The UKFF's Favourite Christmas Telly Special - Final Result On Page 6!

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I like me some Quantum Leap as well. I bought them all for my mum on DVD one Christmas.I'm surprised it's not on Netflix or Amazon or something. Maybe they are. Turns out it isn't..

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/22/2018 at 3:58 PM, Gus Mears said:

I won't spoil anything else on my list, but I will shamelessly be pulling for the Chas and Dave Xmas Knees Up, especially this year. The gold standard of Xmas specials. 

This is a highlight in my home over Christmas too!

Found this on twitter. Christmas TV was special then

• Paid Members

Still a bit of a slow turnout so far so here's a lovely dollop of inspiration! I'll also extend the voting cut-off by another week so the Christmas cheer can really set in. Massive thanks to those who have sent their votes in, it's very much appreciated.

Top 100 Christmas Specials  - Den Of Geek

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/christmas/38292/top-100-christmas-tv-episodes-of-all-time-20-1

Top 30 Christmas Specials - Digital Spy

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/feature/g24441/best-christmas-tv-specials/

Best Christmas Specials - Vanity

https://variety.com/gallery/best-tv-christmas-episodes/

List of Christmas Specials -  Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christmas_television_specials

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christmas_television_episodes_and_specials_in_the_United_Kingdom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Christmas_television_specials

• Paid Members

This one proved to be a bit of a niche subject and the voter turn out was much lower than expected. A certified Rotten Borough of a topic. The Dunny-on-the-Wold of forum participation.

Next time it should encompass films and all other visual media to broaden the scope, but I genuinely believed there was enough warm memories and nostalgia for these telly specials for everyone to get stuck in. Ah well, you win some, you lose some. Better luck next year.

Before the results, massive thanks are due to everyone who sent in their votes. You are, each and every one of you, wonderful people and are the hardy stock that is the core of Britain's greatness. You have the physiques of a demigods. Purple of cheek, and plump of fetlock, the shapely ankle and the well-filled trouser that tells of a human body in perfect working order.

So here we go...

It's a 12 Days Of Christmas countdown!

Yes, the Top 12 Christmas Specials, as voted by the UKFF! There were just enough votes to carve out something serviceable. I'll be posting an entry a day (almost) all the way up to Christmas Eve.

So, lets get to it! Jingle fucking bells, lads!

Honorable Mentions

Bob's Burgers - Christmas In The Car, The Inbetweeners- Xmas Party, Upstart Crow - A Christmas Crow (1 Point)

Upstart-Crow-Christmas-Special.jpg

"Another relatively new addition to the favourites list as it first aired only last year. Emma Thompson guest stars as Good Queen Bess in a Shakespearean parody of Love, Actually." - Fog Dude

Scrubs - My Own Personal Jesus, Inside No. 9 - The Devil of Christmas, Some Mothers Do Ave'em- Jessica's First Christmas (2 points)

somemothers_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqEDjTm7Jpzh

"Michael Crawford loves a stunt, and this is probably his most famous. Excellent physical comic in this episode." - PunkStep

Fraiser - Miracle On 3rd Or 4th Street, South Park - It's Christmas in Canada, Porridge - No Way Out (3 Points)

i9ispubj58mxdwfjx3xh-750x400.jpg

"Fletcher's greatest plan ever, inevitably ending up in calamity and a gem of a finish." - bigfoote

A Pinky And The Brain Christmas (4 points)

987790.jpg

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Amends (5 points)

kocjzhnpuqx6bfozhlfh.jpg

Peep Show- Seasonal Beatings, Only Fools And Horses - Dates (7 points)

image-w856.jpg?1504140107

"Don't give a shit if it fell in quality and isn't in vogue on this forum, a lot of OFAH until the 90's was excellent, including this. It's the one where Raquel is a strippagram and it really does swither between funny and tragic very well. Great viewing." - Gus Mears

That's it for now, look out tomorrow for a nice bundle of joy as we hit joint-12th place!

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’ve been watching Upstart Crow on my commute and am just up to the Christmas episode. Good shout @Fog Dude.

Doesn't "Bob" turn up in the Upstart Crow Christmas special? Or they do some kind of a callback to the gag? 

• Awards Moderator
16 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Doesn't "Bob" turn up in the Upstart Crow Christmas special? Or they do some kind of a callback to the gag? 

That happens earlier in the series (or possibly in Series 1):

Gemma Whelan's character Kate wants to be an actor, which is illegal because she's female. Can't remember exactly what happens but she ends up on trial, and escapes punishment because the judge is also female, played by "Bob". It's a lovely little callback.

The Christmas special is notable because Emma Thompson plays Queen Elizabeth I in it.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Hide contents

Gemma Whelan's character Kate wants to be an actor, which is illegal because she's female. Can't remember exactly what happens but she ends up on trial, and escapes punishment because the judge is also female, played by "Bob". It's a lovely little callback.

The Christmas special is notable because Emma Thompson plays Queen Elizabeth I in it.

It's not quite that - Shakespeare ends up on trial because he borrowed money from Greene and is unable to pay him back; Greene then takes him to court to get the pound of flesh from Shakespeare's body that was agreed to in the contract. Kate shows up dressed as a male lawyer to try and get Shakespeare acquitted, via the loophole that the agreement says "flesh" and makes no mention of blood - the obvious implication that this was the inspiration for Shakespeare writing 

The Merchant of Venice. 

Anyway, without giving more away, Kate figures out by some worn stereotype that the judge is female (who is indeed Bob), and blackmails her into letting Shakespeare off.

I like Upstart Crow, but that was one of its weaker episodes for me. Was great seeing Bob again. 

The Christmas special was fun indeed, although I was in the odd position that I was slightly disappointed that Elizabeth was played by the wonderful Emma Thompson, and not the just-as-wonderful Miranda Richardson reprising the role.

• Awards Moderator
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Hide contents

It's not quite that - Shakespeare ends up on trial because he borrowed money from Greene and is unable to pay him back; Greene then takes him to court to get the pound of flesh from Shakespeare's body that was agreed to in the contract. Kate shows up dressed as a male lawyer to try and get Shakespeare acquitted, via the loophole that the agreement says "flesh" and makes no mention of blood - the obvious implication that this was the inspiration for Shakespeare writing 

The Merchant of Venice. 

Anyway, without giving more away, Kate figures out by some worn stereotype that the judge is female (who is indeed Bob), and blackmails her into letting Shakespeare off.

I like Upstart Crow, but that was one of its weaker episodes for me. Was great seeing Bob again. 

The Christmas special was fun indeed, although I was in the odd position that I was slightly disappointed that Elizabeth was played by the wonderful Emma Thompson, and not the just-as-wonderful Miranda Richardson reprising the role.

Ah yes, that's the one! I'm getting confused with another more gender-focused episode I think. That's the problem with binge-watching, it all blends together!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Hide contents

I remember now. I knew there was something in there,but couldn't remember properly. Mark Heap  is quite hilarious in that.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I remember now. I knew there was something in there,but couldn't remember properly. Mark Heap  is quite hilarious in that.

He really is. He's clearly having a whale of a time as Robert Greene, literally twirling his moustache at points.

"Good dayyy..."

• Awards Moderator
37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

He really is. He's clearly having a whale of a time as Robert Greene, literally twirling his moustache at points.

"Good dayyy..."

It's the silly over-pronunciation of certain words he does that I enjoy most. Like you say, you can tell he's having a great time.

My appreciation of Will's rants about his carriage journeys to and from Stratford has also gone up a lot since I started watching on the train to or from work.

Archived