Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

Brexit

15 minutes ago, JNLister said:

That's no use for him. They can't do a no confidence motion till Tuesday (has to be put down the day before.) If they got that through, either Corbyn or someone else takes over, or the opposition just lets the 14 days run down and spark the election automatically. Johnson would set the date but it has to be 25 working days later, meaning October 29. By then he's either asked for the extension (and collapsed in the polls to the Brexit Party), resigned to get out of it, or is in jail for contempt.

Stop it. My penis can only get so erect...

What incredible and scary times we live in. I just wish the Lib Dems were flying in the poles.....at least then I'd have some semblance of hope!

I can see a scenario where Boris does a deal now with Farage to allow Boris to extend to avoid breaking the law (without being eviscerated by Nigel et al), then have Nigel's backing and a Brexit Party pact, standing on a no deal platform at a subsequent GE. It's shaping up to be the Brexit Election in December and my biggest fear is Corbyn will be the blocker of a true Remain Coalition coming together to fight it.

44 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I just wish the Lib Dems were flying inÔĽŅ the poÔĽŅleÔĽŅs

I thought your lot were against immigration?

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought your lot were against immigration?

Your still pushing this MPDTT is a Tory Cunt thing....I'll save you the time of searching through old posts...I was a Tory member until 2016, quit my membership post referendum and supported the Lib Dems ever since. Voted for them at the last election, although Steve Reed won the seat (Labour). Remainer over everything.....

I can never see myself going back, what's left is just rotten.

Also I'm a 2nd generation immigrant and dual national!

6 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Your still pushing this MPDTT is a Tory Cunt thing....I'll save you the time of searching through old posts...I was a Tory member until 2016, quit my membership post referendum and supported the Lib Dems ever since. Voted for them at the last election, although Steve Reed won the seat (Labour). Remainer over everything.....

I can never see myself going back, what's left is just rotten.

Also I'm a 2nd generation immigrant and dual national!

WELCOME BACK SPURSRIOT!!! COYS 

I could see the Lib Dems putting a serious dent in the traditional conservative vote, if they push themselves as an alternative to alienated members/supporters.

Problem with that though is that they risk pushing away their own traditional support, after trying to rebuild after the coalition years.

At least for now the opposition parties are somewhat united. Though how long that will last is anyone's guess.

So Bercow standing down when Brexit happens, what do we think of the meme-able Speaker? Personally, I hope Lindsay Hoyle is elected new leader, although it's been a while since the Chairman of Ways and Means has jumped into the big chair.

Dominic Raab just gave the game away in parliament (I'm paraphrasing)...

"There are contradictory laws & vagaries in the no-no deal act. On many occasions a government has acted on legal advice which subsequently was found to be incorrect in judicial review"

The government's legal advice would come from... Geoffrey Cox (tory cunt)

He would say xyz reason is why you can still have no deal

It will happen

Judicial review will overrule... but by then it will be done

Government acted on legal advice & therefore are in the clear

Hypothetical statement from PM: I sought and received advice from legal counsel, and acted upon it in good faith.

Thus the loophole is ridden.

So Johnson closing Parliament has been declared illegal in a Scottish Court AND the Government released some of "Yellow Hammer" documents, which are almost unchanged from the leaked ones that were dismissed as "old and out of date". They flat out refused to comply with the order to release emails, texts, related to the closure of Parliament.

I don't expect this to change anything  They are already appealing the court decision and they are trying to reframe Yellow hammer as a "possible worst case scenario" when even the people who worked on it have said it's the "base scenario". I'm not convinced the EU will agree to another extension either.

What I am wondering is: How the fuck does Johnson survive No Deal? The Opposition might not be able to stop it but they have made it clear that Johnson not only wants it to happen, but is fully aware of the consequences of it. He's gone to extraordinary lengths to stop it being blocked, while slashing the amount of people who are supposed to be negotiating with the EU.

So how does he survive? He might win an early election, before the damage really kicks in, but there's no way that he'll be able to last the term. Even other Tories will see him as an easy scapegoat. Is he really hoping everybody will blame the EU? Or is he just planning to fuck off once the damage is done.

Fuck, does he even have a plan?.

His plan is to paint it as the people versus parliament, with him as the people's champion (don't bother with the obvious).  He went to parliament to deliver what the public instructed it to do but they wouldn't in spite of his best efforts.  So vote for him so he can get a majority and get rid of parliamentary elite in the Westminster bubble who are stopping democracy.

Of course, it's bollocks, but his audience will lap it up.  There was a guy on Politics Live today saying how leavers have the mindset that anything that gets in the way of what they thought would happen is undemocratic, treasonous and an affront to decency.  Even if something is illegal or impossible, they still see it as being confrontational to their position.  You know the sort, the ones who demanded we have our parliamentary sovereignty, but screamed "NOT LIKE THAT" when they saw what it actually looked like.

6 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

So how does he survive?

Because enough people aren't interested in what's really happening. Facts and critical analysis don't come into it. They don't get the information on what's been happening because they only rely on sources which don't report it and which instead play to the prejudices of their readers and above all push for what they want to happen. If they find out about a legal verdict, it's presented to them as saboteur judges acting as their enemies. Or, in this case, biased Scottish judges, not like our good English judges (except for those who reach the wrong conclusion).

When an election comes, some of these people will vote in enough numbers that the Conservative party, in spite of everything we know and how abominably they've behaved, will win a large number of seats. I suspect that they'll even return the largest number of seats, even if not a majority overall, followed by declarations that 'the people' have thus declared that they want a no-deal Brexit. Were the question of Brexit to be asked in an alternative way, say, a manner in which the result were announced as a number of votes for a position rather than seats won, the answer would be clearly different. And that's why they're trying so hard to goad the Opposition into a GE. I imagine they've got it backed up twice too: if there isn't a GE, which there won't be, then they'll get their no-deal Brexit, will be able to portray themselves as the party of the people, and then will be in a strong position for a GE down the line.

I think I'm pretty much done with the whole thing. Brexit won't be terribly bad for me personally, I think. Our jobs are safe. We can absorb the rising prices without having to tighten our belts. Houses are overpriced anyway and I'm not against them crashing (it's better for people who aren't yet on the ladder); the supposed drop of one third will take us back to where we started. That's not the end of the world, even though we were hoping to sell and move abroad in about four years' time. Probably the worst way in which we'll be hit personally is longer queues in airports, a trivial affair in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile, I see poor cousins and people who grew up near me, the typical poorly educated and struggling to make ends meet type, still bleating on about how they want their precious WTO Brexit, even though they and people like them are the ones who will be worst hit, whilst the people they get their information from make a killing on shorting the pound and escaping the new tax regulations. At some point you've got to say 'fuck it'; let them reap the consequences of what they're so fervently pushing for. I think the old thinking about voting being a civic duty should be rephrased into something like 'it's your civic duty to be informed and vote'. I'd feel bad for the people hard hit who are innocent of unleashing all this but what can you do when their friends and neighbours are powering it?

Fuck me, this is a depressing post.