The UKFF's Favourite Christmas Telly Special - Final Result On Page 6!

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Got to echo the love for the Bottom special, but I'd like to add the first Royle Family one where Denise gives birth. It had a brilliant mix of comedy and pure, heart felt emotion...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Only Fools and Horses Christmas special of 1996 where they become millionairs. End of an era. I know it carried on after and it was shit then, but that episode was brilliant, think it was a 3 parter in all and had people crying with tears of sadness and joy. 

(I realise it’s not popular on here as people prefere rik mayall getting hit on the head with a frying pan whilst wearing y-fronts, but you cant deny OFAH touched millions of peoples lives in ways other comedys never could).

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I assume it's Sinderella. It'll be on Yotube. It's fucking shocking. My dad loved it tjough when he got it from Clwyd Video.

Yeah, it is. I was just trying to leave an opening for Astro to post a link to his as-always hilarious review of it.

https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/i-watched-jim-davidsons-adult-panto/

piss.jpg.0467c5873b5775094820a0fa7bf60ea6.jpg

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

What about straight-to-video stuff like, say, Jim Davidson's adult panto?

12 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Yes! Go for it! That brings back great memories of watching it with my Granddad.

What a wonderful fish, are soles!

32 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, it is. I was just trying to leave an opening for Astro to post a link to his as-always hilarious review of it.

https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/i-watched-jim-davidsons-adult-panto/

Fucking hell. 

Whilst I do have fond memories of watching this with my granddad as an eight year old, I retract my sentiment of warm nostalgia with the material. Jesus Christ, that's mental.

• Paid Members

After reading that Astro review, I considered buying Jim Davidson's 1985 album as a gag Christmas present for my brother, only to find that it was £26 on Amazon, and fuck that. 

I messaged him to let him know, to still get a semblance of the joke across, and referred to it as "Jim Davidson's 1985 pop album on vinyl".

Pop album on vinyl. That was a thing I just said. Pop album on vinyl. Just one of those phrases that ordinary people in 2018 use all the time, right? The kids love to hear an LP of all their favourites from the hit parade!

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Very Murray Christmas on Netflix is pretty good.

My main memory of watching that a couple of years ago was that it reminded me that Miley Cyrus has a really good voice.

She's not been making headlines as much these last few years, but this was from that period where every week there was a new story along the lines of her being video'd taking drugs at parties or wearing stupid stuff on stage dancing with that bloke who sang blurred lines, etc.

So I had completely forgotten she was actually quite talented. She sang a couple of songs here and sounded fantastic.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, dopper said:

My main memory of watching that a couple of years ago was that it reminded me that Miley Cyrus has a really good voice.

She's not been making headlines as much these last few years, but this was from that period where every week there was a new story along the lines of her being video'd taking drugs at parties or wearing stupid stuff on stage dancing with that bloke who sang blurred lines, etc.

So I had completely forgotten she was actually quite talented. She sang a couple of songs here and sounded fantastic.

There's a thing she did called the Garden sessions or somesuch where she does a belting version of Jolene. She does a decent cover of Elkie Brooks's Lilac Wine as well;

• Paid Members
On 11/22/2018 at 8:41 PM, Accident Prone said:

Also, it's a lazy trope but if you just throw together a Christmas Carol episode, you can virtually guarantee that I'll watch it. It's a simple structure that allows for a lot of creativity to shine.

This is my fave,

The Flintones teach you the meaning of Christmas thousands of years before the birth of Christ.

250px-A_Flintstones_Christmas_Carol.jpg

Michael Boltons Big Sexy Valentine's special is a Christmas special in everything but name, it's got Santa, the plot revolves around saving Christmas and its bloody brilliant, it'll get a festive airing at the Wiseau household. 

Every year I have to watch at least three Ghost Stories For Christmas (Gatiss is doing one this year but I've not seen confirmation it'll be officially "Ghost Story For Christmas")    

I imagine I'll be alone in this house watching Happy Holidays with Frank & Bing but it's a must watch for me.wa

And obviously Bottom, The League of Gentlemen Christmas special, Chas & Dave (obvs) Blackadder, Ted, Knowing Me, Knowing Yule, the Devil of Christmas Inside Number 9....

Oh and all 6 episodes of Box of Delights .... I'd better sort out a viewing schedule and soon

• Paid Members

I've been seeking out a ton of Christmas Specials for a playlist that I'm making, and seemingly every single cartoon in the 90's had one. It must've been compulsory in the creators contract with the TV station to produce holiday specials, no matter what the shows content. Everything from Samurai Pizza Cats to X-Men has one, it's madness.

• Paid Members

Might be the only fan of the show here but I bloody loved the Quantum Leap where Sam pulled off A Christmas Carol on the bloke planning Trump Blake Plaza. Al reminding Dr Beckett that back in 1999 (ouch) its actually July but then relenting at the end and wishing him "Merry Christmas, Sam" while wearing his Hawaiian shirt.... ahhhhhh.

Archived