The UKFF's Favourite Christmas Telly Special - Final Result On Page 6!

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

What's in m bag of tricks? Why, it's only number 6!

Horray! Time to unviel who placed at 6th in the UKFF'S Fave Christmas Telly Special!

So, with a well-deserved 15 points, at 6th place it's...

🎄 South Park- Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo 🎄

MV5BNmFmNWRjODktNDVkNy00OWM5LWJkZWYtNzI4

"I haven't watched it in years but the song still brings a smile to my face. THE Christmas special of my adolescent teenage years. I still sing 'Happy happy happy, everybody's happy...' on occasion as well, which I'm reminded of when you have berks on Facebook complaining that Muslims are ruining Xmas by being offended by the nativity play and all that shite." - PunkStep

"Irreverant, infantile, and filled with faecophilia. He loves me, and I love you."  - bigfoote

My Two Turtle Doves - This holds a special place in my heart as it was the first South Park episode I ever saw. Kids at school would sneakily watch it behind their parent's backs on a Friday night, but I was put off at the amount of supposed blood and gore in the show. 

Yeah, I was a bit of a fanny in Year 4, fuck off.

Anyway, I was told that the Christmas episode was more about shit and fart jokes than any actual blood letting. So that was the one I got caught first, and I loved it so much that I went ahead and watched every other episode before and after. Since then, it's had repeated viewings just due to how good it is and became a Christmas telly regular. A classic. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Everybody.

Get up. Singing.

One. Two. Three. Four.

FIVE!!! Will make you get down now!

Oh yes, we're now at number 5 in the UKFF'S Fave Crimo Telly Coutdown!

So, without further ado, with 16 points and at 5th place, it's...

🎄 The Simpsons - Marge Not Be Proud 🎄

054.jpg?w=1300

My Two Turtle Doves - What's there to say about, in my opinion, the best Simpsons Christmas episode of all time? This has everything; heartbreak, forgiveness, humour and the rollercoaster of being part of a family. It's a tear jerking end and wonderful festive treat. Get on it.

How did I end up forgetting about Mr Hankey as the top South Park Christmas special?! I've listened to his album every Christmas morning for the best part of two decades and he's played a key role in the latest series too.

The Simpsons has, on the other hand, definitely produced a lot more great Christmas episodes but I stand by the view that the original remains the best one.

• Paid Members

Carvalho.jpg

FOUR!!!

Yessir, now we're cooking with gas! Number 4 in the UKFF's Christmas Telly Countdown! Let's get on with it then.

At joint-4th place, with 20 points a piece, we have;

🎄 Chas and Dave's Xmas Knees Up 🎄

640x360.jpg?1418722158

"The gold standard of Christmas viewing, despite the fact that Channel 5 have progressively lopped more and more of it off on a yearly basis, depriving us of Jim Davidson doing stand-up and whatever the fuck Jimmy Cricket was supposed to be. Rarely, for a Christmas special, it actually feels close to home. For me (Clive), it really does feel like when me and my mates spend a day some time around Christmas, camped out in a pub with a big fire. Clapton and the lads would only be on the jukebox in our case, but it's near enough. From about October onward, I'm eagerly awaiting my yearly viewing of this." - Gus Mears

"Chas and Dave is a given, and clearly the winner in any Christmas poll." - bigfoote

🎄 Blackadder's Christmas Carol 🎄

cb3ofiz3lqmumsyf0crt.jpg

"Not repeated nearly as often as you'd have thought, so I've only seen it a couple of times, but I did like it." - HarmonicGenerator 

"Rowan Atkinson at possibly his best" - bigfoote

My Two Turtle Doves - This is it. This is the pinnacle of Christmas Telly for me. The reason for the season. The classic formula of 'well-developed TV show + Christmas Carol = Success' is given a thorough examining here.

Memorable characters, call backs and in-jokes, a wonderful cast, a fantastically funny script and all wrapped up without overstaying it's welcome. It gets a fair few watches every December in my house, and it honestly gets better every time. Hell, it was worth it for when I accidentally showed my missus one of her Christmas presents a few weeks back, and I seized the opportunity to utter a "Damn… Damn… Damn…". I'll never reach those highs again.

Right, that's it for now. I'm doing the rounds this weekend so I'll be back on Monday to deliver the TOP 3 in a lovely bumper edition to finish off this festive thread. Cheers!

• Paid Members

This thread is awesome. I usually just watch whatever is on and Muppets Christmas Carol every year so it's been great focusing my Christmas TV. 

If any of you have kids around 8ish years old you will absolutely kill with the Mr Hankey The Christmas Poo music video on YouTube. Mine was in hysterics. I'd completely forgotten the song until this thread. I'd never show a kid South Park but the music video is PG type stuff.

I was visiting people yesterday and the Vicar of Dibley one was on. All through it I was thinking “What kind of person could possibly find this funny”. Then I remembered this thread. 

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Fucking ashamed. 

• Paid Members

It's only bloody Christmas Eve! Which means we have reached the conclusion of the inaugural Christmas Telly Countdown! The 12 Days Of Christmas Telly! The UKFF's Fave Christmas Telly Special! And whatever other name I gave this ridiculously festive award.

