All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Realistically, what's the best we can hope for them, in the short-term?

There's talk of them having TV deals, but Impact, ROH, Lucha Underground, and MLW all have TV deals, to say nothing of the various limited syndicated deals for smaller companies. "TV deal" on its own doesn't mean much unless it's on similar enough terms to WWE's deals to give them cause for concern - and is there anything to suggest that?

• Paid Members

If the Bucks' booking is anything like their wrestling, this'll be a Wrestling Society X-style car crash. Doesn't fill me with anticipation, to be honest. I agree with BomberPat's sentiment that we don't need any more spot-style promotions.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Realistically, what's the best we can hope for them, in the short-term?

There's talk of them having TV deals, but Impact, ROH, Lucha Underground, and MLW all have TV deals, to say nothing of the various limited syndicated deals for smaller companies. "TV deal" on its own doesn't mean much unless it's on similar enough terms to WWE's deals to give them cause for concern - and is there anything to suggest that?

Its the type of TV deal that matters. Specifically - 2 hours live in primetime on a major US Cable network, that will support your product through effective advertising, opportunities for cross promotion and so forth.......

As for what we can hope for short term, well, we need to know more first. Is this a slow burn? When do they intend to get on TV? Will Tony Kahn throw millions at it to get a 'big bang' start? Will they have a streaming service model? Let's hear more about the business model and the strategy.

But I have a feeling this will be a complete game changer.... Tony Kahn has the money to really make AEW legitimate competition and I can't imagine a billionaire getting into this to just create another indy or "super indy" company. This is all about creating a legit WWE alternative on the Western stage.

Ā 

Edited by MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Its the type of TV deal that matters. Specifically - 2 hours live in primetime on a major US Cable network, that will support your product through effective advertising, opportunities for cross promotion and so forth.......

As for what we can hope for short term, well, we need to know more first. Is this a slow burn? When do they intend to get on TV? Will Tony Kahn throw millions at it to get a 'big bang' start? Will they have a streaming service model? Let's hear more about the business model and the strategy.

But I have a feeling this will be a complete game changer....

Dunno.

Dunno.

Dunno.

Dunno.

It will be amazing.

That's some blind faith.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Dunno.

Dunno.

Dunno.

Dunno.

It will be amazing.

That's some blind faith.

Positivity trumps cynicism. The industry needs something like this to spark it to life and competition is great for all concerned - talent, fans and even WWE.

• Paid Members
Just now, MPDTT said:

Positivity trumps cynicism. The industry needs something like this to spark it to life and competition is great for all concerned - talent, fans and even WWE.

It's not cynicism. It's realism. We don't know anything yet.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's not cynicism. It's realism. We don't know anything yet.

Well, we canĀ reasonably believe the following (for now I'm treating what Dave Melzer says as "reasonable belief"):

- They have a billionaire financing it, who wouldn't likely get involved to create another indy promotion (not ambitious enough)

- TV offers on the table (according to Meltzer). Now if thats true, there must be a strong business case / strategy thats been presented

- They are actively signing talent to multi year deals - which means serious money already committed by the Kahn's.

Ā 

It all seems rather bullish! (Using a trading term)

Ā 

Edited by MPDTT

• Paid Members

In theory IĀ agree with the idea that, if nothing else, this should scare WWE enough to get their act together and stop being so lazy. But then, I'm not sure they even have it in them anymore to increase creativity.Ā This is a company who thought, "shaking things up," meant just putting the McMahon Family on television more.Ā 

What next? They bring Linda back?Ā 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

It's only a matter of time before Shane's oldest gets a run, isn't it? Already looks the spit of Vince. Maybe he can pin Chad Gable clean.

Poor Goldust though. Not since AJ Lee was still there when CM Punk left has there been such an awkward employment situation.

Edited by Supremo

Just now, Supremo said:

It's only a matter of time before Shane's oldest gets a run, isn't it? Already looks the spit of Vince. Maybe he can pin Chad Gable clean.

Poor Goldust though. Not since AJ Lee was still employed when CM Punk left has there been such an awkward employment situation.

Will Dustin Rhodes still get his Hall of Fame spot? Or will Vince be his typical punative self?

24 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

If the Bucks' booking is anything like their wrestling, this'll be a Wrestling Society X-style car crash.

I often thought this at times but to be honest I don't think that's fair any longer. The Bucks' overuse of superkicks has almost become a parody of itself - they do it because their characters are cocky dicks who want to be flash and show off. I don't think they're as amazing as, say, their mate Meltzer does, but I do have a newfound respect for their abilities.

Whether that translates to their capabilities as bookers, however, is of course a wholly different question. All I know is I'd rather another Wrestling Society X right now than another RAW.

7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

In theory IĀ agree with the idea that, if nothing else, this should scare WWE enough to get their act together and stop being so lazy. But then, I'm not sure they even have it in them anymore to increase creativity.Ā This is a company who thought, "shaking things up," meant just putting the McMahon Family on television more.Ā 

What next? They bring Linda back?Ā 

True Supremo,

But......would you have said WWF had it in them to adapt and change when they were presenting Max Moon Vs Doink the clown from the Manhatten Center on a Monday night on tape delay during their 1 hour broadcast? And would Vince really have changed if it wasn't for what Ted Turner and Eric Bischoff started to do what they did on TNT?