNA for years, but signing the likes of Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, RVD etc. was what was needed. These TV executives love big names. You're much more inclined to score a big TV deal with names than if you aren't.

Completely agree but you have to laugh at them wanting Jericho & Goldberg, it's like TNA 2005/06 all over again, don't think there was a week that went by that they weren't linked with those two.

I don't think AEW's survival is totally dependant on them signing Omega.

Not totally dependent no, but if they're going to launch big they need the focal point. Omega is that guy. He's also not tarred by ex-WWE stench or anything like that. Obviously it wont destroy them if he didn't sign, but I think he's a very important cog in the machine.

Jericho would be a shrewd signing. Star name and is willing to work and get guys over.

12 hours ago, Brudaker said:

I totally take the point about those guys succeeding in WWE where Cody didn't and obviously Cody isn't at that level but he has proven that he does have a fan base, more importantly one willing to put money into what he's doing. Not even just as part of the Elite..

Looking back at All in his match with Aldis was the big story hook for the show, and Christ knows that wasn't because of the National Treasure. Also, where that match ended up in the card might be an indication that Cody isn't the main focus of the actual show. Which would make sense if he has other responsibilities as Executive Producer.

He's come a long way since Stardust is all I'm saying.

I think it's more likely we see Jericho and Omega as the main event to kick it off. 

I wonder if his real strengths will lie not with his stuff in the ring but in the Executive Producer role?  His time in WWE didn't give him the creative freedom he has with this, and the build up to All In has been lauded as sensational.  Now that he has the opportunity to really use his producing and creative brain without the constraints of WWE, but coupled with his experience of how to lay out matches, angles, promos and whatnot, this could be the role in which he will really shine instead of actual in front of the cameras.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Completely agree but you have to laugh at them wanting Jericho & Goldberg, it's like TNA 2005/06 all over again, don't think there was a week that went by that they weren't linked with those two.

In TNA's case, they were probably the two biggest stars, outside of Rock and Austin, who were available and never worked for TNA. Now, I think they're just the two biggest stars available who can still move.

• Paid Members

Brock Lesnar must be licking his lips at this. Even if he definitely won't go, that's now three companies he can probably legit play off of for that paper.

Dana White said at the weekend that he doesn't know what the score is with Lesnar, just Vince keeps chucking more big money at him to keep him around. Dana said, pretty much, the UFC door will always be open when he's ready.

Anyway, my point is this is fantastic for talent. Has Daniel Bryan resigned?

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I wonder if his real strengths will lie not with his stuff in the ring but in the Executive Producer role?  His time in WWE didn't give him the creative freedom he has with this, and the build up to All In has been lauded as sensational.  Now that he has the opportunity to really use his producing and creative brain without the constraints of WWE, but coupled with his experience of how to lay out matches, angles, promos and whatnot, this could be the role in which he will really shine instead of actual in front of the cameras.

Was the build up to All-in Cody? Because the NWA have done some sensational stuff that has nothing to do with him. They made Tim Storm look like the amalgamation of Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan in their videos.