AJ Styles

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

What do people think is happening with AJ Styles, then?

A year long WWE Title reign ended on TV with no buildup. Removed from a (built up) Champion vs Champion rematch at Survivor Series. Missing his first PPV (excluding Evolution) since they started using combined rosters again.

Is he injured? In the doghouse for some reason? They don’t want none? He don’t want none? Buggering off? Or just in need of a rest and some recuperation before he burns out?

And assuming he’s still around in the short term, what’s next for him? There’s clearly a rematch with Bryan, but then what? Are they planning to move him to Raw, or is he too much the face of SmackDown for him to shift over now?

Many questions, much speculation, and maybe the newzsites have already been reporting on plans - but if it’s not posted on here I don’t see it so forgive me for that - but it seems a strange and abrupt turn of events for someone who WWE have felt pretty reliant to carry a fair bit of the load this year.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My initial thinking was that it had to be a suspension or some sort of personal matter, and I fully expected something to be announced sometime around yesterday when the dust had already settled on the title change. But the only extra news item I've seen come through so far is that Bryan pitched his heel turn to Vince, who in turn gave it the green light and consequently agreed to the title change. So it looks as though Vince has literally gone for the title change purely for the Bryan heel turn and not because of any particular issue with AJ. 

It's not the heel turn or title changes themselves I find baffling, just the manner of them. As ever, they've totally rushed something and haven't let it simmer. My gut feeling is that this is a panic reaction from Vince off the back of declining Smackers attendances or something along those lines. Wonder if Fox are snooping around their latest investment too and whether that' s altering any of the direction the show is taking. 

Assuming all is well(ness?) with AJ, the continuation of a feud with Bryan would still be great to watch. Maybe they even have Shawn planned for him as opposed to Bryan, and this was a way of kickstarting a new pathway towards that? 

• Paid Members

Everything Meltzer has said suggests it was just a classic Vince shakeup where he wakes up one morning and wants to change plans. He also theorised that Vince and WWE not knowing how many more Brock matches they're going to get may have played a factor. If Brock truly is heading to the UFC and he really is only going to wrestle two or three more matches, then it makes sense to do the Bryan match whilst you can rather than repeating something we've already seen. It is sort of a dream match, if you ignore the stupid fact that it's now going to be heel vs. heel.

The only problem is that I'm more convinced than ever that this is one massive blag and Brock is never going back to UFC. Especially now Roman is on the shelf, I imagine Brock can name his price and make millions and millions without getting smashed up by Daniel Cormier. If that's the case though, and Brock ends up staying forever, the way they've booked him this past year is going to look really fucking stupid in retrospect. He was their biggest, most popular star this time last year. It's unbelievable how much harm they've done portraying him as this lazy, anti-WWE dickhead. It didn't get heel heat and it didn't get Roman cheered. It just made people stop caring about a guy who I imagine is their highest paid wrestler by a considerable margin.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, AlbertsNextGimmick said:

Maybe Styles wins the rumble and chooses to face Lesnar? 

Between everyone that's missing the show this would be putting your last two proper main eventers (as I type) in the same match, so I don't think they'll do that. Styles to do something else, Lesnar v Rollins would be my bet. Once Rollins frees himself of the I title he's popular enough to go main event again with a Rumble win.

Archived