Room 101 - PPVs or TV show episodes

Liam O'Rourke

So, for this week's podcast we're doing our third show based off the old Room 101 television show, where we're looking for you to submit one nomination for a Pay-Per-View or episode of wrestling television from any point in time that you personally wish to be banished to oblivion for good, and why you want it in Room 101.

You can be as flexible with the nomination as you like - it can be for one thing that happened that pissed you off, it can be an entire show of garbage, or it can be a show that represents a part of your specific personal fandom you'd rather forget. Of course, part of the argument will be around the butterfly effect of what happens if your nomination never existed, so your explanation will be key in whether or not the panel agrees to banish your suggestion to Room 101.

As always, the best nominations will be read and you'll be credited accordingly. So what show annoyed you personally enough to go into Room 101 and why?

EDIT - The Room 101 - PPVs and TV Shows podcast, featuring many of your contributions, is now available at the following link:

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/9xa6px/SCG_Radio_143_-_Room_101_Pay-Per-Views_and_TV_Shows.mp3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

The really obvious answer is Over The Edge 1999. Send it to Room 101 and Owen Hart might still be alive.

Ā 

Just as obvious for very different reasons, the Chris Benoit tribute show needs to go in there. Nothing changes really but they donā€™t have the ā€œdid a tribute show for a murdererā€ thing to think about any more.

Ā 

Staying in 2007, Iā€™ll send the episode where Vinceā€™s limo blows up to Room 101. Terrible angle, soapy hokeyness at its worst, Iā€™ll happilyĀ lose it from history. It ended up going nowhere and had to be abandoned because of the Benoit thing so getting rid of it loses the awkwardness of that, plus you donā€™t have the horrible feeling of them doing 10 bell salutes and things for Vince being pretend-dead when Hall of Famer Sensational Sherri has actually died and they canā€™t really acknowledge it because itā€™d ruin the angle.

Ā 

A bit further back, Iā€™ll send away Insurrextion 2002. Not because of on the show, like the evidence of the first time they tried pushing Bradshaw as a singles star, and not because weā€™d lose one of the last hurrahs of the 24/7 Rule, but because if we donā€™t have this show, the Plane Ride From Hell doesnā€™t happen.

Ā 

If the Plane Ride From Hell doesnā€™t happen, things change. Iā€™m thinking Mr Perfect, Iā€™m thinking Scott Hall, but thereā€™s other issues at play in that story ... who knows how differently Raw might have turned out if it had never happened.

Ā 

Finally, Iā€™ll go modern and get rid of the two Saudi shows this year.

We donā€™t have to fuck with Royal Rumble canon by wondering if the Greatest Royal Rumble ā€˜countsā€™ as a proper Rumble or not (I say not).

We donā€™t fuck Shawn Michaelsā€™ possible one and only comeback match in what was, for me, the worst match of the year.

And mostly you donā€™t have the spectre of a 10 year commitment for Saudi blood money and the propaganda spouting and the ban on female performers and Sami Zayn and the stuff thatā€™s really not going to feel right down the line (and doesnā€™t now either).

It affects nothing because the shows were meaningless, but youā€™re saving WWE time in the long run for years later when they have to pretend these shows never happened.

• Paid Members

That episode of Raw where ECWĀ joined the Invasion, then formed The Alliance in the final segment. Pop that into Room 101 and stretch that storyline over eight to ten weeks like they should have done. Without Stephanie, ideally.Ā 

• Moderators

I'd like to nominate Old Man Carl's archaic opinions on wrestling fed to him by a steady diet of observer. "Laxative Luger" is possibly one of the biggest misnomers in wrestling. Between 1988-1990 he was far ahead of Sting as regards work, had a top class match with Danny Spivey in 91, his neither blue eye nor villain stuff in 95-96 was amazing, and his stooging in late 99 was the only highlight of WCW.Ā I will happily skype in to tell that man who's somehow younger than me, that combination of Compo and Clegg, a walking, regurgitating Findlay Martin.

I'll go with Royal Rumble 98. No PPV = No back injury.

Then you get a series of Austin v Michaels in late Summer/August 98 instead of watching Underkane lumber around in slow motion main events. It would have been utterly fascinating to watch Shawn try to hold onto his spot whilst the Austin juggernaut ran right through him.Ā 

You then maybe get a face turn to go up against heel Rock around ChristmasĀ with a DX collision at Wrestlemania 15 - when Shawn squashes HHH and leaves him in the midcard for life.

Imagine a healthy Michaels mixing it with Angle and Benoit in late 2000 or turning back heel and going against Rock?Ā 

Having said that with HBK still around in late 98, you probably don't get the rise of the Rock so fuck it, let him smash his spine to pieces actually.

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely going with the night Bret Hart returns to RAW. If only so we don't have the damp fart of that newly remixed bollocks music that he comes out to, that almost single handedly ruins the whole thing in one fell swoop.Ā 

Naturally, you don't have the Bret/Vince match as a result of that, but as the match is still going on I believe, it'd make everyones lives a little easier.

