Athletico Mince

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

There's been enough discussion across the forum to justify it's own thread.

I've long maintained that Bob Mortimer is in reality what Vic Reeves wishes he was. I never feel like Mortimer is trying too hard and that he really is just 'out there' (his turns on Would I Lie to You seem to prove this). 

This really is a very good podcast that is a great vehicle for Mortimer to be Mortimer, while Andy Dawson is solid and does good work in compering the whole thing. I've caught up on it over the course of a couple of months and have probably enjoyed 'The Adventures of Mark Lawrenson and Robson Green' the most. Some of hits, some of it misses, but enough of it is quality and it's a breezy 40 minutes.  

Who listens? What are your favourite segments? Is BomberPat going to buy that statue of Steve McLaren and Caspar for his Brother this Christmas? 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

There's been enough discussion across the forum to justify it's own thread.

I've long maintained that Bob Mortimer is in reality what Vic Reeves wishes he was. I never feel like Mortimer is trying too hard and that he really is just 'out there' (his turns on Would I Lie to You seem to prove this). 

This really is a very good podcast that is a great vehicle for Mortimer to be Mortimer, while Andy Dawson is solid and does good work in compering the whole thing. I've caught up on it over the course of a couple of months and have probably enjoyed 'The Adventures of Mark Lawrenson and Robson Green' the most. Some of hits, some of it misses, but enough of it is quality and it's a breezy 40 minutes.  

Who listens? What are your favourite segments? Is BomberPat going to buy that statue of Steve McLaren and Caspar for his Brother this Christmas? 

I think the songs are quality. The recent Steve McClaren and Troy Deeny one especially. And pretty much anything to do with Peter Beardsely and his wifes obsession with Poachies

• Paid Members

I was really into it for a while, but I think I listened to much, had to give it a break. The Steve McLaren stories were fantastic, legit concern when I thought Fat Lass had killed Casper. The first time they did the nightclub comic Brass Hand jokes, I honestly can't recall having laughed more in years. Made a few quid from a really shit "Kiss The Alderman!" t-shirt until it got taken down for (spurious) copyright.

• Paid Members

Anyone who hasn't listened to it, they've been doing "Best Of..." episodes in recent weeks while Bob is off filming his fishing show, so it's a good excuse to jump in.

I agree that recent years have highlighted that Bob Mortimer is an absolute gem, and definitely the weirder one out of Vic & Bob. While Vic Reeves was the more outwardly odd, it's clear that he was "playing" Vic Reeves, whereas Bob Mortimer genuinely appears to be the real thing. A lot of the jokes in Athletico Mince pick up on similar themes to Reeves & Mortimer's best stuff, too. Aside from him being genuinely hilarious, and on exactly the right side of surrealism without becoming SO RANDOM LOLZ, WILTY and his fishing show (and some bits of Athletico Mince) show him to have this almost childlike innocent quality to him that's just impossibly endearing. 

The Steve McLaren and Casper statue is extraordinary, it must be said.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PowerButchi said:

Bob Mortimer has also been ace under a pseudonym phoning into Iain Lee talking about fast running.

I used to love it when Keith called in.

Fun fact*, I used to be a regular caller into that show

*No guarantee this is indeed a fun fact

• Paid Members

"Fucking doyle" is such a great Mrs Beardsley insult that it took me months to really appreciate how great her lesser used "spooky fucking clown" is. 

Another great running gag that I didn't really appreciate until my brother pointed it out to me is how Bob Mortimer's charity work is invariably for "daft kids".

• Paid Members

"Daft kids you know, Andy? Kids who are daft". 

I have no idea why I find the working men's club 'brass hand' bits so funny, but I do. Mortimer has been on a tremendous roll since doing a bit less with Vic Reeves. 'Theft and Shrubbery', along with Fuji 9, have made me laugh more than anything else on a comedy show over the past few years. I never need to know if they are actually true or not, the conception of them alone is outstanding. 

Edited by Gus Mears

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

"Fucking doyle" is such a great Mrs Beardsley insult that it took me months to really appreciate how great her lesser used "spooky fucking clown" is. 

Another great running gag that I didn't really appreciate until my brother pointed it out to me is how Bob Mortimer's charity work is invariably for "daft kids".

That always tickles me.

Andy's German techno songs don't get the love they deserve, can't even find them on Youtube.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

"Daft kids you know, Andy? Kids who are daft". 

I have no idea why I find the working men's club 'brass hand' bits so funny, but I do. Mortimer has been on a tremendous roll since doing a bit less with Vic Reeves. 'Theft and Shrubbery', along with Fuji 9, have made me laugh more than anything else on a comedy show over the past few years. I never need to know if they are actually true or not, the conception of them alone is outstanding. 

I just watched Fuji 9 this afternoon as it played next on you tube after the Beardsley cartoon. He is always gold on WILTY. The one about the craft ale recently had me in tears.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's loads of great reoccurring themes in the podcast. People drawing on their faces, the phrase "nowt matters", those machines that shag you.