Stan Lee RIP (1922-2018)

MVP RULZ

• Paid Members
Just now, PowerButchi said:

I know next to bugger all about him, but on a forum I frequent it's pretty much people calling him a thief. Is there much to that?

He collaborated a lot and lots of his classic stories were a threadbare outline with the artists filling in everything else but he was happy to be positioned as the figurehead and take the vast majority of credit. Still a total one of a kind legend with a huge imprint on pop culture though. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

The last thing I remember hearing about him in the past couple of years was some rumour or concern about him being mistreated or taken advantage of by those close to him at the time. Did that blow over? I haven't seen it mentioned in the wake of his passing.

It never really blew over. I know some people who work the comics convention circuit, and they were talking about it as a bit of an open secret long before there was a big news story around it - he was basically shuffled from public appearance to public appearance, his management took more and more control of his life after his wife died, kept him isolated from his family and so on. He eventually got a restraining order against them, if I remember correctly, but the whole mess probably went on in some form for longer than anyone ever really knew.

30 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I know next to bugger all about him, but on a forum I frequent it's pretty much people calling him a thief. Is there much to that?

It's been a bit of a touchy subject for decades - because he's the public face of Marvel, he tends to be credited for work that wasn't necessarily his (or not solely his), and did very little to dissuade people of that notion. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a thief, but he had no problem dining out on being "the creator of Spider-Man". 

What tends to go unacknowledged by those who criticise Stan Lee for that is that Steve Ditko was never in the public eye, never wanted to be, and was a diehard Ayn Rand fanatic who claimed, "a day's work a day's pay is a man's only right" - he wasn't a man who seemed to have any interest in resting on his laurels, or being celebrated for characters he had a hand in creating, whereas Stan Lee's whole brand was that he was the mastermind behind it all. 

It's very telling that, while practically everyone on my Facebook feed is mourning Stan Lee, I don't think more than one or two of them had anything to say when Ditko passed away earlier this year.

• Paid Members

Yesterday on Fatman Beyond Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin told stories about experiences with Stan Lee and his influence on pop culture.

I've just watched it and if you want to hear some fun and touching stories about Kevin's long history with Stan then it's well worth a watch.

Needless to say that if you're not a Smith fan then this probably isn't for you as it's mainly from his perspective and chock full of the swears. But I loved it.

Archived