Xmas : Presents advice and suggestions

RancidPunx

• Paid Members
On 11/16/2018 at 9:50 AM, BomberPat said:

I always buy my brother a joke present, maybe something daft that's usually a reference to something from when we were kids or a daft in-joke, and then maybe a book or an album, then do him a mix CD of music to check out - we've been doing that for years, and he's always been the easiest member of the family to buy for as a result.

I'm drawing a blank on the gift this year, though. Most of our conversations in recent months have been around Athletico Mince, and Bob Mortimer's appearances on Would I Lie To You?, so I was going to get him some Fuji 9, but it turns out it costs about £150, so fuck that. He's already got the Athletico Mince book, T-shirt, and most (if not all) Vic & Bob stuff on DVD, so I'm drawing a blank.

Anyone got any ideas of something perhaps a little more outside the box?

Don't know if you can order these, but it's perfect for the Mince fan in your life.

C07YFTKWEAAMZWl.jpg

• Paid Members

Advice needed.

My eldest is 7 and she's at the stage now where she's coming home and talking about Fortnite and the like.

It may be time to jump back into the console arena.

To the gamers out there, what console do you think would be best for a lass that age with a 5 year old hot on her heels.

I'm thinking a Switch, but Nintendo's consoles seem to have a short lifespan since the Wii boom all those years ago.

What console would be best, and what games would be great for them?

Edited by Teedy Kay

38 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Advice needed.

My eldest is 7 and she's at the stage now where she's coming home and talking about Fortnite and the like.

It may be time to jump back into the console arena.

To the gamers out there, what console do you think would be best for a lass that age with a 5 year old hot on her heels.

I'm thinking a Switch, but Nintendo's consoles seem to have a short lifespan since the Wii boom all those years ago.

What console would be best, and what games would be great for them?

100% Switch. I've spent the day playing Mario Kart and Fortnite with a 5 year old. The beauty of Nintendo is the array  of games that are universally playable for everyone. The Switch has out sold the Wii U already and there's already a second model in the offing next year so its definitely not going anywhere. Only downside is lack of cheapo games but at 7 years old I don't imagine she'll need more than Fortnite plus a couple others. Just don't get sucked in to the Fortnite bundle they try to sell unsuspecting parents.

5 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

The WiiU – which has basically been written off as a failure even by Nintendo themselves – had a lifespan of 4 years and 4 months. It's a bit on the short side compared to most consoles (still longer than the original Xbox, mind), but the main reason it seems short is that we're old now and those years go by in the blink of an eye. 

A Switch will last your eldest until she's a teenager. When you're a kid, that amount of time feels like forever. It should be a worthwhile investment. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

100% Switch. I've spent the day playing Mario Kart and Fortnite with a 5 year old. The beauty of Nintendo is the array  of games that are universally playable for everyone. The Switch has out sold the Wii U already and there's already a second model in the offing next year so its definitely not going anywhere. Only downside is lack of cheapo games but at 7 years old I don't imagine she'll need more than Fortnite plus a couple others. Just don't get sucked in to the Fortnite bundle they try to sell unsuspecting parents.

i picked one up for my missus' 7 year old boy for Xmas. Was against the idea at first but i figured its something i get to play too so ive picked one up 😁

There are quite a few games around the £20 mark out there too. We are gonna get Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 to start off though.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Anyone know of any places that currently stock the 3rd Amazon Gen Echo dot?

The price is pretty great at £25, but I can't seem to find any in stock, even in Amazon. 

Have you tried the Supermarkets? I managed to get a couple of Chromecasts , £20 at the moment,from Tesco. Argos and Currys were sold out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

My sister's other half is a complete and utter nob, and a thieving bastard to boot (possibly a kleptomaniac). We were out for a family meal yesterday and he pulls me to one side, telling me some bloke he knows is selling something that might be a good idea for my 6yo son for Xmas...

Fake Rolex and Calvin Klein watches. For a 6 year old boy.

Dickhead.

• 4 weeks later...