Room 101 - PPVs or TV show episodes

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

This reminds me of a game I sometimes play with @jazzygeofferz called Wrestling Of Future Past where I change one element and come up with utterly ridiculous ideas of how the business could have been completely different as a consequence. Such as "If Virgil won the Rumble 92, Nitro would have won the war."

Tempted as I am for a myriad of reasons to include Crown Jewel, in reality it's got to be Uncensored 99. You guys have done it to death and so have I but make no mistake, WCW was a big deal to my fandom and as much as things were going wrong by this point - BOY were they going wrong - I was still tuning in to see some of my favourites. It's not a show completely without merit, there are a few good matches, but the booking in the main event just wounded me. I took that one personally. It has all the hallmarks of "LOL WCW" - illogical turns, chaotic finish with run-ins aplenty using the PPV to push "EHRMERGAD WATCH NITRO" instead of the reverse, match stips being completely fucking ignored. Moreover though, the double turn just kicked me square in the balls. When I read on DDTDigest, if you remember that, that they had attempted to turn Hollywood Hogan back babyface, I nearly fell out of my chair.

Whatever you feel about the nWo, the split and reunification, how stale they were by early 99, the entire reason I got back into WCW was the notion that Hogan was the bad guy and I wanted to see someone absolutely murder him. Firstly and primarily Sting, but at various times, Luger, Giant, Dallas Page, Goldberg and - YES - Ric Flair. Fuck off Hogan, just fuck the fuck off. Every time I saw him do a job for three years was so satisfying. That's for Mania IX, you BASTARD. I hated him.

Yes, there was also great wrestling from cruiserweights and the technical sorts, but if I was watching Raw to see Steve Austin beat the shit out of someone, I was watching Nitro predominantly in the hope someone would get to beat the shit out of Hogan. After all the schemes, cheap shots and bullshit Hollywood had pulled off... not even since 96, just in the couple of months he'd been programmed with Flair - you think I'm cheering for this man??? (I can hear it in Liam's voice as I type this) Get the fuck out of here. Perhaps equally as galling was the knowledge that this double turn would logically (oops) have to precipitate some of Hogan's fellow bastards turning with him, and that the rest of the Horsemen would be turned to follow Flair, giving me NO time to celebrate Benoit & Malenko finally winning the tag belts - they're the bad guys now, raid! What?? Are they FUCK the bad guys!

Fuck Hogan, if he got screwed over, he's had it coming for years!! And - fuck about - what's your knock on effect for Goldberg, future of the business? That logical path of him going through all the Wolfpack in order starting with Scott Hall at Souled Out building to eventual chances at revenge on The Hulkster? Down the shitter, Bill! Hogan's a goodie too now, you'll be tagging with him soon, say your prayers, take your vitamins and go fuck yourself. The pile of endless bullshit turns where your worst enemy one month is quite happily your tag partner next month which stretched right through to the end of the year - GOLDBERG AND SID FOR FUCK SAKE - they'll say it started at Uncensored.

WCW had problems but for me Uncensored 99 was the event horizon at which escaping the Brown Hole became an impossibility. Bin it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Summerslam 96 gets removed, so we get no "Owendriver" to injure Austin?

If Virgil had won the '92 Rumble he'd probably have feuded with DiBiase all Summer, or at least dropped the belt to him at 'Mania 8 ahead of a second run of the Savage/DiBiase feud,only without Hogan's shadow hanging over it quite so much.

That fucking episode where fucking Papa Shango fucking cursed the fucking Ultimate Warrior and made him fucking vomit everywhere. Fuck everyone involved in that bullshit to death! I quit watching wrestling for seven years because of that atrocity. It was truly the Holocaust of the wrestling world.

• Paid Members

Wasn't there a TNA PPV that had both that horrendous "Electrified" cage match with the gimmicked lights and sounds straight out of 1984 and the blindfold match where the blindfolds didn't work? I wanna say it was Harris and Storm in the blindfold match. That needs to be erased.

