Brexit

Devon Malcolm

I'd be genuinely concerned in the event of an election that we'd get a Rees-Mogg/Johnson type

Rees-Mogg would never run. Johnson could, but chances are he's blown his chances at it. He keeps positioning himself but the majority of Tory MPs hate him and I imagine he would lose the first round of votes.

A new Government could mean a lot of things. Mainly it could reverse Article 50 with a majority vote, or delay the date of March. It could also call for a second referendum. Or, and most importantly, a majority government would be able to get its Brexit deal through. Right now it seems any plan May brings will be voted out leading to the No deal.

• Paid Members

The only positive over the last 48 hours has been seeing the DUP get well and truly shafted. Couldn't happen to a better bunch.

No,  I think it would still be a close run thing but now you'd have a lot of people who were too young to vote last time that could this time, and I'd say an 80/20 would be how that demographic would vote.

My brother isn't very political, he voted to leave solely because of the NHS bus thing.  He has worked all his life in maintenance in a hospital so he was looking forward to getting more NHS money.  He said he was angered when practically the very next day Farage et al were saying how that was essentially a lie, and he'd vote to remain now.

But keeping mega threads will add to the growth and the prosperity of the UKFF. Getting shot of them will add to the continued death of the UKFF.

May is to Cameron what Brown was to Blair...clean up crew after the mess the latter created.

Brexit was never going to run smoothly and "Brexiteers" won't be happy with any deal that doesn't involve the absolute submission of the EU to all of their demands.  May will end up losing her position as Prime Minister, another election will be called that Corbyn will lose and some other Tory like Gove or Boris will attempt to run and get shut down before a different Tory becomes PM.  Brexit will probably be forced through in the "no deal" scenario and the UK will probably have some kind of recession and have to spend many years re-building.

I think someone on here said it best in that the referendum called by Cameron should have been the start of the conversation, not the end...

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But keeping mega threads will add to the growth and the prosperity of the UKFF. Getting shot of them will add to the continued death of the UKFF.

I pledge to make sure that a separate thread for Can b-sides and stuff Ralphy taped off Scuzz will be provided.

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

I pledge to make sure that a separate thread for Can b-sides and stuff Ralphy taped off Scuzz will be provided.

But how can we have a hard border backstop on Nu Metal and Brazilian 70's funk without the same concessions for anecdotes?  It's a compromise too far.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Factotum said:

But the Brexiters are refusing to take any responsibility for this shit. I don't like May at all, but how they can pile on her when not a single one of them has come up with any alternative is laughable. They were never getting their idealised vision of Brexit because it doesn't fucking exist.

Anyway, she'll be gone in a week and an election will be coming up.

I voted Brexit. I believed in all the bullshit being fed and I feel awful, though I know it isn't just down to me as an individual, but a lot of people feel duped. Sure, there is still a lot of gammon around, but I don't think anyone, if they realized how difficult and awful this whole process has been, and the outcome we look likely to get, would have voted to leave. 

I sympathise with you, but there was a lot of people saying what would happen. Gove's 'People are sick of the experts' line was the most telling. Too many people utterly ignored what was being said by people who warned what this would happen. I admire your honesty there, and I think a lot of people will be in your situation. Its why those like Farage don't want a second referendum, they know their lies can be proven wrong

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I voted Brexit. I believed in all the bullshit being fed and I feel awful, though I know it isn't just down to me as an individual, but a lot of people feel duped. Sure, there is still a lot of gammon around, but I don't think anyone, if they realized how difficult and awful this whole process has been, and the outcome we look likely to get, would have voted to leave. 

You-Should-Feel-Bad-Zoidberg.jpg.a70e62c0e05f25924fb37c88a44a65ec.jpg

Your vote was bad and you should feel bad.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

No,  I think it would still be a close run thing but now you'd have a lot of people who were too young to vote last time that could this time, and I'd say an 80/20 would be how that demographic would vote.

It would be nice if they let Brits abroad and citizens of other EU countries resident in the UK vote next time too. A lot of people who were able to vote in June 2016 have passed away since then as well.

If the Article 50 negotiation period is extended (as Gus suggested) by at least 2 months, then we'd get a symbolic vote in the next European Parliament elections... which could be used as a proxy third* referendum – albeit on potentially a much lower turnout.

*The first was in 1975 but everyone forgets that.

23 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

A lot of people who were able to vote in June 2016 have passed away since then as well.

Especially Leave voters, trust me.

Hannibal, where do you live?