When it’s Good it’s Fucking Great.

Supremo

13 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

It’s a great match, but it doesn’t really fit in with the nature of the thread. The entire purpose of this match was to build up two matches, which would surely make more sense to put in here if they live upto expecrsfion, and then cite this match as being a key component of build.

Hi @AdamTH17

My reasons for including as "fucking great" are:

- That moment of Ospreay landing on his feet and the camera work capturing the look on Ibushi's face is just incredibly well done by all concerned

- The match is a 'match of the year' candidate and NJPW have chosen to give it away free just 10 days after it happened on NJPW World. A nice Christmas gift!

- The match itself could be the textbook answer for what amazing tag team wrestling looks like

In short, I just thought it was fucking great from all angles, so posted the free link in this page so others who hadn't seen it could enjoy it.

• Paid Members

"And NEW NWA World's Heavyweight Champion..."

image.png.de5b47385c632cf3adc3b6513bd05328.png

Thinking back on 2018, and reading all the talk about AEW, I went back and watched all the stuff surrounding Cody vs. Nick Aldis at, "All In," including the match itself. I think I love it even more now than I did at the time! It's absolutely incredible how much they made me care about the NWA Title, a belt that hasn't mattered to anyone in what feels like decades. Even when they announced this match I remember thinking what a waste it was putting that match on the card. And yet, by the time the bell rang, I don't think there was a match all year that I cared so much about.

It's what makes pro-wrestling so great. If you sell something well enough, you can get anything over. It's a testament to just how effective the basics are. All it took was a couple of well-delivered promos and a handful of well-produced videos and I was, if you'll excuse the pun, all in. I fucking LOVE it when it clicks like this. Suspending disbelief, getting sucked in, caring about who wins or loses a fake fight for a fake belt. Feeling like a kid again. Just watch this music video that they released the week before the match, set to the Smashing Pumpkins. It's beautiful. They've no right whatsoever making Nick fucking Aldis defending the worthless NWA belt against the lad who played Stardust feel this important and must-see. (Music videos stars at 06:21 if my link doesn't work properly)

The simple storyline about Cody's family history with the belt was perfect, they hit all the basics leading up to fight week, but it was all the MMA-inspired details in the last few days that pushed this over the edge and made it feel like the biggest match of the year. Whoever came up with the idea of doing a press conference and a weigh-in the night before deserves a medal. Such a simple idea, but it made all the difference. In exactly the same way that it pushes MMA fights over the edge, giving you one last dose of hype and excitement, the exact same thing happened here.

image.png.0cb778d79274e8e3a3cc371b07e5941e.png

image.png.4d7ea766135b3c9361eca084f423bf01.png

image.png.7315b20232ac0fd7059d80ea200ee081.png

It was daft really, having a weigh-in for a match that didn't even have a weight limit, but who cares? It worked. Seeing both guys posing on the scale, some random holding up Aldis' title in the background, followed by the face-off, hundreds of fans taking photos with their camera phones, this felt humongous.

Then there were the entrances on the night. I can't even put my finger on exactly why it made such a difference but seeing both guys walk from their locker rooms with, "fight camps," was absolutely inspired. Once again it made this feel like the biggest match in forever. Like a proper fight. And in perfect pro-wrestling style, they not only borrowed these little touches from MMA, but put their own spin on it by incorporating CODY'S FUCKING DOG. I love it! Just when you think you can't root for him anymore! Can you get a purer babyface than a man with a boss dog? Awesome!

Watching that back you've got to give Cody all the credit in the world. Either this genuinely meant everything to him, or he's a fantastic actor. His facial expressions are top level, like someone truly walking into a fight; nervous, excited, emotional, nearly on the verge of tears. Phenomenal stuff.

The irony is that the match itself isn't much cop. The psychology is all over the place, Earl Hebner is far past his prime and Nick Aldis doesn't really have the chops to carry a proper main event match. But none of that mattered by this point. They'd hooked me. All that mattered was that Cody won that belt. I needed it to happen. So did every one of those 10,000 fans. The pop when he wins is massive and he plays it perfectly. Proper goose-bump stuff. For one night only the NWA World Championship meant more than any other belt on the planet. Amazing.

At the time, I remember thinking it was only a matter of time before Triple H ripped them off and incorporated weigh-ins and, "fight camp," entrances into some of their bigger matches. It worked so well here, he'd be crazy to not give it a go. Plus, hasn't Trips walked a couple of boxers to the ring in the past? He's obviously keen on the idea himself.

It's now been months since All In. I can't believe they haven't done it already.

Then it hit me this morning. There's no better match for them to incorporate a weigh-in and a fight camp entrance than Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey at Wrestlemania. Holy shit. It couldn't be more perfect. Imagine them doing a weigh-in the night before Wrestlemania, flashbulbs going off, Becky screaming in Ronda's face during the face off, Vince or Triple H standing between them to stop them tearing each other apart. Imagine Becky walking from her locker room on the night with Bayley, Sasha and Charlotte. Ronda coming out with Shayna, Marina and Jessamyn. Jesus Christ. I need a sit down.

