Stan Lee RIP (1922-2018)

MVP RULZ

I Know it's been mentioned in the Death thread but surely Stan Lee deserves his own thread 

Legend is thrown around a lot but for Stan Lee it is more then deserved

He has given countless people so many happy childhood memories growing up with his characters and for a lot of us adult memories too

95 is a great age but his death still has come as a bit of shock even tho there has been news of him being in and out of hospital a lot more frequently over the last few years

The boom of Marvel over the past decade or so has given him a great final chapter to his life and brought his work and characters a whole new life and audience

His legacy will love long into the future

RIP STAN LEE

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's a very strange feeling of loss with him; I know so much about his creations and they've shaped and influenced me so heavily, but I know very little about him personally apart from the fact that he always seemed like a nice old man.

I highly recommend the feature length interview he did Stan Lee's Mutants Monsters and Marvel's. It's on Amazon instant and can be rented for a couple of quid. It's tremendous. Also if you can find it the podcast Fatman on Batman #34 Stan Lee 'Nuff Said is even better but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

I absolutely love his work and it's a sad loss. He will be missed. Putting aside his tremendous creations he was also such a wonderful joy to listen to. A truly fascinating guy.

With Great Pride Comes Great Responsibility and he helped shape kids and adults alike for the better.

R.I.P Stan

Absolutely gutted that the great man has gone to the big drawing board in the Sky but what a legacy to leave. From creating many iconic characters alongside Ditko and Kirkby to making hysterically memorable cameos in the MCU and other Marvel movies, thank you Mr Lee for making every one of us True Believers, RIP and Excelsior

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's a very strange feeling of loss with him; I know so much about his creations and they've shaped and influenced me so heavily, but I know very little about him personally apart from the fact that he always seemed like a nice old man.

If you get the chance hunt down one of the books on the history of Marvel, they are great reads. His history with Ditko and Kirby is a little murky and there’s arguments about how involved he was with some of the creations but there’s no denying that he *was* involved with some of the most iconic characters in comic book history. He also made himself a character, talking to the readers directly, making the staff at marvel part of the comics and was one of the first guys to realise there was money in selling character licences. 

A huge part of my childhood and a genuine pop culture icon. 

• Paid Members

What a man - to have the creativity to come up with such a mad cast of characters and with the kind of shelf life they'd go on to have is incredible really. What a legacy he'll leave on as well because they'll virtually never go out of date - they'll constantly make new comics about them, film reboots, etc etc. 

• Paid Members

I’m a massive fan of geeky things. Mainly Disney and wrestling. But Comic Books have been in my life for as long as I can remember. I watched all the cartoons and in the early to mid 90’s would spend most weekends going to comic shops locally or if I was lucky, the old Forbidden Planet on New Oxford St. 

X-Men and Spider-Man were my favourites. I loved the cartoons, the video games, the toys and comics. Though my love of comics took a back seat at the millennium as I started work, I never stopped caring. Soon after the first X-Men film was released in 2000 and finally I got to see an amazing Marvel live action film of my beloved characters (Blade was great yeah, but I never loved the character pre film). Then Spider-Man came 2 years later and suddenly comic book films were the new hot ticket.

10 years ago we got Iron Man. The film was great, and still is, but what was even better was when Disney bought Marvel and made the MCU a reality, now arguably the biggest movie franchise around.

And the reason for this long rambling post, is because, just like Walt Disney WAS Disney, Stan Lee WAS Marvel. And I was never a DC Comics fan, so “Stan the Man’s” creation were EVERYTHING to me as a kid. And not just my generation, but every generation for the last 50 years and now a new generation are falling in love with them in the same way I did. 

Stan Lee wasn’t just the old guy who turned up in every Marvel movie. He was a creator. He gave people a voice. He helped create some of the greatest characters ever known which inspire people, all around the world, everyday. He kept Marvel going even when it was going bust. He will be remembered for being a legend. His impact on Pop Culture will never be forgotten. Despite being ill for a long time, his death has upset me more then I thought it would. I guess I never really considered how much influence Marvel has had in my life until now.

What Stan was utterly great as was as a salesman and an orator. The Bullpen Bulletins is a huge reason why Marvel went massive in the 60s/70s. He could really connect with the reader with his sense of humour. We all know the Kirby/Ditko issues, but without Stan you could argue that those characters would never as been huge as they were.

Very gutting that those guys are now all gone. Brilliant the lot of them. What a life he had though.

The last thing I remember hearing about him in the past couple of years was some rumour or concern about him being mistreated or taken advantage of by those close to him at the time. Did that blow over? I haven't seen it mentioned in the wake of his passing.

I think it ultimately got sorted, but yes there was a lot of people trying to take advantage of him. His assistant for many years got let go and people couldn't even get in touch with him. This was also coupled with the fact that there are a lot of stories about his daughter using him as a bank (I don't know the truth of that)  So there was a lot of misinformation and conflicting claims about the situation. I think it managed to get sorted. I know a lot of the industry players like McFarlane were offering their help and support to him.

Archived