AJ Styles

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’m struggling to imagine it today.

That’s because it’s not true, at least according to Dave. The plan to change the title was supposedly made on Saturday, two days before the Becky injury. It was the DB heel turn that was the spare of the moment change. According to Dave of course. 

I could see Styles switching to Raw to give them more star power. It just leaves Smackdown short of faces but they could always turn Orton/Bring back Cena/move someone like Wyatt over there to balance it out. 

I'm not sure how the rules work but if Styles wins the Rumble and chooses to face Brock then does he move to Raw permanently or just until Mania? If its the latter then its a good way to get him on Raw for a few months. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Factotum said:

I was bored of AJ as the champion. He should have dropped it to Joe during their feud. AJ can still put on absolute classics so he doesn't really need the belt. I would like to see him switch to RAW.

Ugh. I'm so sick of this idea. The best person to represent the company (or brand) because they're going to have the best matches, sell the tickets, be integral to the story you want to tell on top, should be positioned as champion whether they "need it" or not. AJ was a strong reigning champion because they needed him to be. Which makes it weirder that they threw it away like they did once Riyadh was off the table.

7 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Ugh. I'm so sick of this idea. The best person to represent the company (or brand) because they're going to have the best matches, sell the tickets, be integral to the story you want to tell on top, should be positioned as champion whether they "need it" or not. AJ was a strong reigning champion because they needed him to be. Which makes it weirder that they threw it away like they did once Riyadh was off the table.

AJ was a total nightmare as champ as far as ticket sales and ratings went. I’m not saying Bryan will be better, but he can’t be much worse. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

AJ was a total nightmare as champ as far as ticket sales and ratings went.

AJs segments had poor ratings? News to me. He's the only guy they've kept consistently booked like a star and main eventer during his reign, unless they'd have rolled the dice on Joe during that program I didn't see an alternative that I'd have bought on top. Don't buy "doesn't need the belt" as a thing. It's a Jake The Snake/Million Dollar Man position and the star power simply isn't there today.

54 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

AJ was a total nightmare as champ as far as ticket sales and ratings went. I’m not saying Bryan will be better, but he can’t be much worse. 

Anything to back this up? I've not seen anything to really suggest he was a nightmare for ratings. 

It's been awhile in general since I heard a single top performer being singled out for a dip in company  metrics. I get the sense house shows and merch go down when Roman isn't about, but other than that it takes the entire cast to hold down the fort, whilst WWE draws on name basis. 

The last time I remember paying attention to quarter hours was Punks 2.9 segments as champ, and that's only because they came in the wake of this prevailing, glass half full feeling that he was going to pop a 21st century update to the Attitude Era. 

• Paid Members

I thought ratings and attendance were generally going down across the board regardless of who was on the card? Despite AJ being Champ, I think the fact that once they started doing joint Raw/Smackdown PPVs again and his title matches were never on last quickly made the title feel like a mid-card belt and AJ feel like a mid-card wrestler. Perception is everything. Especially when the matches that did headline the PPVs were mostly fucking rubbish while AJ has had a solid year.

Smackdown for years has had poor ticket sales, I think only Cena has made a bit of a difference if he is advertised to show on Smackdown or the odd house show.

I'm not sure whether its because its perceived as the B show, whether its because no one watches it or if its because the ticket prices are ridiculously priced (if Smackdown in Manchester is anything to go by).

On that note I was at the Raw Manchester show the other week and they taped most of the upper section off, I guess WWE are happy for people to pay ÂŁ100 per ticket than have cheaper tickets sell out the venue.

Archived