Edited by Supremo

58 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Then it hit me this morning. There's no better match for them to incorporate a weigh-in and a fight camp entrance than Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey at Wrestlemania. Holy shit. It couldn't be more perfect.

If this doesn’t happen now then Wrestlemania is ruined for me and it’ll be all your fault. Thanks ;)

• 2 months later...

I've just watched WCW between Fall Brawl and Halloween Havoc 97. It's fantastic.

- Flair gets fucked by Hennig in a shitty turn for the sake of a turn but then disbands the Horsemen and cuts a MEGA promo on the October 6th Nitro. "I am arguably, ARGUABLY the best WRESTLER ever. But I don't wanna wrestle you, I wanna fight!". Just great stuff.

- Hall is a complete bastard to referees and Zbysko. Him and Syxx are just two twats you want to smack. He has Luger at Havoc with Larry as the ref.

- Piper is back as acting Commissioner. Whatever that is. But he wants Hogan in a cage. The day after Hell In A Cell he screams that this will be the biggest and best cage match ever. Hmmm, not sure about that Rodders. Hogan comes down for a proper face off between two masters of the mic - and it's a great hype job. Piper steals the belt and swings it like he's throwing the Hammer.

- Eddie Guerrero is a complete greasy cunt. He's the Cruiserweight Champ, but Mysterio is after him. So Eddie tries to tske of Pyschosis' mask to threaten Rey. They'll face off in a title v mask match that probably might be worth a watch.

- DDP is over like Rover and left Savage in a neck brace after a Diamond Cutter to the floor. It's the decider in their six month feud.

- A bloke called Goldberg has just debuted. He seems promising. The crowd are already molten for him and he's had three matches. It's amazing when you present someone as a big deal then the crowd view them as just that. He proper fucked up Scotty Riggs on the guard rail though. Stiff old chap is Bill.

It's basically wonderful watching. The two hours just fly by.

Havoc 97 is an absolutely stacked card.

• Paid Members
On 12/29/2018 at 11:46 AM, Supremo said:

Then it hit me this morning. There's no better match for them to incorporate a weigh-in and a fight camp entrance than Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey at Wrestlemania. Holy shit. It couldn't be more perfect. Imagine them doing a weigh-in the night before Wrestlemania, flashbulbs going off, Becky screaming in Ronda's face during the face off, Vince or Triple H standing between them to stop them tearing each other apart. Imagine Becky walking from her locker room on the night with Bayley, Sasha and Charlotte. Ronda coming out with Shayna, Marina and Jessamyn. Jesus Christ. I need a sit down.

Fucking hell. Reading that back after seeing this thread had been bumped, now knowing what a pile of shit we ended up getting? I want to cry.

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

I've just watched WCW between Fall Brawl and Halloween Havoc 97. It's fantastic.

- Flair gets fucked by Hennig in a shitty turn for the sake of a turn but then disbands the Horsemen and cuts a MEGA promo on the October 6th Nitro. "I am arguably, ARGUABLY the best WRESTLER ever. But I don't wanna wrestle you, I wanna fight!". Just great stuff.

- Hall is a complete bastard to referees and Zbysko. Him and Syxx are just two twats you want to smack. He has Luger at Havoc with Larry as the ref.

- Piper is back as acting Commissioner. Whatever that is. But he wants Hogan in a cage. The day after Hell In A Cell he screams that this will be the biggest and best cage match ever. Hmmm, not sure about that Rodders. Hogan comes down for a proper face off between two masters of the mic - and it's a great hype job. Piper steals the belt and swings it like he's throwing the Hammer.

- Eddie Guerrero is a complete greasy cunt. He's the Cruiserweight Champ, but Mysterio is after him. So Eddie tries to tske of Pyschosis' mask to threaten Rey. They'll face off in a title v mask match that probably might be worth a watch.

- DDP is over like Rover and left Savage in a neck brace after a Diamond Cutter to the floor. It's the decider in their six month feud.

- A bloke called Goldberg has just debuted. He seems promising. The crowd are already molten for him and he's had three matches. It's amazing when you present someone as a big deal then the crowd view them as just that. He proper fucked up Scotty Riggs on the guard rail though. Stiff old chap is Bill.

It's basically wonderful watching. The two hours just fly by.

Havoc 97 is an absolutely stacked card.

That Guerrero vs Mysterio match is probably my favourite ever.

Everything they hit looks crisp as fuck, the storytelling with Guerrero tearing at the mask, even the mask being part of a body suit so Guerrero can’t take it off is genius. Plus Heenan puts over Guerrero like crazy on commentary.

It has everything.

• 8 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

Botchamania isn't super popular here, but he just hit episode 400.

If Botchamania isn't your thing, skip to 22.28 for the Bohemian Rhapsody sequence. Genuine love letter to WWE wrestling. I'll admit the closing moments got me. 

(though the WWF Warzone commentary outtakes at 20m are well worth it too)