There were a few candidates for me (KotR 95, Rumble 2016) but only one PPV has ever left me with an "oh FUCK OFFFF" response.

Ā 

Wrestlemania 9.

Just a really really boring show from start to finish, with some utterly inconsequential matches (Ramon vs Backlund anyone?) crap finishes (Mega Maniacs vs Money Inc, two doinks, Shawn - Tatanka, a stinking Lex v Perfect match) and then, of course, that main event.

There's lots of reasons to get stuck into Bret Hart these days, but his treatment here was utterly abominable. It was probably the first Hogan "power play" I witnessed, as my first PPV was Rumble 1992, and this mania set a precedent for "as Hogan blows, so blows the WWF/WCW". Hogan wins in ten seconds, disappears for three months and then jobs in a disgraceful fashion to Yoko, and we then get Real American Lex Luger out of the whole thing. It took WWF about nine months to get back on track (although the mid 93 Shawn-Marty feud was good watching, but that would remain intact if this show was Room 101'd.)Ā  I'd say this show gave Hogan the leverage to somehow get that contract with WCW, despite his clearly diminishing popularity and tired schtick.

Is it the worst PPV of all-time in terms of match quality? Nope. But its just such an unsatisfying, disappointing card, coupled with Hogan sucking his own cock (Beefcake must have been off buying listerine) at the end of the show.

Even watching them back, this Mania just doesnt feel "Mania special" compared to the rest of the first ten.

Fair play to Bret's "go get 'em Hulk!" bollocks at the end. Doesnt save the show though.

I'm certain that Hogan/Beefcake vs Money Inc. match is still going on. Love it about half way through the match they clear the ring of Money Inc. and Beefer goes for a double high 5 and Hogan just leaves him hanging.

The Doink/Crush finish was amazing though, the double Doinks doing the mime, top class.

The saving grace is Heenan's commentary, my word what a genius, JR: Ā "I'm not wearing a hat or glasses Bobby"..."Yeah but you're from Oklahoma" :laugh:

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I'd like to nominate Old Man Carl's archaic opinions on wrestling fed to him by a steady diet of observer. "Laxative Luger" is possibly one of the biggest misnomers in wrestling. Between 1988-1990 he was far ahead of Sting as regards work, had a top class match with Danny Spivey in 91, his neither blue eye nor villain stuff in 95-96 was amazing, and his stooging in late 99 was the only highlight of WCW.Ā 

Preach, my man!

Ā 

• Paid Members

Considering the awful culture of fan entitlement it created, Iā€™d happily throw in that Occupy Raw episode with Daniel Bryan and Triple H. Itā€™s a shame to see it go, but if it stops all those shitty, smarky chants and those cretins trying to ā€œhijack,ā€ showsĀ then itā€™s a small price to pay.

Get rid of that post-Wrestlemania 30 episode, too. As much as it was nice to hear the crowd chant, ā€œYou Deserve It!ā€ at Bryan, that was the catalyst for every fucker supposedly deserving everything until the end of time. ā€œYou Deserve It!ā€ chants when Nia Jax wins a Battle Royale. Fuck off.

I would like to say tna as whole but that would be too much of a cop out.

TNA victory road 2011.

The main event with hardy and sting and how Jeff was in position to perform, it just shows the lack of structure for him to be in that state, for no one to stop him going out in that state and them actually broadcasting it.

It would have been easy for the crew to say Jeff has been attacked in the back have the match at the next ppv and chuck sting someone random to put him over.

Even down to sting apologising to the fans just reeked of TNA and endless mistakes.

• Paid Members

Great American Bash 2004. In the hope that we avoid the horror of the JBL title reign because they get bored of him and think of something else by the next show. Or maybe Eddie adjusts to the pressure of being the champ. Or the world ends. Anything would be better. We'd also never have to see the Dudley Boys vs. The Undertaker main event a PPV and Paul Bearer wouldn't get murdered in porridge.

WWE ECW #8 - bit of a double whammy as it means we never get that match between Batista and The Big Show at Hammerstein Ballroom which made Big Dave cry, but more importantly it means that CM Punk in WWE never existed and the miserable shit stayed in ROH, thus also saving the UFC the embarrassment of putting him on 2 PPVs

• Paid Members

I can't give you an exact date but this is a WCW show from a Rosemont Horizon in Chicago in 1994. It would have been before December 3rd and after Hogan signed. The matches on the show are not the reason that I want to put it in Room 101.Ā 

As part of the promotion for the show they played a basketball game with some of the wrestlers and some locals. One of the local players really impressed Hulk Hogan with the way he worked the crowd, and by the size of him. Hogan mentioned him him to Eric Bischoff who went on to sign him. His name was Paul White.Ā 

Put this show into Room 101 and if you dont prevent WCW signing Big Show you at least slow it down. Lets say though that you prevent his signing and he never gets into wrestling. That's years of the big necked, sausage handed walking belly on legs stinking up our screens. Put this show in, and just to be sure, any show from the Rosemont Horizon for a 5 year period and save us all the misery b

Archived