So get yourself a turkey & stuffing bap, grab the telly box, smash the TV Guide button and settle in for the shows that placed third, second and first!

In at third place, with 21 points, we have...

🎄 Bottom - Holy 🎄

Bottom-Christmas-special-e1518084612327.

"And I'm a virgin" - PunkStep (also, Rik Mayall in the episode)

"Tinged as it is now with Rik's passing, still holds up after so long. It has everything you want." - bigfoote

My Two Turtle Doves - This was my number one pick and it deserves all the plaudits. So much of this episode has entered my traditional Christmas celebrations that I feel like it IS tradition at this point. It's the kind of stuff that will get passed down to my kids and my kid's kids. Bellowing "Half past 8! And all's crap!" has become so common place now that I feel robbed of the moment if time slips me by and I miss the window (although I grab the evening slot with a passion). I just can't cobble together enough words to sing the praises of this episode.

In at second place, with 23 points, we have...

🎄 Knowing Me, Knowing Yule With Alan Partridge 🎄

95bfbcb4903320da98ffb5d9897caa01.jpg

"Utter chaos. Basically take the last 5 mins of the final episode of Knowing Me Knowing You, wrap it in tinsel and make it last longer. Coogan is brilliant in this and you really see the desperation in Partridge that we come to expect in I'm Alan Partridge." - PunkStep

"In which Alan blatantly begs for a second series of his chat show and ends up punching David Schneider's BBC commissioning editor in the face with a turkey. Twice. Bridges the sofa series and 'Im Alan Partridge' nicely." - Fog Dude

My Two Turtle Doves - A splendid special made better by the subsequent series. Everything torpedoes from the first second and it's manically good fun. "God is a gas" is probably the greatest theological theory every conceived.

So before we hit number one, here's a reminder of the spectacular run to the climatic final;

On the 12th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

The Royle Family- Christmas Special 1999
A Storybots Christmas 
Father Christmas (1991 animated short)
The Fabulous Baking Boys Christmas Special
Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia -  A Very Sunny Christmas
Morecambe and Wise Christmas Special

On the 11th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

Black Mirror- White Christmas
Horrible Histories - Horrible Christmas
SpongeBob Squarepants - It’s A Spongebob Christmas

On the 10th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

The Office Christmas Special Part 2 
The Simpsons - Miracle On Evergreen Terrace 

On the 9th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

Vicar of Dibley- The Christmas Lunch Incident

On the 8th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

Futurama - Xmas Story

On the 7th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

The Simpsons - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire

Mr. Bean - Merry Christmas, Mr Bean

On the 6th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

South Park- Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo

On the 5th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

FIIIIIVVEEEE GOOOOOLLLLDDDDD RIIIINNNGGSSS

The Simpsons - Marge Not Be Proud

On the 4th Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

Blackadder's Christmas Carol
Chas and Dave's Xmas Knees Up

On the 3rd Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

Bottom - Holy

On the 2nd Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me;

Knowing Me, Knowing Yule With Alan Partridge

And, On the 1st Day Of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me....

With a fucking massive 51 points, taking first place and a partridge in a pear tree, it's...

🎄🎄🎄 A Christmassy Ted – Father Ted 🎄🎄🎄

a+christmassy+ted+1.JPG

"There's nothing I can say about that Platoon sequence in the lingerie department that hasn't been said already." - Fog Dude

"I don't love it as much as some and would probably put it roughly in the middle of my favourite Ted episodes, but the 'Ireland's largest lingerie section' opening is as strong as anything in the entire series." - Gus Mears

"Perennial favourite, nuff said." - bigfoote

"The only one I'll make a real effort to watch every year" - HarmonicGenerator

"Ted is very, very special to me. I went to school in St Margaret’s(between Twickenham and Richmond), and used to see Dermot Morgan every morning before school (think he even lived next door to a classmate IIRC), and he was the nicest person. Was devastated when he died, and Ted is in my top 3 shows of all time.

This special: You know when you’re really, really ill and all you want is to be in bed, all tucked up, with a hot water bottle, and loads of shit food, and just feel better? That’s what this show makes me feel. It’s my ultimate comfort blanket, and my pick me up when I’m feeling shit.

Constantly find new things I love: “financial IRREGULARITIES”, the explosion in “you let Dougal do a funeral”, and my current favourite, the way the old drunk priest says “and a strange...idiot boy” when describing Dougal. I don’t think this can be beaten, and if it ends up the second best Christmas special, I’ll have to give up." - Super Bacon

My Two Turtle Doves - I can't say better than Super Bacon there. Sublime stuff all round. A well deserved winner, and by a devastatingly apparent margin. Goes to show that no one forgets a classic, and 'A Christmassy Ted' is certified as just that.

Once again, a massive thank you to everyone who voted and a thank you to everyone for reading and following along. It's been a blast to do this. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas you filthy animals.

• Awards Moderator

Good list! 

I watched Father Ted last night, and while a good hour would've been an AMAZING half hour. Drags a bit at the end. The lingerie section is always shorter than I remember. 

Going to watch Bottom tonight. Right this second watching Snowman followed by Snowdog as we have done every year since youngest was born. Yes I know Snowdog is inferior and Briggs hates it, but it's perfect for this time of year. 

Archived