Brexit

Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

7, I believe.  Including getting less votes than someone dressed as a dolphin.

I think someone asked him on the radio once about his constant failure to get elected to parliament, and he had a right strop. Seems like a real sore spot.

2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I think someone asked him on the radio once about his constant failure to get elected to parliament, and he had a right strop. Seems like a real sore spot.

I'm not that sure he actually wants elected. He seems to "win" more from being able to operate as the instigator on the sidelines. if he got in, he'd actually be held accountable and have to do more than dress sharp and down pints.

13 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not that sure he actually wants elected. He seems to "win" more from being able to operate as the instigator on the sidelines. if he got in, he'd actually be held accountable and have to do more than dress sharp and down pints.

Yep, as James O'Brien said a few years back after Farage quit politics after the referendum.  (I say quit, he still was an MEP which he called semi retirement)

Yeah, he was never going away altogether.

As much as I hate to say it, he's easily the savviest, smartest politician in the UK at the moment, which is more of a damning indictment of the current lot than saying he's anything special. He makes the rest of the bunch who wander around in the main parties look like absolute fools. I have no doubt he'll do very well in the EU elections, and will push on from there, managing to do just enough to avoid actual responsibility for anything, but manage to stay incredibly relevant and popular among a decent chunk of the population.

EDIT: He also has more charisma than the entire Labour and Conservative parties combined. I personally find him entertaining as hell, and certainly tune in whenever he's on QT or suchlike. It's not so much that I agree with anything he says, as I just enjoy seeing someone who doesn't send me to fucking sleep as soon as they start talking.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Couple of minor points on the European Elections. The ballot papers are now out and it appears Farage's mob have dropped a bollock. Everyone (by which I mean a few political nerds on Twitter) thought one of the many genius things about the Brexit Party name was that it would be top of the ballot paper because it's done in alphabetical order. However, in the North West at least (and presumably nationwide), they've registered it as "The Brexit Party" and consequently are right near the bottom, just above UKIP. Probably won't make much difference given UKIP 'won' last time, but still a minor LOL.

Meanwhile election analysts are semi-seriously delighted with the Conservatives approach to the election because they're basically acting as a controlled experiment to see what difference it makes when a major party doesn't have a manifesto or any active campaign beyond the free mailout. 

• Paid Members

For any fellow political nerds out there, there's a fantastic two part Storyville documentary on iplayer called Brexit: Behind Closed Doors. It's a fly on the wall type thing that follows Guy Verhofstadt, Chief Co-Ordinator for Brexit for the European Parliament, during the last few years since the Brexit vote. You get to sit in on some seriously candid conversations between Barnier et al. What I took from it was that, unsurprisingly, the EU's team is organised, united and highly competent and the UK....well, you can guess. Really highlighted how messed up this situation is and how there's no way we're coming out of it as winners, not with the current bunch of self-serving charlatans we have at the minute.

• Paid Members

Got home from work yesterday to find Nigel Farage's ugly cunt face staring up at me from his shite hawk election literature. 

Made me wince wondering how my details could have fallen into their hands, the initial of my middle name suggests my bank has sold them my details. 

Either way, back it goes to their HQ in an unstamped envelope. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

Made me wince wondering how my details could have fallen into their hands, the initial of my middle name suggests my bank has sold them my details. 

They get it from the electoral register - any registered political party can use details from there "for electoral purposes"; which generally means sending out leaflets. The real question is who's funding them to be able to afford it.

Send them a GDPR request asking that they remove your details from their records, and they will have to comply. For extra fun, also request a copy of all data they have on you - that'll create work and expense for them. 

• Paid Members

This is more general politics but is clearly a consequence of the Brexit events: Labour's decline means Sadiq Khan is no longer polling above 50 percent for next year's mayoral election. If that held, it would mean a second round run-off. In normal times, that's simple enough -- the Labour guy beats the Tory guy unless its Boris.

Problem is the Tories have collapsed so much in London that it's not guaranteed it would be Labour-Conservative in the second round, and instead it could be Khan against a Lib Dem or Green. That then becomes a crapshoot because your second preference only counts in London mayor if it's for one of the two people in the run-off, and you don't know that in advance. So it's quite conceivable you could get Leavers doing some combination of two from UKIP/Brexit/Conservative that means their second vote isn't counted, but hardcore Remainers doing some combo of Lib Dem/Green/ChUK and those second preferences causing one of them to win.

36 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Who gives a shit?

That's unfair, he may not have won many of his big bouts but Chisora is an entertaining figure in the boxing world.