Xmas : Presents advice and suggestions

RancidPunx

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Anyone recommend a record player? Daughter wants one. I'll be honest, I don't want to spend a fortune because it's probably her latest fad. After something simple with reasonable sound that won't knacker vinyl.

My Dad got me one of these last year and it's done me quite well;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Christow-Briefcase-Suitcase-Turntable-Bluetooth-Blue/dp/B01M74X2LP

71v1MRiemGL._SY355_.jpg

It works great for me but all I do is play old and used compilation albums from the 80's and 70's so I don't know how good the actual sound quality is, if you get what I mean. A brand new record might sound better on a more expensive bit of kit, for example.

Edited by Accident Prone

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

Not for Christmas but it's my Wife's birthday in a week or so. I've got her some stuff so I'm covered either way but I was wondering if any of you had made a pro custom photo book before?

I think she'd love one as all our photos are digital these days they tend to be relegated to Instagram and Facebook.

Is it doable in a week? Any tips? Any recommendations as to who to go with?

• Awards Moderator
30 minutes ago, DEF said:

made a pro custom photo book before?

Lots of times. Get all your photos downloaded and in one folder before you start, it'll make life much easier. And try and use the source image, some social media sites compress the image in a way that makes them print poorly. 

As for who to go with - I find them all much of a muchness, but a quick Google will tell you who has deals on. Tesco, Snapfish and Boots are always safe bets, and printing + delivery is usually about 5 days. Pay for express postage for peace of mind. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Lots of times. Get all your photos downloaded and in one folder before you start, it'll make life much easier. And try and use the source image, some social media sites compress the image in a way that makes them print poorly. 

As for who to go with - I find them all much of a muchness, but a quick Google will tell you who has deals on. Tesco, Snapfish and Boots are always safe bets, and printing + delivery is usually about 5 days. Pay for express postage for peace of mind. 

Cheers for that. I've got a little over a week but I'll definitely get express delivery.

• Paid Members

Used Tesco for one last Christmas. Came out well. Like Onyx says, get your photos together first. It won't like shit quality photos which is annoying when you can only find a good one on your Facebook or something. I spent ages faffing with it. Missus was pleased.

• Paid Members

Photobox has got 50-70% off at the min so you can probably get something quite fancy looking for not much extra. Most apps have an option to auto fill the book if you're in a rush. One tip i've used for this in the past is copy all the photos you want into a folder, right click and arrange by date taken them select them all and rename to whatever you want. It'll auto rename them to rename(1), rename(2) etc. this means when you upload them to the programme and choose auto fill they'll all be in chronolgical order. Saves you a LOT of time if you've got hundreds of photos.

• Paid Members

Great tips. Thanks. I'm lucky that I always keep the originals rather than dumping them on social media and deleting them. Will get on this tonight (work nights).

Thanks again guys.