Sign in to follow this  
Supremo

When it’s Good it’s Fucking Great.

29 minutes ago, Chasingamymatt said:

This is what i miss. storytelling to fit the crowd. Rock was amazing at it, did the same against Brock at SS, heard how the crowd was going and went with it. Bret SC at 13 was planned but the timing in that was equally perfect. Also another one that is forgotten is Shawn & Shamrock, just watch shawn in the match every more and nuance is in response to the crowd.

I just watched the match again including entrances and it is just a fucking masterclass. 

It's such an amazing art form to have the audience give instance and constant feedback and the true great performers being able to adapt and alter things on the fly. It must take so much nerve to be able to listen and feel it with the pressure etc at that level.

Hogan says it great in the clip actually, something along the lines of - you either underatand the art form or you don't, you either have "it" or you don't. If you don't, then you just choreograph everything and sometimes you'll get lucky and sometimes you won't. That's what today's style is really. 

Don't mean to be a tit and I could naturally listen to Rock talk for hours, but I always think Rock got a bit too much credit for the X8 match. Like, I don't really think he worked as a heel at all. He certainly acts the babyface when he's doing the People's Elbow to finish it, except his head's a bit down because I think he was a bit genuinely pissed off at the response.

I think the story that Rock was really working heel in that match is a bit of a myth which Rock has internalised, rather than having much basis in what actually happened in the match.

he's not working heel in terms of aggravating the crowd or bending the rules, but in terms of how the match is structured, he absolutely is. Rock gets heat on Hogan, Hogan gets the big babyface comeback.