Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

Brexit

2 minutes ago, David said:

The Scottish thing isn't the norm though, it's all based on the carrot & stick of independence. The SNP are running Scotland into the ground in all honesty, but the evergreen promise of independence keeps people electing them.

I'll have to take your word for it. I keep hearing varying reports about the SNP's stewardship of Scotland.

Yeah, but you'd think if everyone who voted to leave thought he was the mutts nuts they'd surely vote for him in greater numbers come the real elections? They don't though, because while people like to watch him do his thing, he isn't taken all that seriously. And he seems fine with that, he's found a niche that works for him. 

As for the likes of Bannon, and even Dominic Cummings, you can't really blame them for being nasty pieces of work. They don't hide that fact. What the real problem is, is that the left don't seem able to reach into its bag of highly educated types and pull out someone who can match these guys move for move. The left are all too busy arguing among themselves to do that.

By the same token, how is it the Brexit Party, despite literally not existing until a few months prior to the MEP elections, managed to draw a shit-ton of votes? Because he set them up. And when you consider that he doesn't need to be massively popular, because there's the likes of Rees-Mogg, Francois, etc. championing his position in the Tory ranks, it explains how he's able to exert influence. 

As to Bannon and Cummings, I agree - although I don't think it's just fractiousness causing it. It's that Bannon and Cummings (the latter in particular) blindsided them with tactics that only come with the realisation that nobody cares about the rules any more. They were able to outright lie and fight dirty, whilst the left still clung to the belief this campaign could still be fought clean. That's another reason why you get lefties looking down on the right - the right's demonstrated it doesn't care about being persuaded or informed any more, it just wants what it wants, putting the lie to every claim of propriety, democracy, legality, etc. that it's ever made. Maybe that's not a fair assessment, but that's exactly how it looks.

There isn't 19 odd million people out there physically attacking people though, is there? It's a relatively small minority. I'm not talking about trying to reconcile with them, that type are scumbags. I'm on about the rest of the majority who voted leave for various reasons. The pensioners, the working class types who don't abuse people on the streets.

But they're only the tip of the iceberg, aren't they? If they were a tiny minority by themselves, it'd be easy to deal with, but in the wake of Windrush, Grenfell, etc., it's hard not to think that we're seeing it happen all over again. The scum on the streets are being emboldened by the actions of those in power.

Exactly, which is why it's almost time to get the whiskey opened and get the Thistle game on the set.

Spelling crime aside, good man. I got some favourites over Christmas - Laphroaig 10 Year, Glenfairn Islay, and Glenfairn Speyside. Also got a nice mini of Jura, but am thinking of saving that for something celebratory - although when the fuck that will be, I don't know.

Just now, Carbomb said:

Spelling crime aside, good man.

It's my Proper No. 12 I'm opening tonight 😉

12 minutes ago, David said:

It's my Proper No. 12 I'm opening tonight 😉

Drinking McG's Kool-Aid, you're a disgrace, man

It's bizarre seeing Tories and Leavers getting so upset about Terry Christian and acting like he's some kind of Voice Of The Left and Remain.

We all think he's twat. We have done ever since The Word. But it's hilarious seeing you all so wound up by a bloke who used to do a show where people used to eat pube sandwiches.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

The fact that he went searching for a gif of Thatcher and used one where it's not even her says a lot.

13 minutes ago, neil said:

@Porkchopcash if you have nothing of value to add to this thread then stay out of it

Can this be pinned to every single thread?

42 minutes ago, neil said:

@Porkchopcash if you have nothing of value to add to this thread then stay out of it

That's one reason why I kind of miss forum signatures. 99% of them were utter dogshit though.

Some of the Dads I play football with every week have sent photos in the group chat of them at the pub where they’ve handed out sparklers to celebrate. I’ve had to mute it before I call someone a cunt and make the school run a nightmare.

Some of them are getting two-footed into next week on Monday

8 hours ago, Carbomb said:

True, but again - it's easier to be conciliatory when the actual scumbag racist pricks aren't out there physically attacking or verbally abusing ethnic minorities and citing Brexit as their justification. Until the Brexit side properly distances itself from that, all it's going to look like to Remainers is "well, if we co-operate, we'll just be taking one more step along the slow, gradual road to fascism".

This is true, but it's always been a problem in the Brexit community. Every time the Radical Leavers do an assault or groomrape or bomb, the moderate Leavers should all come out and condemn it and distance themselves from it - and yet they don't do that en masse, which makes it seem like they're just quietly condoning it. Until they all loudly make that distinction, they deserve to be lumped in with the bad ones and treated like a dirty, horrible danger to our way of life.

Edited by King Pitcos

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Some of the Dads I play football with every week have sent photos in the group chat of them at the pub where they’ve handed out sparklers to celebrate. I’ve had to mute it before I call someone a cunt and make the school run a nightmare.

Some of them are getting two-footed into next week on Monday

I was at the local earlier and a group of divs actually did a countdown like it was fucking New Years Eve. Never cringed so much in my life.

2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

This is true, but it's always been a problem in the Brexit community. Every time the Radical Leavers do an assault or groomrape or bomb, the moderate Leavers should all come out and condemn it and distance themselves from it - and yet they don't do that en masse, which makes it seem like they're just quietly condoning it. Until they all loudly make that distinction, they deserve to be lumped in with the bad ones and treated like a dirty, horrible danger to our way of life.

Very good. Except attempting to equate Muslims with Brexiters is fallacious because they're nowhere near the same things, in numerous ways.