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Wasn't there a TNA PPV that had both that horrendous "Electrified" cage match with the gimmicked lights and sounds straight out of 1984 and the blindfold match where the blindfolds didn't work? I wanna say it was Harris and Storm in the blindfold match. That needs to be erased.

Lockdown 2007, the PPV that saw two candidates for worst match of the year in many a poll. OSW Review did it in a great episode last year.

That Blindfold Match really is something else. They got the ‘hoods’ there that day and they were said to be unusable, so Johnny Devine got his sewing kit out and made what they ended up using, so fuck knows how bad the originals were. James Storm is great when he has to put the hood back and pretend he can’t see. And it seemed to last for ice-age, yet only actually goes 9 minutes

CM Punk's return after only two weeks after walking away with the title at Money in The Bank 2013. The matches that he could have had outside the WWE, in New Japan and Ring of Honour. This should have been a huge storyline.

Also could we put in the episode of Raw where Mysterio after winning the tournament for the WWE title to lose it to John Cena in the same night (which was a complete dick move).

Oh, and Heel Michael Cole...fuck that guy.

53 minutes ago, CL Punk said:

CM Punk's return after only two weeks after walking away with the title at Money in The Bank 2013. The matches that he could have had outside the WWE, in New Japan and Ring of Honour. This should have been a huge storyline.

Also could we put in the episode of Raw where Mysterio after winning the tournament for the WWE title to lose it to John Cena in the same night (which was a complete dick move).

That was all on the same episode wasn’t it? 8 days after the PPV? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

That was all on the same episode wasn’t it? 8 days after the PPV? 

Yes. In one episode they spunked away Rey Rey winning the title in a tournament final against The Miz, being challenged by and losing the title to the "Hang on, wasn't he fired for losing to Punk" John Cena, and Punk strolling back out with his old/new music to go face to face with Cena leaving Rey an afterthought about an hour after he crowned WWE Champion. Extraordinary stuff.

2011, mind.

I'm coming at this more generally like the room 101 is traditionally. Not a case of 'if this didn't happen, this wouldn't have happened' but more things that are the shits and I hate! 

'That' match between Bulldog and Diesel at IYH4 was shockingly shit and the whole PPV was top-to-bottom not good at all. Why Vince thought putting those two together I have no idea, Davey was hardly a super-worker like Michaels or Hart. 

I want to stick themed PPVs in the room too. Hell in a Cell used to be an epic, HUGE deal. It settled a score. Now we get a PPV once a year with randomly thrown together matches just because its a themed show. This is the same with Elimination Chamber. It should be every 2-3 years with a gripping storyline involving 6 man eventers. Now its just another show. When you squander the 'wow' factor of a gimmick match so that its now just another match well, that's why WWE can't keep viewers. Nothing means anything anymore. 

Snow vs Bossman in the shit cage from hell match could be put in there as a match. It was embarrassing. Watching the dogs run about in a half hearted, lethargic way whilst trying to shag and shit everywhere was a hideous concept. Had they pitbulls trained to kill on the outside that may have been more effective. The fact the trainers handled them with ease just stomped all over the gimmick.

16 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

King of the Ring 2000.. So we don't have to see that drag hardcore match ever again... Brisco and Patterson... In drag... "shudders" 

If you got rid of that though then we wouldn't have heard Liam in tears of laughter trying to read out Air Raid's post on one of the early podcasts - so I'll give that a pass.

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

If you got rid of that though then we wouldn't have heard Liam in tears of laughter trying to read out Air Raid's post on one of the early podcasts - so I'll give that a pass.

It was @ColinBollocks who wrote that post about the Evening Gown match, wasn’t it?

KOTR2000 also gave us Kurt Angle’s tournament win which really helped establish him as a contender for upper card status, so I wouldn’t send the whole show to 101 either.

Archived