25 Years Deep: Favourite Moments

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Exactly. If it was only good fights we wanted to see then we’re already getting a ton of them anyway. There’s never been more quality MMA to watch. TUF is the one thing they should’ve made different. Obviously you still have to have fights on there but TUF was at its best when it focused on being a TV show and let you get to know the characters and personalities more at the house. Then when they do make it to the UFC, half the work is done and you’re already invested in them whether you want them to win or lose. I mean, if they focused purely on the fights and training on TUF 1 and didn’t show how much of a dick Koscheck was then nobody would’ve gave a fuck watching him in the UFC. Instead he came in with name recognition right off the bat and people wanted to see him get fucked up. Guys like Forrest Griffin, Josh Koscheck, Stephan Bonnar, Diego Sanchez, Chris Leben, Michael Bisping, Matt Serra and so on were helped massively because TUF focused on personalities back then.

I can reel off names and characters and quotes and favourite moments from the first 10 series with ease. Ask me about the last 5 seasons and I’m stumped. I’d have to really stop and think. They all just blend together in my head into one big lump of nothingness. A show like TUF should always be about people first and foremost. It’s why I can remember the show’s jobbers like Strangebrew, Wayne Weems, Andy Wang and Titties Schoonoever but I’m fucked if I can name the last 5 actual TUF winners. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

honestly, when Mike Trizano came out as the 'TUF Season' winner on last weekends show i had no idea who he was.

When fans were clamouring for TUF to be more serious i think it was a time when people were pining for fights, they just wanted as much MMA as they could get because it was fresh and new, and they wanted it taken seriously. Its the complete opposite now, TUF needs to be a drama filled TV show more than ever, fights without drama can be pretty boring.

• Paid Members

“I’m not a little bird”. 

I’m not overly patriotic when it comes to MMA or Boxing. I like who I like wherever they’re from. But McSweeney was definitely the first British fighter I rooted against hard. I’m glad he amounted to sod all. The fact he sticks out in the memory as such a prick when he really wasn’t even around all that long says it all. 

• Paid Members

I loved old sour Jim Brown doing commentary on the first few UFC. Like he knows shit about it all. Loved the whole sleaziness of the first couple too. It was like an 80s martial arts film. "Bloodsport" coming to life. KUMITE! KUMITE!

Maybe showing my age a bit, but I remember coming out of hospital with a broken leg and a few mates coming round with some beers and a VHS tape of a "no holds barred fighting event."

We all sat there, boxing enthusiasts one and all, and watched as Art Jimmerson came out to face a little guy in pyjamas while wearing one boxing glove. I look back now and realise how ridiculous the one glove must seem, but back then we're thinking "holy shit, if a professional boxer cracks a little guy like the guy in the white pyjamas with a hook while not wearing a glove he'll fucking kill him!"

I mean, as a younger lad you maybe assume that the reason boxers wear gloves is a combination of them being super-hard punchers and not wanting to damage their hands, right?

Anyway, we watch as both guys tumble to the floor, then the referee stops the fight. Not one of us knew what had happened. As we saw the replays we came to realise what had actually gone on, and simply couldn't believe it. As the event unfolded in front of us we quickly caught on to what was happening, especially when a dude who looked like he could legit be "the world's most dangerous man" fought the baggy pyjama-wearing dork and also fell on the floor before giving up.

Been hooked since then, passing through the VHS phase, to the DVD phase, to the online and torrent phase. Fans today have never had it so fucking good. Having to scour shady outdoor markets for DVD's and VHS's with rubbish photocopied covers so you could see the next instalment is a far cry from firing up your iPad and watch BT on demand.

Archived